Article at asahi.com: Amikai and Excite doing MT of Word, Excel, Powerpoint docs
Thread poster: jsl (X)
jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 10:49
English to Japanese
+ ...
Feb 4, 2003

A news article from asahi.com:

http://www.asahi.com/tech/apc/K2003020400396.html

Anu
Anu
Local time: 07:19
English to Japanese
+ ...
Interesting article Feb 4, 2003

Very interesting article...what, however,remains to be seen is the accuracy level of such software translations!

In your opinion, how reliable are these translation software tools?

Kaori Myatt
Kaori Myatt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:49
English to Japanese
+ ...
グーグルでもやってますよね。 Feb 4, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-04 03:22, daisuke wrote:

グーグルでもヨーロッパ言語を中心に機械翻訳やってますよね。イタリア語やフランス語のサイトを�... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-04 03:22, daisuke wrote:

グーグルでもヨーロッパ言語を中心に機械翻訳やってますよね。イタリア語やフランス語のサイトを一瞬で翻訳してくれて、比べてみたりするのに役立ちます。

日本語でも機械翻訳のウェップサイトはよく見かけますが、言いたい事は分かるよ、うんって感じですね。

決して洗練された翻訳ではないにしろ、助かるツールではないでしょうか。

でも、やはり人間の翻訳にはまだまだ遠いですね。

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:49
SITE FOUNDER
The translation technology is licensed Feb 4, 2003

As I understand, Amikai\'s approach is to license what they consider to be the best automatic translation technology, and then market it in a package. Therefore, the accuracy will be just as good as already exists in MT from other companies. The sales point here is that the MT service can be applied to Word, Excel and Powerpoint docs without loss of formatting. I guess some people will find this convenient.

jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 10:49
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My point should have been mentioned Feb 4, 2003

I should have mentioned my point in my original message. What I am anxious about is that this kind of service may potentially reduce the number of translation projects that we are making our own living with, although we all know that the translation of those services is awful. It is quick and inexpensive, and some may put up with those bad translations. I have tried them before, and some of them are easy to understand and readable, and others are incomprehensible. However, those who can be p... See more
I should have mentioned my point in my original message. What I am anxious about is that this kind of service may potentially reduce the number of translation projects that we are making our own living with, although we all know that the translation of those services is awful. It is quick and inexpensive, and some may put up with those bad translations. I have tried them before, and some of them are easy to understand and readable, and others are incomprehensible. However, those who can be patient with compositions written by Japanese learners may accept that level. We, as translators, seek high quality translations, but this may not apply to some people.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article at asahi.com: Amikai and Excite doing MT of Word, Excel, Powerpoint docs

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »