Hepburn romaji - how can I put the bar over the extended vowels?
Thread poster: Ellen Kapusniak (X)
Ellen Kapusniak (X)
Ellen Kapusniak (X)
Local time: 04:27
Japanese to English
Feb 24, 2003

I teach Japanese as well as translate, and I need to write class materials in romaji occasionally. I wondered if any of you guys knew of a way to put the bar over the extended vowel sounds (aa,ou etc.) that is needed when using hepburn romaji using MS Word 2000. I have the Japanese IME installed if this is any help. At the moment I have to put in these bars manually before copying materials, and it doesn\'t look too good.

horse
horse
Local time: 12:27
English to Japanese
+ ...
bars Feb 24, 2003

Although I never use them myself, you can find them in the 挿入 pull down menu. In my case, it¥'s Word 98 but I would expect 2000 is quite similar. (this is just a guess) Anyway, I found the alphabet with the bars over them in the 記号と特殊文字 in the MS P明朝 font. Have I been of any help ? Hope so !

Ellen Kapusniak (X)
Ellen Kapusniak (X)
Local time: 04:27
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
ありがとう! Feb 26, 2003

Brilliant! Now why couldn\'t I find it myself... doh!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hepburn romaji - how can I put the bar over the extended vowels?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »