Migrating MQ 9.4 to a new Windows 10 computer
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
German to English
Aug 31, 2021

I'm in the unfortunate position of having to migrate software and data to a new computer (old computer Win 10 still functional – so far). I've let my MQ support renewal lapse since I have no need for all the new features. Thus I have to rely on the advice of colleagues.
The online instructions for moving resources, settings, TMs, etc. involve multiple individual steps involving exporting to TMX, CSV formats, etc. then reimporting.
After installing the software, is it possible just
... See more
I'm in the unfortunate position of having to migrate software and data to a new computer (old computer Win 10 still functional – so far). I've let my MQ support renewal lapse since I have no need for all the new features. Thus I have to rely on the advice of colleagues.
The online instructions for moving resources, settings, TMs, etc. involve multiple individual steps involving exporting to TMX, CSV formats, etc. then reimporting.
After installing the software, is it possible just to move the contents of C:\ProgramData\MemoQ\*.* to the new computer? All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

[Edited at 2021-08-31 16:05 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:36
Danish to English
+ ...
My home-made migration procedure Aug 31, 2021

I described how I did it here: https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/329323-transferring_license_from_one_pc_to_another_one.html .

It may or may not work for you. Caveat emptor.

There is presently no supported migration procedure, but the company is looking into how to improve things and they are also lookin
... See more
I described how I did it here: https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/329323-transferring_license_from_one_pc_to_another_one.html .

There is presently no supported migration procedure, but the company is looking into how to improve things and they are also looking into many other suggestions for improvements from translators. They admit that for a number of years, they were mostly focused on agencies' needs and not so much on translators' and they are actively trying to improve that now in collaboration with translators.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'll give a try Aug 31, 2021

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Your instructions were very clear, and the analogies quite clever. I hope they'll work on my computer.
I'm in the process of copying the project files: 250K items. Ostensibly it will take 4+ hours. I can can use the time to set up my email and the browser.
Thanks!

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
You can just email them via the support form on their website Aug 31, 2021

In my exeprience, they respond within 5 minutes and give good advice anyway... whether or not you actually own a current license (I've never owned one, just CAL licenses from clients).

If you want to avoid making it obvious, don't mention that the version in question is 9.4 and they should tell you everything you need. 9.X versions should be structurally similar, differences in migration procedures are unlikely.

[Edited at 2021-08-31 19:16 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Pointless to contact support about general migration advice Aug 31, 2021

Adieu wrote:

In my exeprience, they respond within 5 minutes and give good advice anyway... whether or not you actually own a current license (I've never owned one, just CAL licenses from clients).

As I described in my migration procedure, support has no useful advice to give about migration because they have no migration procedure, so that would be a waste of time if the purpose is to get an idea how to migrate.

But they are actively considering how to handle this in the future, so maybe in the future.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Another option Aug 31, 2021

Another option for migrating memoQ is to clone the entire drive with the entire system, possibly using a full-disk backup and disaster recovery tool such as Acronis. I think that's what I'll do next time I need to migrate to new hardware. Then I won't need to waste 1-2 weeks reconfiguring everything. But the drivers and a few system tools many need manual installation.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
another possibility Aug 31, 2021

If you don't have admin rights and can't do as Thomas Frost suggested, you can try what I did. I also posted on that same thread that he mentioned.

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Don't need project files Sep 1, 2021

MollyRose wrote:

If you don't have admin rights and can't do as Thomas Frost suggested, you can try what I did. I also posted on that same thread that he mentioned.

I agree with your post elsewhere, there's no need for project files, something that occurred to me once I had started downloading 250K items. The TMs and termbases contain all the information I need. I have the final output files in the unlikely event someone might request a copy.

Once this task is completed, I still have to migrate my email and browser configurations/data before I can start working with the new machine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrating MQ 9.4 to a new Windows 10 computer

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »