Thread poster: Andrea Marchiaro
Andrea Marchiaro
Andrea Marchiaro  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 09:17
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
Sep 15, 2021

Hello, everyone, I need help with MemoQ.
I have a client who send me xtml files (Wordfast files) and since I don't have it, I create a project on MemoQ (which I know is compatible).
I'm trying to import a TM -which is a txt file with 261 MB- and it gives me this error (the import goes to 99% and then it sends me this):

General error.
TYPE:
System.OutOfMemoryException

Array dimensions exceeded supported range.

SOURCE:... See more
Hello, everyone, I need help with MemoQ.
I have a client who send me xtml files (Wordfast files) and since I don't have it, I create a project on MemoQ (which I know is compatible).
I'm trying to import a TM -which is a txt file with 261 MB- and it gives me this error (the import goes to 99% and then it sends me this):

General error.
TYPE:
System.OutOfMemoryException

Array dimensions exceeded supported range.

SOURCE:
mscorlib

What is the meaning? Is there a way to fix it?
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 14:17
English to German
In memoriam
Simply cut it in two? Sep 15, 2021

The memory error MemoQ reports here can have all kinds of reasons and be misleading. Maybe you should simply try to cut this TM file into smaller chunks and import them piecemeal into the TM?

Also, check the content of the text file, maybe the internal structure is incorrect (for example wrong separators, incorrect character set, oversized entries or whatnot). If there is a problem with one particularly entry, you also could narrow it down by cutting the file into pieces and importi
... See more
The memory error MemoQ reports here can have all kinds of reasons and be misleading. Maybe you should simply try to cut this TM file into smaller chunks and import them piecemeal into the TM?

Also, check the content of the text file, maybe the internal structure is incorrect (for example wrong separators, incorrect character set, oversized entries or whatnot). If there is a problem with one particularly entry, you also could narrow it down by cutting the file into pieces and importing them separately. (When doing this, you might have to restore the header line in all the parts, but this depends on the internal format of the text file)
Collapse

Andrea Marchiaro
Andrea Marchiaro  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 09:17
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I need help importing a txt file to a TM in MemoQ Sep 15, 2021

Thank you, Kay, it is very helpful what you just said. But... do you know how to split a .txt file into smaller ones?

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 14:17
English to German
In memoriam
Plain text editor for large text files Sep 15, 2021

You can do this with a plain text editor for large text files, for example UltraEdit. But of course it is a good idea to know what you are doing here. If you are unsure about dealing with plain text files containing some kind of structured data, you'd better refrain from that. Where does the TM come from, also from the client? Maybe you can ask the source of the TM to provide it in smaller chunks. 261 MB sounds like a lot (but normally MemoQ should be able to handle it).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need help importing a txt file to a TM in MemoQ

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »