Termbase troubles
Thread poster: Paul Smith 1865
Paul Smith 1865
Paul Smith 1865
Netherlands
Local time: 13:13
Dutch to English
Sep 19, 2021

I wonder if anyone can help with a problem I’ve had with MemoQ termbases for years?

Termbase results often show up in duplicate (same source, same target) in the translation pane, while at the same time often a source/target pair that is in the termbase is not shown if the source term is the same as one that is shown (and is sometimes even missing when I use Translation > Look up term).

When I make a termbase entry, I often see that it has already been made but is lis
... See more
I wonder if anyone can help with a problem I’ve had with MemoQ termbases for years?

Termbase results often show up in duplicate (same source, same target) in the translation pane, while at the same time often a source/target pair that is in the termbase is not shown if the source term is the same as one that is shown (and is sometimes even missing when I use Translation > Look up term).

When I make a termbase entry, I often see that it has already been made but is listed as a ‘Duplicate’ (which it isn’t – it’s an alternative translation of the source term).

It’s so bad I’ve given up using the termbase function and put new terms in an Excel file but would like to go back to using termbase as it’s more convenient.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:13
English to Russian
Multiple languages Sep 19, 2021

Probably this behavior is caused by multiple languages used in your TB. Make sure you have only one language pair and use that TB with projects using the same language pair. If your TB is EN_gb don't use it in editable mode with EN_us projects. You can use a different language TB only for reading, but not editing. When in an EN_gb project you add an EN_us term, memoQ adds the EN_us variant to your TB languages.
Try to export your TB into an Excel file, check it, and carry out some mainten
... See more
Probably this behavior is caused by multiple languages used in your TB. Make sure you have only one language pair and use that TB with projects using the same language pair. If your TB is EN_gb don't use it in editable mode with EN_us projects. You can use a different language TB only for reading, but not editing. When in an EN_gb project you add an EN_us term, memoQ adds the EN_us variant to your TB languages.
Try to export your TB into an Excel file, check it, and carry out some maintenance if needed. By maintenance I mean making a single EN column (it may be EN, or EN_gb, or EN_us, or EN_anythingelse) instead of multiple columns.

[Edited at 2021-09-19 22:14 GMT]
Collapse

Paul Smith 1865

Paul Smith 1865
Paul Smith 1865
Netherlands
Local time: 13:13
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 21, 2021

I'll certainly give that a try. I do indeed use EN_GB and EN_US in the same termbase.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbase troubles

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »