Microsoft has blocked macros from running because the source of the file is untrusted
Thread poster: Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 18:19
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Nov 11, 2023

Anyone knows how to resolve this annoying prompt from coming up every time you switch to a different project? The supposedly problematic file in my case if

"C:\Users\komin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Word\~WRC3842.tmp"

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:19
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Steps to troubleshoot Nov 12, 2023

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/keep-getting-the-error-microsoft-has-blocked/bb077295-d284-42e5-981e-a91dd62d0ac6

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:19
Serbian to English
+ ...
Computing 101 Nov 12, 2023

"C:\Users\komin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Word\~WRC3842.tmp"
is file on YOUR computer.

Unless you want to turn your personal computer into a file server open to the whole world, no one in this forum can know what's in "~WRC3842.tmp".

Microsoft Word macros were for a long time an insidious source of all sort of malware. Initially "for user's convenience" all and any macros were allowed by default, until Microsoft finally decided to put secur
... See more

Unless you want to turn your personal computer into a file server open to the whole world, no one in this forum can know what's in "~WRC3842.tmp".

Microsoft Word macros were for a long time an insidious source of all sort of malware. Initially "for user's convenience" all and any macros were allowed by default, until Microsoft finally decided to put security before marketing and do something about it.

Are you sure your want to trust this macro? The location of the file (in INetCache) shows that your MS word document was downloaded from the Web - do you really trust the source, and did you ask yourself why would NOT running a macro would make this document unusable? There should be some special reason for that - macros are rarely really needed.

You may want to take a look at this https://www.thewindowsclub.com/temporary-internet-files-folder-location
Collapse

Kirill Loktionov

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 18:19
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now resolved Nov 13, 2023

Daryo wrote:

Microsoft Word macros were for a long time an insidious source of all sort of malware. Initially "for user's convenience" all and any macros were allowed by default, until Microsoft finally decided to put security before marketing and do something about it.

Are you sure your want to trust this macro? The location of the file (in INetCache) shows that your MS word document was downloaded from the Web - do you really trust the source, and did you ask yourself why would NOT running a macro would make this document unusable? There should be some special reason for that - macros are rarely really needed.

You may want to take a look at this https://www.thewindowsclub.com/temporary-internet-files-folder-location

One important thing I forgot to mention: this issue has started exactly upon my first use of a self-created Word macro, so I never assumed any malware scenarios in the first place. Not sure what on earth INetCache is.

Anyway, after an Office reinstall (or an upgrade from 2019 to 2021, in fact), the issue now seems resolved, so thank you all. I got a reply from the excellent memoQ Support that the problem has been known and is resolved since some 10.X.X release, but this wasn't the case on my end until the Office reinstall.

The one doubt that I have now is whether I should even try creating any macros in Word right now (on my own, for own use). It's a newly discovered and very useful feature for me that streamlines work on complex OCR projects.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft has blocked macros from running because the source of the file is untrusted

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »