Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:13
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trapped Feb 21

20240221_080400-50%
We have had the first proper rain for some time, and the ford across the track is flooded up to the level of the footbridge (the strip of muddy stone in the centre of the photo). The Land Cruiser would get through easily enough, but it's in the garage for its MOT. It would be touch and go in the Toyota Vitz, which wasn't designed for off-roading or fording.

Our rule of thumb is that if the water comes over the top of your wellies, it's too deep for the little car. I tried walking into the stream and I got wet feet, so instead of taking the kids to school we turned around and came back to the house. It's not worth risking a hydrolocked engine. We'll try again in a couple of hours.

Yesterday I translated a bit less than 6000 characters, and it was slow and annoying work, just like the day before. I was tired by the end of it, which was not helped by Trados Studio deciding not to export the Word file I needed. Today I have another 6000 to translate for a different project, and I'm hoping it's going to be more enjoyable.

Dan

Christopher Schröder

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Small is sometimes beautiful Feb 21

An "additional" job that that was meant to be around 6000 characters has come in at a small fraction of that, which is actually fine by me as it would have been a significant effort to get it completed by the deadline.

Onward we go...

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A splash of purple Feb 22

Crikey. The water is still gushing under the two gates at the edge of the woodland when the dog and I go by, and Badger Hollow (which is usually dry) has a stream running through it. Too much rain on already saturated ground. We go down to check the ford, which was impassable in the small car until noon yesterday.

At the final bend just before the stream the dog suddenly takes off and I catch a glimpse of eyes further down the track, which promptly disappear as whatever it is turns
... See more
Crikey. The water is still gushing under the two gates at the edge of the woodland when the dog and I go by, and Badger Hollow (which is usually dry) has a stream running through it. Too much rain on already saturated ground. We go down to check the ford, which was impassable in the small car until noon yesterday.

At the final bend just before the stream the dog suddenly takes off and I catch a glimpse of eyes further down the track, which promptly disappear as whatever it is turns tail and whisks into the woodland to the left of the track, just before the water. Biscuit plunges into the trees after it but realizes that he is never going to catch up. After casting around for a few seconds he returns to the track looking pleased with himself. I don't know why, given that the fox left him for dead, again.

I wade into the water at the ford a bit before 6:30 AM, but stop at the point where the water reaches the top of my wellies. It probably gets an inch or two deeper. I decide that at this point I would not drive through in the little car, but as it is no longer raining the ford will probably subside over the next 90 minutes. I also decide that I have a leak in my left boot, because my heel is wet.

We go back to the house for coffee and kibble respectively.

I translated slightly under 6000 characters yesterday, for an end client holding an exhibition about one of its businesses. It has sought feedback and opinions from people who used to work in this division, many of whom are retired.

Most are upbeat and positive, affirming the success of an operation that has tripled in size over the past decade or so.
One is quite moving in his wistfulness. "I am old," says this gentleman, a former director of this business unit "and I have nothing to look forward to." When asked his views on the future of the business, he says that he fears that the spirit of the two people who originally founded this part of the business, and drove it through their energy and entrepreneurship, is being lost.

"Should we not spend some time looking back to ascertain what it was that got us to where we are today?" he asks. "I regret not doing more of that when I was working. I was so ignorant..." It saddens me to read this, and his other comments.

With what I submitted yesterday the job is already half-complete, and the deadline for the remainder is fairly relaxed. I will work on it over the next couple of days. I also have about an hour of work to do to finish another project. Meanwhile, a client cancels, with apologies, the 2000 character job that was scheduled to come in today. Fine, it didn't look terribly interesting anyway.

So things are looking quite quiet at the moment, but I have learned that it is at such times that clients pop up with projects with tight deadlines, and in the blink of an eye everything switches to full-speed-ahead mode.

I notice a Vinca flowering in the hedge between the garden and the field, and the hazels are full of catkins.

20240220_131305-50%

20240221_143103-50%
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bang Feb 22

And there you have it. A regular client comes in with a request for me to translate a press release for an end client for which I do quite a bit of work (one of my "regulars"). It's a bit over 2000 characters, and the deadline is not tight. So that's replaced the cancelled job from the other client.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
National Cat Day in Japan Feb 22

I forgot to mention earlier that today is National Cat Day in Japan, and Twitter is basically going wild with cat images. Here is a delightful one thought to be by Utagawa Yoshifuji, showing a hot spring for cats. Presumably late 19th century.

Clipboard Image

P.L.F. Persio

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A lazy morning Feb 23

Chilly but dry here.

We have a scheduled power outage this morning as part of an ongoing program of infrastructure replacement in the area that has been in sporadic progress for the past 12 months. That means that from 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM I will not be able to work. Sometime around 8 AM we will power down all devices and then close the main switchboard.

Instead of working I'm going to pop into Cardigan during the morning, after taking the kids to school, to (1) have Gare
... See more
Chilly but dry here.

We have a scheduled power outage this morning as part of an ongoing program of infrastructure replacement in the area that has been in sporadic progress for the past 12 months. That means that from 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM I will not be able to work. Sometime around 8 AM we will power down all devices and then close the main switchboard.

Instead of working I'm going to pop into Cardigan during the morning, after taking the kids to school, to (1) have Gareth the mobile phone man in the market replace the battery in a Samsung S21 smartphone which is bulging suspiciously, (2) get my hair cut, and (3) drop in at my mother's house for a cup of tea and a chat.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:13
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
ねこ (Neko) Extravaganza Feb 23

Dan Lucas wrote:

I forgot to mention earlier that today is National Cat Day in Japan, and Twitter is basically going wild with cat images. Here is a delightful one thought to be by Utagawa Yoshifuji, showing a hot spring for cats. Presumably late 19th century.

Marvellous!

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nya Feb 23

P.L.F. Persio wrote:
Marvellous!

Yes, a lovely picture and an amusing day. Japanese users were having fun inserting little puns into product names and so on, based around the noise a cat is supposed to make in Japanese which is a kind of "nya" or "nyaa" sound. So Häagen-Dazs temporarily became Häagen-Nyazs, and so on.

haagen-50%

Back in the UK, specifically St Dogmaels, My mother's two cats were not particularly pleased to see me, but the larger and fatter of the two siblings has grudgingly acknowledged my right to be there every now and again. His sister flees up the spiral staircase to sit in the dark when I appear...

After my mother had left for her yoga lesson I sat at the kitchen table with the new laptop and slowly installed a bunch of software. I was surprised to find that Dragon NaturallySpeaking worked really well on the laptop even just using the built in mic. I honestly felt it was about level with the performance of my desktop with the big stand-alone microphone. Perhaps it is the extra performance of the laptop that I have to thank for that?

In other news, Pembrokeshire was recently named the most beautiful place to live in the UK. Well, it is inevitably all very subjective, and there are some pretty gritty areas even in this county. Overall, however, it is a lovely place to reside.

P.L.F. Persio

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Though I sang in my chains like the sea Feb 24

self-sufficiency

A chilly 2.8C on our walk this morning, and drizzly, although the sky to the west is lit by a sinking moon half-hidden by clouds, and the sky to the east is lit by a hint of dawn. Yesterday afternoon I was happy to see the daffodils flowering in the sunshine in the verges and on the roundabouts on the outskirts of Cardigan, but today it feels a bit wintry again.

In a recent post, Chris made a passing reference to "Dan's whole 'Good Life' thing". For those who don't understand the cultural reference, I suggest you take a look at this. In the United Kingdom, the phrase is often used in relation to people leaving the rat race and city for idyllic lives in the countryside. Obviously, those relocations don't always go as planned...

Chris's comment amused me because in one way he was quite right: I grew up on smallholdings and farms in West Wales, so my entire childhood was a kind of "Good Life". My parents did the whole self-sufficiency thing. We grew vegetables, kept our own house cows, pigs, and sheep. We milked the two cows by hand, of course, resulting in quantities of milk and cream from which we also made our own butter and cheese. Additionally, excess livestock were slaughtered for meat, most of which ended up in the freezer.

We ploughed fields using a little gray Fergie, and planted crops. In June or July we cut hay to make small bales that filled the barn in which we stored them with the scent of summer. When it snowed in the winter of 1981, we dragged that hay and other fodder out to the sheep in the fields on a sledge. Behind the house there was an orchard of apple trees (which we children climbed) with a stream at the bottom of it (in which we dabbled and made dams). The owls lived in the roof space, the rabbits on the fringes of the garden, and the foxes on the hill.

Was it idyllic? I suppose for children it mostly was, except that we had to help out on the farm quite a bit, which we resented as we got older. But if you set that aside, it was a good childhood with few worries and a lot of running around outside.

Now as I was young and easy under the apple boughs
About the lilting house and happy as the grass was green,
The night above the dingle starry,
Time let me hail and climb
Golden in the heydays of his eyes,
And honoured among wagons I was prince of the apple towns
And once below a time I lordly had the trees and leaves
Trail with daisies and barley
Down the rivers of the windfall light.

So when I came back from decades in London and Tokyo to live in Wales, I knew exactly what it would be like, and frankly there were some aspects of rural life of which I wanted no part. I wanted land, but I didn't want livestock, I didn't want to grow my own vegetables, and I didn't want to be living a low-impact existence in a yurt or something, weaving baskets for income. I like my creature comforts, including central heating and a good internet connection.

Ironically, today I live only 20 minutes' walk over the fields from the farm at which John Seymour lived and wrote "Self Sufficiency", probably the classic book that defined the genre. My own parents had a copy, which I pored over as a small child. I think, having since that time heard a little about John from his friends and family, that although sincere it wasn't necessarily realistic in every detail...

These days, my efforts in the direction of self-sufficiency extend only as far as chopping up windfall trees for the fire, and that is taxing enough. Occasionally I make sloe gin. Oh, and do a bit of pruning of the trees and bushes in the garden every now and again.

Nevertheless, even here in this low-cost, low-population-density part of the UK, we need money to live. With that in mind, I will be working today and tomorrow. I got almost no work done yesterday, due to being out of the house between 8 AM and 4 PM, and also due to my foolishness in engaging in pointless debates on this very forum.

Today my target is to get about 4000 characters of the remaining 6000 characters of the large project done. That will leave me with 2000 characters to complete tomorrow, as well as 2000 characters for the other project.

After that, I have absolutely nothing in my schedule for the next week. We shall see how that turns out.

Dan

[Edited at 2024-02-24 08:36 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Any chance of... Feb 24

Dan Lucas wrote:

I tried walking into the stream and I got wet feet, so instead of taking the kids to school we turned around and came back to the house.
Dan

... trout or other fish to catch there? When I used to live closer to one of the docks and the Kiel Canal I spent my lunch break for fishing or a swim, with more or less success for the first and a lot of relaxation for the latter activity.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Of fabric and fish Feb 25

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Dan Lucas wrote:
I tried walking into the stream and I got wet feet, so instead of taking the kids to school we turned around and came back to the house.

... trout or other fish to catch there? When I used to live closer to one of the docks and the Kiel Canal I spent my lunch break for fishing or a swim, with more or less success for the first and a lot of relaxation for the latter activity.

Matthias, good question.
By coincidence it touches on something I've been thinking about for a while.
The answer begins with this dress.

seamless

In my former life as an stock-market analyst in Japan, before I became a full-time translator of financial Japanese to English, I used to take investors to companies that they wish to visit so they could talk to management.

One of these was a company called Shima Seiki, which was headquartered in Wakayama prefecture and (at least back then in the 1990s) would usually meet people only at those headquarters. Wakayama is a bit like Pembrokeshire: beautiful, but a very long way from anywhere. At the time I was working in Osaka, which is not quite "just down the road" but is a manageable train journey away, especially when compared to Tokyo.

Shima Seiki makes very sophisticated knitting machinery and associated products. Their claim to fame is that you can feed the yarn in the top of their machinery and the whole garment will come out of the bottom, knitted, without seams. It is fully automated. Traditionally, the body and sleeves of knitwear are created separately then sewn together, but their WHOLEGARMENT® does it all in one process.

It sounds odd, but looks great and you can see for yourself how it works by scrolling a little down this page and watching a short video, from which I took the still of the dress above. In real life, especially in 1995, it was genuinely impressive to watch. Investors liked it.

knit05

The other thing that investors liked was that the founder, Masahiro Shima, was a real inventor and entrepreneur who had continued to care for the company even after it grew beyond the startup stage. After a meeting with him most investors seemed to come away feeling that the company and its future was in the best possible hands. He also loved Italy and Italian culture, as I recall, and commuted to work in his Ferrari, which was unapologetically parked outside the office.

(That in itself was unusual. Japanese management tend to be low-profile and rather reticent. The only other president of a company that I remember demonstrating an interest in cars was the CEO of a small electronics manufacturer in a rather unprepossessing part of Tokyo. Rather than a staid Nissan President or Toyota Century, he ran a menacing 7-series BMW that had been heavily breathed on by Alpina. Anyway, that's a different story.)

Like many Japanese products, those of Shima Seiki are not necessarily intended for the mass market, as they represent the high end of the scale both in terms of performance and price. The FT ran an interesting article about them a few years ago. It was their machinery that I thought of when I stood in front of a weaving machine in the National Wool Museum in the summer of 2023. That machine, which is still used for demonstrations, dated from the first half of the 20th century, maybe earlier (I forgot to take a photo).

Actually it wasn't the first time I'd seen this machine, because the museum uses the site and buildings of what was the Cambrian Mills until 1976. I happen to be familiar with Cambrian Mills because my father worked there part-time in the mid-1970s, and sometimes drove a van full of fabric from the mill up to Huddersfield.

Once or twice I walked down there after school was finished, and he would lead me across the main workshop floor, upstairs, past the terrifying carding machine ("That would rip your arm off" was my father's laconic comment as we passed), and up to the attic where the bales of wool were stored. "Wait and don't touch anything" he would tell me, and go back to work.

After he completed his shift 20 minutes later, we would walk home together along the footpath to Waungilwen. Even now the distinctive smell of lanolin takes me back immediately to the cosy gloom of that space.

The defining characteristic of the old weaving machine in action was noise. I remember the tremendous racket on the ground floor made by the wooden shuttle, tipped with steel at both ends, being slammed back and forth across the breadth of the machine, carrying the yarn that gradually formed the fabric itself. This was literally a world away in space, and a metaphorical world away in time from the glass and chrome of the Shima Seiki demonstration room in Wakayama, where the hush was broken only by the gentle purring and chirping of their computerised machines.

But why did the woollen industry become so large in this remote area of the UK in the 1800s? It was mostly due to West Wales having an abundance of two vital components: sheep to provide the wool, and streams and small rivers to drive the water wheels that in turn drove the machinery of the mills. Drefach Felindre, in which the museum is located and where I went to primary school, had nearly 30 woollen mills at the peak of the industry. Today, apart from the surprising extent of the settlement and some incongruously large houses that used to be the residences of mill owners, and the museum, that history is almost invisible.

And so with the rivers we come back at last to fish and fishing. If you look at this photo I took on that day, you can see a little river running past the end of the building where the waterwheel was once installed. This is the Bargod stream, which gives its name to the local football team, the Bargod Rangers.

20230531_125454-50%

That was taken on the last day of May last year, after a long run with very little rain, and the stream would normally have been a good deal higher than it appears in this picture. It was certainly deeper - but still as clear - on the day I caught my first fish there, when I was probably 8 or 9 years old. It was a tiny brown trout, about 6 inches long, beautiful in the bronze shimmer of its scales and its red-spotted flanks.

I should really have put it back but I wanted to keep it to show to my mother and father. When I got back home my mother fried it for me with great ceremony. It was gone in three bites.

A mile downstream the Bargod meets the altogether more imposing Teifi, the fast and often narrow river that carved out the valley in which I spent my childhood. The Teifi is famous throughout the UK for its salmon and sea trout fishing, whether with fly or a spinner. Sea trout are called "sewin" in this part of the world, and many people from West Wales prefer its delicate taste to that of salmon.

Are there still fish here? The answer is a qualified "yes". Like many other rivers in many other parts of the world, fish stocks are under pressure in the Teifi and its tributaries. Certainly I saw few fish in the Bargod when I visited last year, and in general there appear to be far fewer fish than in my youth. I have seen only a couple of minnows in the stream that runs through the woodland - the one that sparked your question - over all the time I have lived here. It might be just too fast and too narrow for them for a good part of the year, but I suspect they would have lived there in the past.

The consensus seems to be that agricultural run-off and waste is having a significant negative effect on fish stocks in this region and elsewhere. Essentially, a clash between the needs of farmers and the needs of fish and other aquatic life.

This is a difficult issue for me, as I am keenly aware that farming has formed the unique and often beautiful landscape of the UK. That patchwork of fields and hedges was created by man, not nature, and to my mind is preferable to virgin forest for any number of reasons. My father farmed, and I knew and know many farmers, and I want them to succeed. But I do think that some of their activities are not well enough controlled, including run-off from their land into watercourses.

The problem is that in much of the UK farming is still carried out by families, not huge agri-businesses of the kind you hear about in the States, and average incomes for farming households in this country are parlously low. Median household income in 2022 was just over £22,000 compared to £35,000 for all households. This idea that most farmers are fat cats is absurdly far from the truth, at least in my part of the world.

To put it another way, farmers use the chemicals they use in order to improve their financial lot (by improving yields) and many farmers simply do not have the economic wherewithal to deal with more stringent regulations. Not being able to use these products would mean worse yields, and even lower incomes.

The question is what, as a country, we want to do about that.

Do we crush vulnerable farms by insisting that they alone shoulder the burden of the activities they perform that create (for very little return) food for the nation?

Do we let them go bust and rewild vast areas of the country and compensate by importing more food from other countries, probably with less stringent regulations, thus shifting the environmental damage overseas?

Do we seek to put into motion a sequence of activities that would bring to an end the landscape that is in part the driver of tourism to the UK, which is one of this country's main industries?

Or do we come up with some kind of compromise?

I don't have the answers, but the questions need to be asked. To be fair, the UK government has been thinking about this for several decades, and various schemes have been tried in Wales, such as Tir Gofal. The problem is that it is difficult to assess to what extent those aims have been accomplished, and whether the taxpayer's money has thus been well-spent.

Dan

[Edited at 2024-02-25 08:31 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I no longer need to read a newspaper article... Feb 25

Dan Lucas wrote:

...and no comment column either to be so richly informed about the developments of the Welsh / British fabric industry and the situation of farmers in your region. Thank you very much for your exhaustive answer, I fully agree with your reflective attitude and sympathetic understanding of today's farmers in the (still) industrialized Western countries. It may have come to your notion that also German farmers started huge protests in the past weeks to draw attention to their economic situation. One may question what ecological effects conventional farming has on the environment, but farming is under huge pressure and most family-run farmers are overloaded with bureaucratic work at the end of their working days. As a child I used to spend plenty of my time with the farmer kids and sometimes accompanied them when they had to assist their parents in the barns or on the fields, an experience I never would like to miss.
The beautiful brown (sea) trout you caught in the past was bearing spawn. Only then they are fully colored. It takes a lot of devotion and specialization to catch trout by casting at the shores of the Baltic Sea. Thanks again for your time spent to answer and have a nice Sunday.

Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Eastern winds... Feb 26

western-50%
(Zephyrus and Aura, from The Birth of Venus)

Yesterday was a long and arduous day, with nearly 6,500 characters completed.

A bit over 4,000 characters of this consisted of the interview I mentioned earlier. The interview text that I was translating was full of colloquial Japanese from a particular area of Japan. As it happened I am quite familiar with the regional dialect, but it was slow going.

When I was an stock market analyst I attended many (many) meetings with managements, which brought home to me the fact that very few people talk linearly. Being able to form something coherent in your head, and then express it concisely in actual speech is a rare talent. I have seen top management who were barely able to string three words together, at least in front of an audience. Or they would have the opposite problem, and they would meander around without answering the question (admittedly this was sometimes deliberate).

I used to record meetings, and sometimes I would go back to check the recording to ensure that a figure I had heard was correct. I was struck by how difficult it was to locate a particular passage of speech because so much of what was said consisted of speakers umming and aahing or saying things like "If you could just wait a minute, I think I have the figures here", followed by the sound of pages being flipped rapidly. Very early on I started to add timestamps to every single fact uttered, and that helped a lot.

Interviews have similar problems. Speakers rampage back and forth over the conversational landscape, dealing death to standards of clarity and logic as they go, and often confusing themselves as well as the interviewer. So I have a good deal of sympathy for the person who did the transcript for yesterday's job, but some of the things in the transcript are just plain odd. And that's because people are eccentric both in thought and in use of language. It's just life.

The other issue with the weekend work was that around lunchtime on Sunday I sneezed cataclysmically, and hurt my back (which some may remember I injured or re-injured a few weeks ago while chopping up a tree trunk that had blocked the track to the house). I have sneezed many times since that day, and it has sometimes been painful, but not like yesterday. All I could do was swallow a couple of ibuprofen and keep going. Usually my morning walk sorts out any stiffness, such as DOMS from a workout, or back pain, but not today.

It turned out to be a chilly morning as I limped round our circuit. The dog stopped to look back occasionally, wondering why I was taking so much time. As we passed the remnants of the Sitka plantation, they were set roaring by a brisk and cold wind blowing in our faces from the east, which was an unwelcome contrast to our usual mild westerly wind.

Westron wynde, when wilt thou blow,
The small raine down can raine.
Cryst, if my love were in my armes
And I in my bedde again.

Bed sounds quite attractive, at least until my back is better.

As of now (8:20 AM on Monday), I have absolutely nothing in my schedule until next week, so unless I get something in I shall spend this week preparing my new laptop and catching up with administrative tasks. I did have one email this morning from a client wanting to clarify three points in a translation, none of which were material.

Regards,
Dan

Lieven Malaise

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Coincidence Feb 26

Dan Lucas wrote:

self-sufficiency

I own this book, in German ("Das große Buch vom Leben auf dem Lande"). I find it intriguing and well written (and/or translated). I don't have any sheep, though, for example, so I don't spin my wool (and wouldn't do it anyway), nor do I have my own cereals that need to be harvested, and even if I live mostly in a rural environment, but without doing any noticeable farmer activities except growing some vegetables and such like, generally speaking it is of limited use for me with all the things it describes, but it is really so interesting to read how this and that would/could be done if need be. The book is indeed, as the subtitle says, intended as "A practical guide for realists and dreamers". I guess I bought it about 40 years ago and I think it was rather popular then in Germany. What a coincidence: maybe two weeks ago, after quite some time my eyes fell on this book and as always, I could not but read a chapter here and there.:-))

Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Synchronicity in action! Feb 26

Christel Zipfel wrote:
What a coincidence: maybe two weeks ago, after quite some time my eyes fell on this book and as always, I could not but read a chapter here and there.:-))

It's an engaging book, certainly, and he was by all accounts a charismatic individual.

Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In my craft or sullen art: JA-EN financial translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »