Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: How many books (of any genre) do you own?
Автор темы: ProZ.com Staff
Tom in London
Tom in London
Великобритания
Local time: 14:42
Член ProZ.com c 2008
итальянский => английский
Me too Feb 3, 2022

Marta Marrero Frías wrote:

I used to buy books but I don't keep all of them. When I find myself buried in books, I tend to donate some of them. However, I have just moved to another city and discovered that the public library here is HUUGE and they have lots of interesting titles! I'm thrilled to read them all! Also, it's a more eco-friendly option #ThereIsNoPlanetB

I too recently joined my local library, which is in a beautiful building and is very well organised, with regular displays of books associated with a particular occasion (Black History Month, Holocaust Day, etc.)

There are comfortable sofas on which to lounge, and of course the building is filled with other bibliophiles, so you're in good company. There's a children's library and a cafe. The staff are helpful. The checking in and out system is completely computerised and you can access everything from home as well, including making reservations, requesting books held by other libraries, etc. And it costs nothing!

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 09:42
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => китайский
+ ...
No time for books Feb 3, 2022

I read a lot of books when I was younger. In the recent 10 years or so, I simply never had time to read any book.

I don't think anyone who solely relies on income from translating like myself could afford to spend a lot of time reading books.

I did buy books from rummages, and they sell brand-new books for $1 per copy. You can sometimes find good titles.

I basically have my books for decoration purpose only.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 16:19 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Турция
Local time: 16:42
Член ProZ.com
английский => турецкий
I'm sure you find the time Feb 3, 2022

jyuan_us wrote:
I don't think anyone who solely relies on income from translating like myself could afford to spend a lot of time reading books.

to watch stuff on Youtube or Netflix.
Btw you appear to suggest that the majority of those participating in this poll and discussion are 'part-time' translators or hobbyists.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 17:19 GMT]

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
ipv

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Португалия
Член ProZ.com c 2015
английский => португальский
+ ...
I don't have any idea... Feb 3, 2022

... but I have several from high school to university, including some photocopied ones.
Most, of course, are dictionaries, grammars, books on linguistics, translation, history, medical, Greco-Roman culture, poetry (Portuguese and French), and others like one Bible in Portuguese and two Korans in French and Spanish... Torah is still missing.
I used to read a lot, today I read less and sometimes I regret not having more time than before.

Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
США
испанский => английский
+ ...
I Really Don't Have The Time Or Even Much Of An Inclination To Make An Exact Count... Feb 3, 2022

...but between the classics of French, Spanish (I bought many of those at a wonderful bookstore in Madrid) and English literature, books on psychology I bought while a student in that field, specialized and general bi-lingual dictionaries, and beautiful book copies of several of my literary translations, I'd say there has to be at least 500, and probably more, in my collection. I love to cradle hard copy books in my hands, and have always liked the soft, soothing feel of their pages. After all, ... See more
...but between the classics of French, Spanish (I bought many of those at a wonderful bookstore in Madrid) and English literature, books on psychology I bought while a student in that field, specialized and general bi-lingual dictionaries, and beautiful book copies of several of my literary translations, I'd say there has to be at least 500, and probably more, in my collection. I love to cradle hard copy books in my hands, and have always liked the soft, soothing feel of their pages. After all, they can be a kind of an escape.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 17:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-03 17:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-03 20:25 GMT]
Collapse

jyuan_us
США
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => китайский
+ ...
Yes, I do Feb 3, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

to watch stuff on Youtube or Netflix.
Btw you appear to suggest that the majority of those participating in this poll and discussion are 'part-time' translators or hobbyists.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 17:19 GMT]

I do spend time watching stuff on YouTube. I feel watching videos uploaded by the few youtubers you like is a way of relaxing yourself. You may feel refreshed or more energetic after watching a 20 minute video on YouTube, but reading for 20 minutes might make you feel a bit tired.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
Член ProZ.com c 2003
французский => итальянский
+ ...
Like you Feb 3, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

... but I have several from high school to university, including some photocopied ones.
Most, of course, are dictionaries, grammars, books on linguistics, translation, history, medical, Greco-Roman culture, poetry (Portuguese and French), and others like one Bible in Portuguese and two Korans in French and Spanish... Torah is still missing.
I used to read a lot, today I read less and sometimes I regret not having more time than before.

Except that I have no book in Portuguese for obvious reasons (I do not understand it)

I own more or less 1000 books in various languages.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 19:47 GMT]

expressisverbis

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 08:42
английский => чешский
+ ...
Books Feb 3, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Current reading consists of 7 books. Priority is "The Museum of Innocence" by Orhan Pamuk, which I am greatly enjoying reading in Maureen Freely's translation, which reads very well although I don't speak Turkish and can't judge whether it's good or not - although Pamuk himself had oversight of it.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 10:18 GMT]

Maureen Freely wrote a great - and brief, only 4 pages - afterword to Pamuk's The Black Book, about challenges of translating from Turkish. I did not enjoy the book and don't really remember much about it, but I remember her afterword.

About 700 printed books (I had to throw away some decayed paperbacks - heart-wrenching!) and about 1500 on Kindle. How can people write if they don't read?

Tom in London
Alexandra Speirs
Christine Andersen

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Португалия
Член ProZ.com c 2015
английский => португальский
+ ...
But I have :) Feb 3, 2022

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Except that I have no book in Portuguese for obvious reasons (I do not understand it)

Oh, but I have two in Italian... a big workbook and a grammar... unfortunately, I did not go ahead with my Italian lessons.
Portuguese is not so difficult.

Angie Garbarino

Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Перу
Local time: 08:42
Член ProZ.com
японский => испанский
+ ...
Do you read all of them? Feb 3, 2022

The next question is:
How many of your books have you actually finished reading??

I have about 40 books. I try not to buy more books if I have not finished reading the ones I have at home. If I didn't follow this rule maybe I would end up building a studio!

Becca Resnik

Tom in London
Tom in London
Великобритания
Член ProZ.com c 2008
итальянский => английский
Never Feb 3, 2022

jyuan_us wrote:

I read a lot of books when I was younger. In the recent 10 years or so, I simply never had time to read any book.

I did buy books from rummages, and they sell brand-new books for $1 per copy. You can sometimes find good titles.

I basically have my books for decoration purpose only.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 16:19 GMT]

I've never met anyone who thinks that reading books is a waste of time, Perhaps you haven't found the right books. You might like this one. It reads like a thriller, a spy story, about a woman who got a job translating for the FBI and ended up in big, big trouble. And it's TRUE.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007XY8INW/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
США
японский => английский
+ ...
How many books? Feb 4, 2022

About 2,000. In English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, French, Italian, Spanish, Greek. Literature, finance, history, art books. Still collecting. One can never have too many books.

Baran Keki
Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney
Christine Andersen
Agneta Pallinder

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
Франция
Член ProZ.com c 2007
английский => немецкий
+ ...
How many books (of any genre) do you own? Feb 4, 2022

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many books (of any genre) do you own?".

View the poll results »

All in all about 5000/6000, e-books included.

jyuan_us
США
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => китайский
+ ...
Without making it genre-specific Feb 4, 2022

Without making the question genre-specific, what will be the use of the result of the survey?

Do you count cookbooks, books for dummies, the "how-to" books, or even dictionaries, together with literary classics or New York Times best sellers ?

[Edited at 2022-02-04 14:44 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Дания
Член ProZ.com c 2003
датский => английский
+ ...
I have read parts of (nearly) all of them Feb 4, 2022

Marcel Karl Gomez Galarza wrote:

The next question is:
How many of your books have you actually finished reading??

Not all my books are the kind you sit down and read from end to end.
Cookery books, papercutting and knitting are not subjects you just read, but I use them.
Don't laugh, but in fact I DO read some of the dictionaries, or leaf around in them. The one on furniture, for example, is highly entertaining, as well as instructive in terminology, and Pevsner on architecture is brilliant in small doses. I have a lovely Danish one too, Broby Johansen ... They are often good bedtime reading - they don´t keep me up all night like an exciting novel. Arnold Kellett's Yorkshire Dictionary is another treasure!
Some are more picture books, like glass art catalogues, but I read the introductions and essays in them. (I have translated quite a lot of them.)

I have NOT read my son's PhD thesis and my husband's books on economics from the 1960s - I have to draw the line somewhere! But I seriously have read my own collection on linguistics, law and medicine, or at least several chapters of each, if not the whole thing.

It's the novels I don´t get round to, but there you go! I have recently joined a reading group, so I have to get through one novel a month just to keep up with the conversation.

[Edited at 2022-02-04 15:28 GMT]

expressisverbis

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many books (of any genre) do you own?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »