Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:22
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Sep 17, 2010

Dear colleagues,

A new ProZ.com wiki page was created on "translation in Brazil", in both English and Portuguese versions.

Some information on suggested rates was entered in these pages but they are otherwise blank,and they are available for Brazilian colleagues to create content on the translation p
... See more
Dear colleagues,

A new ProZ.com wiki page was created on "translation in Brazil", in both English and Portuguese versions.

Some information on suggested rates was entered in these pages but they are otherwise blank,and they are available for Brazilian colleagues to create content on the translation profession and business in Brazil.

I apologize for posting in English, My Portuguese is definitely not good enough for posting in a professional forum

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Sworn translations in Brazil Sep 17, 2010

Hola Enrique,

Pleased to meet you again.

One important piece of information regarding "translation in Brazil" is sworn translations. I don't mean they represent such a significant volume, neither in words per year, not in Certified Public Translators - I guess there are at most some 2,500 of us throughout the country (and none outside - there can't be), more than half in the Sao Paulo state.

The point is that I see too many translation agencies overseas bra
... See more
Hola Enrique,

Pleased to meet you again.

One important piece of information regarding "translation in Brazil" is sworn translations. I don't mean they represent such a significant volume, neither in words per year, not in Certified Public Translators - I guess there are at most some 2,500 of us throughout the country (and none outside - there can't be), more than half in the Sao Paulo state.

The point is that I see too many translation agencies overseas bragging on web sites about their offering of sworn translations into any language and for any country.

I reckon that for someone living in a country where translations for official purposes are not ruled by law it's kinda hard to believe that such thing exists anywhere else. It's just like I was baffled by the on/off/full license in England regarding alcoholic beverages.

However I see and hear about many people who bring their docs with foreign-made sworn translations into Brazil and get them rejected by local agencies/authorities. Hence I take every chance to enlighten people about it.

I've put my attempt at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/faqs.html in English, and at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/duvidas_comuns.html in Portuguese. There are sequel pages at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/my_system.html in English and http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/meu_sistema.html in Portuguese, however the information on these latter two are more specific to the Sao Paulo State and to my personal m.o.

I have a hard time keeping track of the links for the "Juntas Comerciais" translators' online directories (#4 on the first pages), as they remodel their web sites somewhat often. A few of the links presently obsolete, however I'm almost ready to correct them in my forthcoming site update.

Anyone is welcome to convert that information to Wiki format for Proz, as it's something I'm not experienced with.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wiki pages on "translation in Brazil"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »