Thread poster: Ronivaldo Silva
Ronivaldo Silva
Ronivaldo Silva
Brazil
Local time: 05:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 3, 2013

Eu gostaria de receber o apoio dos tradutores no esclarecimento dessas dúvidas. Quando devo traduzir nomes de universidades, faculdades ou outras instituições? E frases entre aspas. Seguem alguns exemplos:

UFPA – Universidade do Estado do Pará
5º Congresso da Associação Ibero-Americana das Academias de Farmácia ... Com o tema “As novas fronteiras das Ciências Farmacêuticas”

Agradeço por cada orientação que vocês puderem me dar sobre esse assunt
... See more
Eu gostaria de receber o apoio dos tradutores no esclarecimento dessas dúvidas. Quando devo traduzir nomes de universidades, faculdades ou outras instituições? E frases entre aspas. Seguem alguns exemplos:

UFPA – Universidade do Estado do Pará
5º Congresso da Associação Ibero-Americana das Academias de Farmácia ... Com o tema “As novas fronteiras das Ciências Farmacêuticas”

Agradeço por cada orientação que vocês puderem me dar sobre esse assunto.

Um abraço a todos,

Rony
Collapse

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:48
Portuguese to English
what i do Nov 4, 2013

I would put State University of Para (Universidade do Estado de Para - UFPA) the first time the name came up and then use the Portuguese acronym subsequently, but I am sure other translators have other opinions. I would not, in this case, use an English acronym, as it means nothing, but I think you do have to translate the name into English at least once. So - a compromise!

(please excuse lack of accents, dodgy keyboard!)

[Edited at 2013-11-04 13:43 GMT]

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:48
Various ways Nov 6, 2013

1. As a general piece of advice with regard to established educational and other institutions, it is wise to visit the website of the institution in question, since it may already have its own translation of its name.

2. You can add an explanatory phrase, and retain the name of the institution as it appears in the source text, and then refer to it later either by its full name or its abbreviation:

e.g. Os excessos de produção eram armazenados e destilado
... See more
1. As a general piece of advice with regard to established educational and other institutions, it is wise to visit the website of the institution in question, since it may already have its own translation of its name.

2. You can add an explanatory phrase, and retain the name of the institution as it appears in the source text, and then refer to it later either by its full name or its abbreviation:

e.g. Os excessos de produção eram armazenados e destilados na rede de caves da Junta Nacional do Vinho (JNV).
Production surpluses were absorbed in Portugal’s own network of regional wineries affiliated to the national wine board, the Junta Nacional do Vinho (JNV).

3. Retention of original name, combined with translated name (sometimes by the institution itself), and abbreviation, sometimes with the use of square brackets if followed by an abbreviation in curved brackets, as shown below:

e.g. Deste projecto resultou a publicação de catálogos de castas para as principais regiões vitícolas nacionais e a instalação da Colecção Ampelográfica Nacional (CAN), situada em Dois Portos, na Estação Vitivinícola Nacional (EVN).

This project resulted in the publication of grapevine variety catalogues for the main national viticultural regions and in the creation of the Colecção Ampelográfica Nacional [National Ampelographic Collection] (CAN), situated in Dois Portos at the Estação Vitivinícola Nacional [National Vitivinicultural Research Station](EVN).

4. Institutions better known by their acronyms or abbreviations:
You can introduced the acronym/abbreviation first, followed by its official names, if they exist, in the appropriate source and target text.

e.g. Estes trabalhos foram muito auxiliados pela publicação, pela «Union Internationale pour la Protection des Obtentions Végétales» (UPOV), em 1977, e pela «Organisation International de la Vigne et du Vin» (OIV), em 1983, de códigos, internacionalmente aceites, de caracteres descritivos das variedades e espécies de Vitis.

This work was assisted greatly by the publication in 1977 by UPOV (Union Internationale pour la Protection des Obtentions Végétales/International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants), and in 1983 by the OIV (Organisation International de la Vigne et du Vin/International Organisation of Vine and Wine) of codified, internationally accepted descriptive characteristics applicable to varieties and species of Vitis.

5. I agree with Georgia Morgan: Avoid creating an anglicised acronym or abbreviation.

6. I would also avoid inverted commas/aspas, unless the institution has a nickname, and even then, I would be reticent.

7. I would render yours (since it appears to be a paragraph title) as follows:
UFPA – Universidade do Estado do Pará (State University of Pará)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_University_of_Pará

5º Congresso da Associação Ibero-Americana das Academias de Farmácia
I would render the above (having looked at their website) as:
5th AIAF Congress (Congress of the Associação Ibero-Americana das Academias de Farmácia, the Ibero-American Association of Pharmaceutical Academies).

8. Always Google your proposed translation. You may find that an established one already exists!

[Edited at 2013-11-06 12:24 GMT] - typo, and addition under 7.

[Edited at 2013-11-06 12:44 GMT]
Collapse

Ronivaldo Silva
Ronivaldo Silva
Brazil
Local time: 05:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A tradução de nomes de instituições e frases entre aspas Nov 6, 2013

I'm so grateful for every single word you've explained here. It really helped me a lot.

Rony

Elizabeth Best
Elizabeth Best
United States
Local time: 04:48
Member (2013)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
UFPA = Universidade Federal do Pará Jun 12, 2014

(just sayin')

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A tradução de nomes de instituições e frases entre aspas

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »