Powwow: Helsinki - Finland

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Helsinki - Finland".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Tarja Karjalainen
Tarja Karjalainen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:15
English to Finnish
+ ...
Topic and place? Oct 1, 2013

Is that the topic (Government translations FI -> SV) for the Pow-wow? Also, where are you planning to hold it - or is it a virtual event?

Ronja Addams-Moring
Ronja Addams-Moring  Identity Verified
Finland
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
Face to face meeting in Helsinki city center 12 noon -> Oct 3, 2013

Yes, that would be my preferred topic, but I am flexible.

Sorry, I only now remembered to add the description: We meet for an afternoon of learning from each other, 12 noon to 4 PM at Kirjasto 10 (group work room / ryhmätyötila) on Elielinaukio, beside the Main Railway Station (Helsingin päärautatieasema). Afterwards we round up the work week by relaxing at restaurant Leonardo, Kaivokatu 6 (table reserved for 10 from 4 PM onward).

I wil
... See more
Yes, that would be my preferred topic, but I am flexible.

Sorry, I only now remembered to add the description: We meet for an afternoon of learning from each other, 12 noon to 4 PM at Kirjasto 10 (group work room / ryhmätyötila) on Elielinaukio, beside the Main Railway Station (Helsingin päärautatieasema). Afterwards we round up the work week by relaxing at restaurant Leonardo, Kaivokatu 6 (table reserved for 10 from 4 PM onward).

I will take along my laptop and the library has WLAN, so some kind of virtual participation is likely possible, though I cannot promise that the connection will work well (there are pretty heavy renovations going on in that building at the moment). My Skype name is "ronja-am", so please send me a Skype contact request where you mention the ProZ powwow so that I don't mistake it for spam.
Collapse

Tarja Karjalainen
Tarja Karjalainen  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Thanks for the info Oct 3, 2013

Thanks for the info - topic not relevant to me, then, but have a great afternoon!

Anders Warnqvist
Anders Warnqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:15
English to Swedish
+ ...
Kanske nästa gång, vilket borde göras snart Oct 3, 2013

Tyvärr blev det mycket som skulle passa in under fredagen, så jag kan inte komma den här gången. Ett mycket trevligt initiativ Ronja, jag hoppas det blir fler översättarträffar i Helsingfors vid senare tillfälle.

Ronja Addams-Moring
Ronja Addams-Moring  Identity Verified
Finland
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
Please learn from my (almost) worst case experience... Oct 4, 2013

You are welcome to spot the mistakes that I made and not make the same ones when you organize your first ProZ.com powwow (or any other meeting with people you have not met before).

OK, so as soon as I had gotten into the meeting room and started to hook up my laptop, there was a fire alarm and the library staff chased me out. At this point I realized that I had no mobile phone numbers to either of the other registered attendees, I did not know what they looked like, and I was wearing
... See more
You are welcome to spot the mistakes that I made and not make the same ones when you organize your first ProZ.com powwow (or any other meeting with people you have not met before).

OK, so as soon as I had gotten into the meeting room and started to hook up my laptop, there was a fire alarm and the library staff chased me out. At this point I realized that I had no mobile phone numbers to either of the other registered attendees, I did not know what they looked like, and I was wearing a rather different brown hat than in my profile picture, so if they anywhere in the milling crowd (the whole 10-floor building was evacuated), they might not recognize me. I talked to a couple of people who were speaking English, but no luck.

Next, about 12:15, I tried to connect to ProZ.com with my Nokia N97 mini, which I had never done before, and the experience was a huge disappointment. A big ad for the virtual conference covered my whole screen and I could not get rid of it - the "close" button on it was unresponsive. I wasted five minutes on that.

Thankfully there is a large restaurant, Vltava, next to the building that houses Kirjasto 10 (the library where we were supposed to meet), and I guessed that around noon on a Friday there would be room for setting up shop with my laptop, which there also was. Only their free WLAN did not work, so I wasted yet another five minutes fighting with that before I fell back on my own (pay-per-use) mobile network connection. Around 12:30 I finally had a working connection to this powwow page.

Editing an update to the powwow description took only a short while, and after writing this (while receiving two unrelated phone calls) it is now 12:55. My sincere apologies to anyone who might be wandering around in central Helsinki looking for me!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Helsinki - Finland

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »