Thread poster: Elena Hershey
abodin2004 (X)
abodin2004 (X)
United States
Local time: 01:09
English to French
+ ...
The scam of Margaret Jordan Aug 10, 2012

Boy, do I wish I had read this before. This lady also contacted me for a French translation, http://www.healthlibrary.com/reading_room.php?action=view&id=37&cid=364. Her "husband" sent me a check before I even got done with the translation... Of course, the amount was way too much. So, I deposited the check into my bank and big surprise, they put it on hold. She w... See more
Boy, do I wish I had read this before. This lady also contacted me for a French translation, http://www.healthlibrary.com/reading_room.php?action=view&id=37&cid=364. Her "husband" sent me a check before I even got done with the translation... Of course, the amount was way too much. So, I deposited the check into my bank and big surprise, they put it on hold. She wants me to pay her babysitter with a money gram. I told her there was a hold on the check. She told me to try and get my bank to release at least half. I told her things didn't work that way. She then told me that she wants to see if I can try and send her babysitter at least 600 USD by today, even while the check is on hold. I told her this wasn't possible and then I started being suspicious... I know. Way too late. I am kicking myself right now. So, I called my bank and warned them to really check on this. I also got the address of the entity issuing the check and the associated bank. I'm not even going to finish her translation. I don't really expect to hear back from her. Let me know if you want the details like the addresses and such. Can my bank do anything at all to look more into this scam?Collapse

RE: Margaret Jordan Aug 11, 2012

Hi, I received a message from her about the same thing few days ago. We "agreed" on the price just this morning. And this afternoon I checked my email - and there is a message now to translate into Chinese language. I do not speak Chinese. I thought it was suspicious. So I googled her name and found this discussion. She did send me a document and I followed the link that someone here posted -- its exactly the same stuff. So sad. And here is the message for Chinese translation:

"Hell
... See more
Hi, I received a message from her about the same thing few days ago. We "agreed" on the price just this morning. And this afternoon I checked my email - and there is a message now to translate into Chinese language. I do not speak Chinese. I thought it was suspicious. So I googled her name and found this discussion. She did send me a document and I followed the link that someone here posted -- its exactly the same stuff. So sad. And here is the message for Chinese translation:

"Hello,

My name is Margaret Jordan,i work with an NGO supported by world health organization to enlighten people about STDS,HIV and AIDS. I will be giving a public lecture in China by 5th of Next month and i have a health write up to be translated from English to Chinese,my target audience are university students. I got your contact email from Translators cafe and i will like to know if you will be avaible to do the translation job for me. Let me know if you are available so that i can forward the document to you for a price quote. Waiting to hear from you soon.

God bless you !

Regards,

Margaret Jordan."

I will see if she actually sends me a check. I already gave her my address gosh. I never ever respond to those!!! I don't know why believed this one.
Collapse

abodin2004 (X)
abodin2004 (X)
United States
Local time: 01:09
English to French
+ ...
Margaret Jordan continued Aug 12, 2012

She will definitely send you a check... But it will be a fake one and for much more than the price agreed. Don't send her any money back. My bank confirmed that the check she sent me was completely fake.

check received Aug 14, 2012

I did receive a check for $1970.89. Printed on cheap paper, but states "Citizen Bank" and from a completely different name. I'm not going to even bother to put the check in my account. But I am reporting it somewhere. They even sent me 2 text messages on my phone about returning the money. I ignored them all so far.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Margaret Jordan - scam?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »