Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:13
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Sep 12, 2012

I have just received an email, greeting me personally by my first name, from an agency based in Streatham, London, and inviting me to contribute "an article of about 350 words written in English. Topic will be about people, culture and languages in your native country. It could also be 'Cultural factors company’s need to be aware about before doing business in your native country' ”.

The very poor English (e.g. "company's") is theirs, not mine.

Worst of all, the
... See more
I have just received an email, greeting me personally by my first name, from an agency based in Streatham, London, and inviting me to contribute "an article of about 350 words written in English. Topic will be about people, culture and languages in your native country. It could also be 'Cultural factors company’s need to be aware about before doing business in your native country' ”.

The very poor English (e.g. "company's") is theirs, not mine.

Worst of all, the email goes on to say "We will give you a link back from your article to your Proz profile or your personal website/blog. This means your profile will be visible to hundreds of people every day through our website. Your article will be published with your name and a link to your Proz profile or blog/website or both."

It seems to me that this is an improper use of the Proz website and I am reporting it here for the attention of Proz staff.

If anyone wants to see the actual email please ask me in private and I'll forward it to you exactly as I received it.

[Edited at 2012-09-12 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm too old... Sep 12, 2012

Too old for this kind of stuff. I would drop it immediately.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Forewarned is forearmed Sep 12, 2012

Thanks for the warning. Scams targetting translators certainly seem to getting more sophisticated and elaborate, although they still can't spell properly, thank goodness. I can imagine a lot of people falling for this one though.

Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
English to German
+ ...
What's in it for them? Sep 12, 2012

Is what I am asking myself. Can anyone enlighten me?

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Answer: Sep 12, 2012

Usch Pilz wrote:

Traffic.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
virusses? Sep 12, 2012

Usch Pilz wrote:

There are various links in the email, which I of course did NOT click.

(later modification): I tried hard to find the scam notification link at Proz but couldn't. Luckily I then found a link to it in another discussion thread. I have now notified the scam.

[Edited at 2012-09-12 20:10 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Email with name Sep 12, 2012

As someone who frequently sends mass emails (or e-communications as we prefer to call them) in my in-house job, I can tell you that it's VERY easy to send personally addressed emails to numerous people with one little click.

All you need to do is use a mass mailing program and add a token for the name (assuming you have a database containing these). In the program we currently use, tokens have been set up as "Dear %%Greeting%%" (gets a "Dear Mr Smith" or "Dear Mrs Smith" etc) for ou
... See more
As someone who frequently sends mass emails (or e-communications as we prefer to call them) in my in-house job, I can tell you that it's VERY easy to send personally addressed emails to numerous people with one little click.

All you need to do is use a mass mailing program and add a token for the name (assuming you have a database containing these). In the program we currently use, tokens have been set up as "Dear %%Greeting%%" (gets a "Dear Mr Smith" or "Dear Mrs Smith" etc) for our English clients, "%%French Greeting%% (changes the "Dear" part depending on gender") or just plain "Hej %%First Name%% for our less formal Swedish clients/prospects.

Putting on my SEO hat (I have every role you can think of for our Swedish site), linking back to your content might be of value to you when it comes to Google ratings. However, linking back from dubious sites, which this appears to be, will be of little value. And that, the linking, appears to be what they are offering you as payment.
Collapse

Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
English to German
+ ...
@ Tom and Adam Sep 12, 2012

Thanks!

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Spam alert centre Sep 13, 2012

Hi Tom,

The link to the spam alert centre is under the 'Education' tab.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This has got to be a scam

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »