Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Suspecting that company asking me to do a test really had me do a genuine job without pay.
Thread poster: Trine B (X)
AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:07
English to Czech
+ ...
Test is not a bad thing if it's genuine Jul 10, 2013

Marie-Helene Dubois wrote:

This discussion has come up many times before and I must say that I see nothing wrong with free tests. To me it's a marketing expense and a very effective one at that.
However, I think that this particular case has flagged up some warning signs which you are right to be suspicious about in my mind.

I agree with Marie-Helene. A short test makes much more sense to me than the dreadful practice of "references". (Who is going to submit a reference that says anything critical about his/her work? This whole practice often serves a different purpose, and we have a long and extremely useful threat about that.)
I usually do not mind doing a short test for a specific subject matter and for a reputable company. As long as I can do it in my own time, when it fits my schedule. I estimate I do about 2-3 of them per year, some free, some unpaid. Some turn into jobs, some don't. It is, as Marie-Helene says, a marketing expense. But it pays to be careful. Especially, if the test is requested with a tight deadline. That is definitely a red flag to me.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:07
English to Polish
+ ...
I agree Jul 11, 2013

AnnaSCHTR wrote:

Marie-Helene Dubois wrote:

This discussion has come up many times before and I must say that I see nothing wrong with free tests. To me it's a marketing expense and a very effective one at that.
However, I think that this particular case has flagged up some warning signs which you are right to be suspicious about in my mind.

I agree with Marie-Helene. A short test makes much more sense to me than the dreadful practice of "references". (Who is going to submit a reference that says anything critical about his/her work? This whole practice often serves a different purpose, and we have a long and extremely useful threat about that.)
I usually do not mind doing a short test for a specific subject matter and for a reputable company. As long as I can do it in my own time, when it fits my schedule. I estimate I do about 2-3 of them per year, some free, some unpaid. Some turn into jobs, some don't. It is, as Marie-Helene says, a marketing expense. But it pays to be careful. Especially, if the test is requested with a tight deadline. That is definitely a red flag to me.

I agree, and I dislike the whole reference thing. It inconveniences both the translator and the translator's clients, especially if the latter are expected to be available on the phone rather than simply issuing a letter of reference on paper. Also, like you say, nobody will submit a critical opinion of himself, while most translators will probably be able to secure an, 'everything was okay,' opinion from any client or agency incapable of verifying the quality of translation for example due to not knowing the language.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 03:07
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Genuine tests or tests as real work Jul 11, 2013

I have had good and bad experiences with tests, so i am glad you are confirming that some tests are in reality, nothing short of a translation job in itself. The worst test I had was from someone who posted a job on ProZ- this person's page is still "under construction" till yesterday as I checked. It seems this person had received a translation job and was not up to it, so posted it as a test to be done. Needless to say, I never heard from this person. this person was also referred to in other ... See more
I have had good and bad experiences with tests, so i am glad you are confirming that some tests are in reality, nothing short of a translation job in itself. The worst test I had was from someone who posted a job on ProZ- this person's page is still "under construction" till yesterday as I checked. It seems this person had received a translation job and was not up to it, so posted it as a test to be done. Needless to say, I never heard from this person. this person was also referred to in other posts. Another famous outsourcer sent me a test, with a grey background, so it was difficult to see the words, and expected it soon. I answered the test consisted of more than the allowed 250 words-it was more than double-and the font size was really small, so it was doubly difficult. The outsourcer said I had passed but that I had given the answer late, but I am not worried as this outsourcer does not pay-only some $0.01 per word, and please quote accordingly. I'd rather not translate than accept such rates.
I had good experiences too. A certain outsourcer paid me for the test, after I submitted it and I was given the translation job as the outsourcer did not realise I lived in another part of the world he lived in, and admits he makes mistakes when posting jobs on ProZ. But it was nice outsourcer, very quick to answer queries and was paid within a week for the first job. I am now wary of tests as you never get contacted again for other work, even if you pass. Being put on their list means nothing, it seems.
Collapse

Michelle Kusuda
Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Test translations and lengthy application system = Waste of time! Jul 11, 2013

In my experience, those agencies that do not offer to pay for the test translation are really not interested in hiring the translator.

If we agreed to do all the test translations that come our way, we would be working full time and not having any income to show for it.

The same holds true for outsourcers who want you to sign up and register in their data base. My experience so far is that they waste the time of some of your kind clients who are willing to spend the ti
... See more
In my experience, those agencies that do not offer to pay for the test translation are really not interested in hiring the translator.

If we agreed to do all the test translations that come our way, we would be working full time and not having any income to show for it.

The same holds true for outsourcers who want you to sign up and register in their data base. My experience so far is that they waste the time of some of your kind clients who are willing to spend the time to write a reference, only to use your CV to submit tenders for contract work that they later assign to lower-cost, and less-qualified translators.

Good luck!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suspecting that company asking me to do a test really had me do a genuine job without pay.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »