Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Local time: 21:42
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2013

I got an e-mail yesterday from Info @ T...n -T...m.org with 2 attachments asking me to proofread/edit. I Googled the name (which initially seemed very plausible) and found the domain name was for sale but no company as such!

The English used was good, not usual scam stuff and I thought initially it was a company I had applied to in the past but the big warning for me was the fact my name was not mentioned

it started with

"Hello my Dear!" (not exactly busi
... See more
I got an e-mail yesterday from Info @ T...n -T...m.org with 2 attachments asking me to proofread/edit. I Googled the name (which initially seemed very plausible) and found the domain name was for sale but no company as such!

The English used was good, not usual scam stuff and I thought initially it was a company I had applied to in the past but the big warning for me was the fact my name was not mentioned

it started with

"Hello my Dear!" (not exactly businesslike!)

The Source text attachments were from a real company that could be Googled and the target texts were to be sent to me as soon as I replied.

I replied to the (female) "S..." and apologised for having to ask for more info, their address phone number and where they had got my e-mail (which is Yahoo) etc etc and heard nothing back at all.

However, about an hour later I got a message saying my e-mail a/c had been hacked with an American friend's name mentioned (not a translator) so I've changed my password on it.

By the way, Proz.com was not mentioned at all...

I marked e-mail as Spam and deleted it and hopefully will have no further repercussions...

Has anyone else had this e-mail?

[Edited at 2013-07-20 15:30 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:42
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Maybe not a scam Jul 20, 2013

I received the same email yesterday and had some discussion by email with Sylw...

She claimed she is with the company listed on the BB , so if that's true it's a little unusual but not necessarily a scam.

The other thing that's a little strange is the sudden rush of BB entries this week for this company, all of which are very warm but only one of which mentions payment. And all but one of these BB posters have just received a positive WWA entry from this same outsourcer
... See more
I received the same email yesterday and had some discussion by email with Sylw...

She claimed she is with the company listed on the BB , so if that's true it's a little unusual but not necessarily a scam.

The other thing that's a little strange is the sudden rush of BB entries this week for this company, all of which are very warm but only one of which mentions payment. And all but one of these BB posters have just received a positive WWA entry from this same outsourcer.

So it sounds like somewhat unusual activity meriting caution, but I wouldn't necessarily have reason to call it a scam (yet).

[Edited at 2013-07-20 14:47 GMT]
Collapse

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmm, something not quite right... Jul 20, 2013

Thanks John,

Yes, I thought it was OK except for the "Hello my Dear" bit and then not able to find any company by that name and also having no recollection of applying to them (I usually keep a list of jobs applied for, whether on this site or elsewhere).

The BB entries for xxx seem genuine so is this the same company and the same S...?

[Edited at 2013-07-20 15:02 GMT]

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Asked the company Jul 20, 2013

I have asked the company through their website about it, so we'll see what their response is.

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, best to be safe these days Jul 20, 2013

just wanted to flag this in case...

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:42
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi folks Jul 20, 2013

Further checking (thank you John for the email copy!) has shown that the message was genuine.

In order to observe the forum rules, I would like to ask everybody to remove from your postings the outsourcer's name and the link to the BB.

Natalia

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for update Jul 20, 2013

So, it was just a coincidence then that I got the message about my e-mail account being hacked? I am still at a loss as to how they got my e-mail address in the first place...

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Legitimate Jul 21, 2013

The Director of the company (based in London UK) has responded to my inquiry and confirms that the email was indeed legitimate - Sylw... is one of their employees who had been tasked to recruit some linguists for the company's database. So in spite of the questions raised on this discussion, all seems to be well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

possible scam Info @ T...n -T...m.org

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »