Thread poster: Yves Jacques
Yves Jacques
Yves Jacques  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:26
English to French
+ ...
Nov 13, 2015

As for many of us, I have recently been the victim of a SCAMMER.
He or she steals or fakes genuine agencies' identity to lure translators with a mass email and remains so vague in the following communications, that through the rat-race, I fell into the trap.
The individual is using the address [email protected]
If, like me, you are trusting enough to get scammed, I would suggest that you take a good look at th
... See more
As for many of us, I have recently been the victim of a SCAMMER.
He or she steals or fakes genuine agencies' identity to lure translators with a mass email and remains so vague in the following communications, that through the rat-race, I fell into the trap.
The individual is using the address [email protected]
If, like me, you are trusting enough to get scammed, I would suggest that you take a good look at those specialized sites that warn you about such characters.
One word of caution : Don't rush into things just for one extra job...

Yves Jacques
TRADUCTIONS TECHNIQUES BSL
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:26
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A simple and solid procedure Nov 13, 2015

Hi Yves, I am very sorry for yet another victim of this scourge. I hope your losses were not heavy.

You can find useful information on scams at ProZ.com Scam Alert Center and as a ProZ.com member you can subscribe to the scam alert notifications.

A solid risk-management to follow when you re
... See more
Hi Yves, I am very sorry for yet another victim of this scourge. I hope your losses were not heavy.

You can find useful information on scams at ProZ.com Scam Alert Center and as a ProZ.com member you can subscribe to the scam alert notifications.

A solid risk-management to follow when you receive a business proposal from a stranger would involve:
  • If it does not make sense, feels weird, is is below your rates, etc., simply dismiss.

• If it could be interesting, ask for verifiable contact information.

• Once you receive verifiable contact information, check it until you are sure you know who you are dealing with.

• After that, check payment practices and other information (for instance in the ProZ.com Blue Board).

Kind regards,
Enrique Cavalitto
Collapse

Yves Jacques
Yves Jacques  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:26
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED... Nov 13, 2015

I totally agree with you Enrique, and with all that would recommend the basics of business. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, as I learnt in my youth.
In a rush late on Friday, trying to round the end of month's nest egg, no-not me-never attitude, and I was caught, hook and sinker. Fortunately, the mishap was not that costly.
If anything, thanks all for your sympathy - Yves

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another very useful source Nov 13, 2015

http://www.translator-scammers.com/

... and your scammer is there!

[Edited at 2015-11-13 14:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »