Thread poster: Kristina Love
Kristina Love
Kristina Love  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 18, 2021

I recently purchased a domain name and started working on my new website for my business. I published the website that had my contact info on it. Within 24 hours, I got a phone call from someone who jabbered on about being from "US Directory online Yellow Pages," saying that they automatically are notified whenever anyone buys a domain name, making it sound like it's routine that they always call to offer the service (though he made it sound like he was doing it for free and implied that it was... See more
I recently purchased a domain name and started working on my new website for my business. I published the website that had my contact info on it. Within 24 hours, I got a phone call from someone who jabbered on about being from "US Directory online Yellow Pages," saying that they automatically are notified whenever anyone buys a domain name, making it sound like it's routine that they always call to offer the service (though he made it sound like he was doing it for free and implied that it was required) of search-engine optimization and started grilling me about what key words I wanted them to use to make it easier for clients to find me. He spoke very fast in a big jumbled word salad in a clipped and high-pressure tone. Luckily while I was talking my husband overheard me say "US Directory online Yellow Pages" and looked it up on the Internet to see if it was a scam. It is. The scam is that they will eventually get around to asking you to pay just $5 a month for this service, but once they have your credit card info, they'll charge much more.

This type of directory scam is explained on the Better Business Bureau: https://www.bbb.org/article/tips/2108-bbb-tip-directory-scams

There are other versions of it, where they get your voice recording and with just your address and phone number claim that you agreed to pay money and use a spliced version of the phone conversation to make their case that you agreed to charges you did not agree to.

So if they call you, hang up the phone as soon as possible!
Collapse

Adieu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If you buy a domain name, beware of "US Directory Online Yellow Pages"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »