Hannah Gunasingh
Hannah Gunasingh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:02
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 22, 2021

Today I received an email from "Luka Aourena". Probably no such person exists since I googled the name.
Her email to me was as follows:
"Greeting,

Hope you are doing well!

This is Luka from MGM LINGUISTIC SOLUTIONS Company.

We received a project for German internal compliance document with total word 30000 words, and I was wondering if you’d be interested. The rate will be negotiable.
The project is almost confirmed. Kindly share the sa
... See more
Today I received an email from "Luka Aourena". Probably no such person exists since I googled the name.
Her email to me was as follows:
"Greeting,

Hope you are doing well!

This is Luka from MGM LINGUISTIC SOLUTIONS Company.

We received a project for German internal compliance document with total word 30000 words, and I was wondering if you’d be interested. The rate will be negotiable.
The project is almost confirmed. Kindly share the sample translation of the attached file so that the client can check the quality and formatting.

Name, Address, Email id and phone number not to be translated.

Timeline --Today, before 5pm today

Do only page no1
Rene -Page1

Please tell me your quote.
. Would you be interested in this project?

Looking forward to your comments.

RESPONDE POR EMAIL SOLO SI ESTÁS INTERESADO/A: [email protected]

Saludos,

MGM LINGUISTIC SOLUTIONS®
Human Resources Department
1855 Diamond St, 121 | San Diego, CA 92109
p. 619.840.9357 | www.mgmlinguisticsolutions.com
PROZ PROFILE:https://www.proz.com/business/116437"
================
I replied her email but at the same time wrote to the company's manager separately asking for confirmation if the email was really from them. I got to know from Maria G. Mercau, the CEO of the company that it was a phishing case! Even before that I had told "Luka" to cancel the assignment. Her grammar and style of writing all made me suspicious. This is for your information.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:32
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
It would be very helpful Oct 22, 2021

if you would provide the IP number visible in the message (I assume you received it vis ProZ.com?)

Thank you,
Natalia

Hannah Gunasingh

Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:32
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Worked with the same person! Oct 22, 2021

Hi,

I have worked with the same person on a document and he/she said that will pay during 30 days! The 30 days hasn't pass yet!

Here is the Proz link that included in his/her email: https://www.proz.com/business/116437

Note: the mail was a direct email and this link was just included in the signature part!

[Edited at 2021-10-2
... See more
Hi,

I have worked with the same person on a document and he/she said that will pay during 30 days! The 30 days hasn't pass yet!

Here is the Proz link that included in his/her email: https://www.proz.com/business/116437

Note: the mail was a direct email and this link was just included in the signature part!

[Edited at 2021-10-22 16:14 GMT]
Collapse

Hannah Gunasingh
Hannah Gunasingh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:02
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
She contacted me directly Oct 22, 2021

It was not via ProZ.com. The company itself is genuine. But this Luka is not. So I didn't get the IP address. I wouldn't know how to get the IP address.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
The IP is in the email headers Oct 22, 2021

Dalia Nour wrote:

A person may include ANY links, phone numbers and addresses in his/her email which absolutely does not mean s/he represents the entity.

If it was a direct email you can still see the IP in the email headers. If you do not know how to see the headers, please visit https://mxtoolbox.com/Public/Content/EmailHeaders/

You can copy the headers and send them to me through my profile.

[Edited at 2021-10-22 16:18 GMT]

Max Jeremiah

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exactly right Oct 24, 2021

What you did, contacting the manager of the company, was the correct thing to do. I also appreciate your posting your experiences so that Proz particpants are duly warned.

Jernej Gal
Jernej Gal
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
This person contacted me also! Oct 27, 2021

Hi,

this person contacted me several times and I did some work for them, though 30 days have not yet passed.

I have, however, been able to get their IP address: 209.85.220.41

Are there any news regarding this suppossed scammer?

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Wrong IP Oct 27, 2021

209.85.220.41 is just Google, not the real IP of the sender

Max Jeremiah
Max Jeremiah  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:32
German to English
+ ...
Same here! Oct 28, 2021

I had the same email from the same name. The email is full of red flags. I contacted Maria Mercau as well, so the legitimate MGM should be well aware by now!

Hideaki Mangues
Hideaki Mangues  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:32
Member (2021)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I also performed one translation for this person. Nov 2, 2021

Does anyone have any updates on this supposed scammer?

Haein Chang
Haein Chang  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 17:32
Member (2014)
English to Korean
+ ...
I did two works for this person. Nov 2, 2021

All projects were rushed ones with relatively higher amount of payment.

250 USD for 2,500 words.
360 USD for 3,841 words.

Vladimír Pleva
Vladimír Pleva
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I also worked for this person Nov 11, 2021

Hello,
Unfortunately, I did not check this forum before and I accepted a translation job from this apparently fake person.
Any suggestion how to proceed now?
Is there any chance I can get my money...?
The genuine MGM company has now a warning on their Web so I hope that other translators have been warned by now.
Vladimir

Vladimír Pleva
Vladimír Pleva
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Suspicious IP address Nov 11, 2021

Hi there,
I just did some research and I found out that the genuine MGM email has the same sender's IP address as the above mentioned fake email.
So I'm a bit suspicious whether these "fake emails" are not a cover-up by MGM company so that they don't need to pay for their orders.
I will make a more profound check with professionals to find out more.
Vlad

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
IP address can be ambiguous Nov 12, 2021

Vladimír Pleva wrote:

I just did some research and I found out that the genuine MGM email has the same sender's IP address as the above mentioned fake email.
So I'm a bit suspicious whether these "fake emails" are not a cover-up by MGM company so that they don't need to pay for their orders.

Don't forget that IP addresses are not always a reliable indicator: for many users (not having their own dedicated fixed IP address), the apparent IP address will possibly be that of their ISP — so my ISP is Orange, and I get randomly assigned IP addresses seemingly located in various cities far from my real location.

So it is possible that the scammer and the legit company just happen to be using the same ISP — and it is in a way not surprising that the scammer might be operating in the same country as the company, at least they will be in the know about thinks that might lend credibility to their scam.

The first thing to do is check the IP address with the WhoIs?, which may yield more detailed information about the owner of that IP.

Kevin Fulton

Vladimír Pleva
Vladimír Pleva
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Re: IP address can be ambiguous Nov 23, 2021

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your comment. It would then deserve further research.
I also mentioned that because I came across a company in the past which pretended that the job was requested by a scammer so that they avoided payment...
Vlad

Tony M wrote:

Vladimír Pleva wrote:

Don't forget that IP addresses are not always a reliable indicator: for many users (not having their own dedicated fixed IP address), the apparent IP address will possibly be that of their ISP — so my ISP is Orange, and I get randomly assigned IP addresses seemingly located in various cities far from my real location.

So it is possible that the scammer and the legit company just happen to be using the same ISP — and it is in a way not surprising that the scammer might be operating in the same country as the company, at least they will be in the know about thinks that might lend credibility to their scam.

The first thing to do is check the IP address with the WhoIs?, which may yield more detailed information about the owner of that IP.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammer pretending to represent MGM LINGUISTIC SOLUTIONS Company

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »