What do you think of offers with a informal method of payment ?
Thread poster: Vitor Pinheiro
Vitor Pinheiro
Vitor Pinheiro
Brazil
Local time: 03:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 25, 2022

I just got my first scam, and realized that its a common thing. They usually asks to leave the site that would handle the payment process safely. So i don't know if i should avoid these approaches or just be careful about them. Since i never got an offer that wasn't a scam outside the site.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:51
Danish to English
+ ...
What is an 'informal method of payment'? Mar 25, 2022

I think you've misunderstood how Proz.com works. The site doesn't get involved in securing payment for its members. That's your own responsibility. They do offer a payment option for those who want it, but that doesn't guarantee that the client will pay. Proz doesn't work like for example Upwork or Airbnb, where payment is guaranteed if you stay in their system.

Vitor Pinheiro
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Could you be more specific? Mar 25, 2022

Vitor Pinheiro wrote:

Could you explain more fully what you are trying to say, please?

Vitor Pinheiro
Vitor Pinheiro
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see Mar 25, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I think you've misunderstood how Proz.com works. The site doesn't get involved in securing payment for its members. That's your own responsibility. They do offer a payment option for those who want it, but that doesn't guarantee that the client will pay. Proz doesn't work like for example Upwork or Airbnb, where payment is guaranteed if you stay in their system.

I thought proz's payment system was like upwork's system. But since isn't, how do you determine if a job offer is trustworthy or not ?

Vitor Pinheiro
Vitor Pinheiro
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure Mar 25, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Vitor Pinheiro wrote:

Could you explain more fully what you are trying to say, please?

I'm trying to figure out how to determine if a freelancer job offer where the payment is not guaranteed by a third party that would connect both ends is a scam or not.

[Edited at 2022-03-25 15:14 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:51
Danish to English
+ ...
Due diligence Mar 25, 2022

Vitor Pinheiro wrote:

I thought proz's payment system was like upwork's system. But since isn't, how do you determine if a job offer is trustworthy or not ?

You need to do your own due diligence, for example:

- Look at the company's reputation in the Proz Blue Board.
- Look at the company's reputation at www.paymentpractices.net (requires a subscription).
- Check that emails are sent from the company's own web domain, not Gmail or the like, and don't fall for fake addresses such as [email protected].
- Read about how to recognise scams at proz.com and be wary of overly generous offers and prepayment offers (in most such cases, a counterfeit cheque is posted).
- If you have access, look up the company in the official company register for their country.
- Check out their website in general.
- If you are offered a large order as a beginner, be very suspicious and check if the source text is a commonly available document online.
- Is the email sent from an IP address that corresponds to their claimed address?
- Evaluate the client's general conduct. Are they evasive? Does their offer sound too good to be true? (Then it probably is.) Are they bossy?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Michele Fauble
Vitor Pinheiro
Kevin Fulton
Christine Andersen

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
Phone them Apr 1, 2022

You can always phone them and either talk about the pertinent job or ask for a quote. You usually get a good take on the prospective client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think of offers with a informal method of payment ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »