Matias Musante
Argentina
Local time: 06:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 16, 2022

Hi,
I sent someone a proZ message regarding a job offer that he/she made here,
then, I passed a MTPE test and now they are asking me to start working.

How can I know if it´s legit?

I have found some typos or misspellings that made me think it twice (in some of the received messages)
but everybody makes mistakes... ?

The email domain is correct (the webpage has been up for +15 years)
The company shows up if you search its na
... See more
Hi,
I sent someone a proZ message regarding a job offer that he/she made here,
then, I passed a MTPE test and now they are asking me to start working.

How can I know if it´s legit?

I have found some typos or misspellings that made me think it twice (in some of the received messages)
but everybody makes mistakes... ?

The email domain is correct (the webpage has been up for +15 years)
The company shows up if you search its name on proZ´s directory

Its the first client that I contact in this forum (thanks!) and I thought i might as well ask for some help about this..._

Thanks!

PM me if you need more information that may not be suitable for a public topic

[Editado a las 2022-06-16 19:19 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Need more information... Jun 16, 2022

First of all, I suppose you mean an outsourcer and not an employer. Then, you say the company shows up on Proz´s directory, but most importantly do they have a BB?

N.B. Please take care because scammers are always looking for beginners or new users.

[Edited at 2022-06-16 18:54 GMT]

Walter Landesman
Jorge Payan

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:51
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Check the Blue Board Jun 16, 2022

You could check the Blue Board on this site
https://www.proz.com/blueboard

-- You can find it under Jobs & directories on the dark green bar at the top of the page.
You may find some useful comments, if you check carefully. However, do not worry too much if there is no Blue Board entry for the potential outsourcer. Some do not have entries, even though they are perfectly legitimate
... See more
You could check the Blue Board on this site
https://www.proz.com/blueboard

-- You can find it under Jobs & directories on the dark green bar at the top of the page.
You may find some useful comments, if you check carefully. However, do not worry too much if there is no Blue Board entry for the potential outsourcer. Some do not have entries, even though they are perfectly legitimate.

Check the outsourcer's website - and use your common sense.

Look through this Wiki article - do any of the warnings fit?
https://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Detecting_and_reacting_to_false_job_offers_and_other_scams

I personally assume outsourcers ARE legitimate - the great majority are, but nobody posts here to say ´Hey, I worked for a good outsourcer today!´ You only hear about the scams. Some pay very low rates, admittedly, but they do pay, which is better than nothing, and you can try to bargain for better rates.

If scams are reported, Proz.com staff check up on them, and if the report is convincing, scammers are banned from posting jobs on the site.

Be careful what information you give about yourself, but if you do not find anything directly alarming, do a small job for the outsourcer and send an invoice. They will probably pay as agreed, although you can never be 100 % certain. But if a few spelling mistakes are the only problem, I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

Best of luck!

[Edited at 2022-06-16 23:13 GMT]
Collapse

Michele Fauble

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:51
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
For EU Jun 16, 2022

If you have an opportunity to request their VAT number, you may use the following resource to validate it:
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/

Matias Musante
Matias Musante
Argentina
Local time: 06:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok Jun 16, 2022

Radian, Christine and Teresa thank you all so much for responding!

Yes, it´s a Blue Board member because the original job offer page reads: "This job was posted by a Blue Board outsourcer"... and for what you tell me that means I can rest assured that it´s legit. Great!

See you around!

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
Japanese to English
+ ...
Is the employer legit? Jun 17, 2022

There are different types of "legit". One Romanian agency offers "large volumes of Japanese patent translation" yet their website consists of one word. Another agency in Japan is continually looking for new translators. They are quite forthright: "Passing our test will not guarantee that we will give you any work". They advertise every three or four weeks. Are these people braindead? One agency in London contacted me this week asking me to do a 500-word (unpaid, of course) sample translation fro... See more
There are different types of "legit". One Romanian agency offers "large volumes of Japanese patent translation" yet their website consists of one word. Another agency in Japan is continually looking for new translators. They are quite forthright: "Passing our test will not guarantee that we will give you any work". They advertise every three or four weeks. Are these people braindead? One agency in London contacted me this week asking me to do a 500-word (unpaid, of course) sample translation from Chinese for "a company that may give us business in the future". Yes, and pigs might fly. Agencies asking for "best rate, assuming long-term association" are to be binned. I could go on.Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
Japanese to English
+ ...
Employer legit? Jun 17, 2022

Another type of "client" to be avoided is the agency that constantly asks you for a quote on various documents. They are quite happy to have you waste your time doing a word-count, yet they never give you any work. The con is as follows: they contact numerous translators to provide a quote for the same document, then pick the lowest one. Then, "Can't understand why you don't answer our emails". This has happened to me several times with law firms. I have told them to pound sand.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Matias Jun 19, 2022

More interesting than “This job was posted by a Blue Board outsourcer” is what the Blue Board says. Check it carefully, even if their BB record is full of straight 5s…

Walter Landesman
Christine Andersen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to know if a employeer is legit

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »