Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:32
Danish to English
+ ...
Energy consumption per capita Jul 14, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

The more global citizens use air conditioners, the warmer our planet will become.

According to https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.USE.PCAP.KG.OE?locations=PT , the annual energy consumption per capita, measured in kg of oil equivalent, is 4233 in the Netherlands and 2132 in Portugal, so I believe we have a case of the pot calling the kettle black here. Lecturing the other way might seem more appropriate.

Besides, the climate is barely understood and there is no evidence that carbon emissions are the main driver behind any temperature or climate changes. That's primarily a political theory. The planet has been warmer before, long before industrialisation.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
time warp Jul 14, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

The more global citizens use air conditioners, the warmer our planet will become.

According to https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.USE.PCAP.KG.OE?locations=PT , the annual energy consumption per capita, measured in kg of oil equivalent, is 4233 in the Netherlands and 2132 in Portugal, so I believe we have a case of the pot calling the kettle black here. Lecturing the other way might seem more appropriate.

Besides, the climate is barely understood and there is no evidence that carbon emissions are the main driver behind any temperature or climate changes. That's primarily a political theory. The planet has been warmer before, long before industrialisation.

Get me out of here. I seem to have been transported back to the 1970s!

Angie Garbarino

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:32
English to French
It must be your surname Jul 14, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
The planet has been warmer before, long before industrialisation.

No doubt the planet will survive all right, many organisms can live in extreme conditions.
But from what I heard, there has never been 400ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere since Homo emerged. CO2 has been known as a GHG for centuries, and although 0.04% of CO2 in the air is indeed nothing, it is twice its pre-industrial rate.
I do tend to think Homo is having an devastating effect on the global climate by sending earthly carbon to the atmosphere through combustion (forests, hydrocarbons, peat...). Removing CO2 from the atmosphere seems to be complicated, and the plant kingdom does it much better than any tech. But slowly. And only when it's not burning.

Philippe

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
And the Earth is flat... Jul 15, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Give me a break. Jul 15, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Oh please, man.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Very thoughtful arguments Jul 15, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Oh please, man.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

And the Earth is flat...

I know, we are only allowed to have one single opinion about certain things. We are not allowed to think for ourselves but have to follow the great dogmas of the day unquestionably, as the media tell us to do. Otherwise, we are mocked or cancelled or whatever.

You guys ought to read The Emperor's New Clothes.

writeaway

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Are you for real? Jul 15, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
I know, we are only allowed to have one single opinion about certain things.

Tell me, why is it that people who freely express their opinion, but then are confronted with people wo freely express their opinion about their opinion, all of a sudden start to cry about 'Oh help, we are no longer allowed to say this or that'?

Be free to spread your nonsense, but don't expect people to just agree or don't react at all.

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
We are not allowed to think for ourselves but have to follow the great dogmas of the day unquestionably, as the media tell us to do.

I'm surprised you didn't use the words 'sheep', 'lying press' or 'MSM' but, then again, this will do just fine too.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am wondering...... Jul 15, 2022

Does anybody remember the original topic of this thread?

I am asking, because this goes nowhere.

[Edited at 2022-07-15 14:41 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The perfect job?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »