Scam alert: someone was impersonating my company to post jobs on a UK online job portal
Thread poster: Claudia Kozeny-Pelling
Claudia Kozeny-Pelling
Claudia Kozeny-Pelling  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:52
Member (2021)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 1, 2022

Unfortunately, it seems to be fairly easy for people to post fake job ads on online job portals. (Not sure if I can name the portal here, but it's one of the biggest UK ones.)

I run a one-woman translation / content writing company (Translate Digital Marketing) and received two job applications today. I was a bit puzzled, as I don't employ staff and certainly didn't recruit. Turns out they saw a job ad for translators using my company's name (though not quite the correct location).<
... See more
Unfortunately, it seems to be fairly easy for people to post fake job ads on online job portals. (Not sure if I can name the portal here, but it's one of the biggest UK ones.)

I run a one-woman translation / content writing company (Translate Digital Marketing) and received two job applications today. I was a bit puzzled, as I don't employ staff and certainly didn't recruit. Turns out they saw a job ad for translators using my company's name (though not quite the correct location).

I've flagged up the fake ad with the job portal and informed the applicants.

Please be aware that it's best to apply directly to companies rather than rely on online job portals! The information you find there could well be fake.

If you should see an ad using my company's name elsewhere, please let me know. I definitely don't recruit and want to make sure other translators don't fall into a trap. Thanks!
Collapse

Barbara Carrara

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Are you certain this is fraud? Sep 2, 2022

Your business name is built out of very generic words. Others elsewhere could be using the same name legitimately.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Claudia Sep 3, 2022

Over the years, I have received several job applications and I always thought that this was kind of an ingenious way of sending their CVs, now I’m starting to wonder if someone has also posted fake job ads under my name…

Claudia Kozeny-Pelling

Claudia Kozeny-Pelling
United Kingdom
Member (2021)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scam Sep 4, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Your business name is built out of very generic words. Others elsewhere could be using the same name legitimately.

Hi @Adieu, I'm very sure - they pretended to be "Translate Digital Marketing Ltd", and there's only one of those in the Companies House directory (my entry). Also, the ad itself looked suspicious. It was badly phrased and spelled and there was no information about the company itself.

I received a couple of applications directly from people who had seen the ad and wanted to ask questions about the "role", too.

Finally, I haven't found anyone else who uses this trading name online. They pretended to be from London but I can't find anyone there.

Claudia Kozeny-Pelling
United Kingdom
Member (2021)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've now written a blog post about what business owners and applicants can do about fake job ads Sep 7, 2022

I've now posted a summary of what happened and what company owners and job seekers can do if they've been affected by a fake job ad / scam. https://translatedigitalmarketing.com/false-advertisements-fake-job-ads/

Sadly, they are very common, as I've found out. You don't need more than a mobile number to create a fake job ad in many cases.

... See more
I've now posted a summary of what happened and what company owners and job seekers can do if they've been affected by a fake job ad / scam. https://translatedigitalmarketing.com/false-advertisements-fake-job-ads/

Sadly, they are very common, as I've found out. You don't need more than a mobile number to create a fake job ad in many cases.

I'll update the post when I have new info. Still waiting for some job portals to come back to me.

[Edited at 2022-09-07 10:00 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Jo Macdonald

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
So what do you think the goal of this is? Sep 8, 2022

Subcontracting actual jobs in your name to dine and dash on free labor?

Translator spam directory for offering other stuff under another name later?

Stealing resumes to pick the best ones, impersonate them, apply to legitimate companies with their credentials, to hopefully get jobs and then submit trash raw MT as paid work until caught?

Or what?

Claudia Kozeny-Pelling
United Kingdom
Member (2021)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scam Sep 9, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Subcontracting actual jobs in your name to dine and dash on free labor?

Translator spam directory for offering other stuff under another name later?

Stealing resumes to pick the best ones, impersonate them, apply to legitimate companies with their credentials, to hopefully get jobs and then submit trash raw MT as paid work until caught?

Or what?

Hi @Adieu, your guess is as good as mine! Could be any of them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam alert: someone was impersonating my company to post jobs on a UK online job portal

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »