Thread poster: Sercan Soydan
Sercan Soydan
Sercan Soydan
Türkiye
Local time: 08:37
English to Turkish
+ ...
Oct 1, 2022

Someone had contacted me via facebook messenger and offered me a job they directed me to this number +44 7424 488857 and wasted my time and caused me emotional distress. They have stolen some of my cridentials and might try to impesronate as me they baking account with the account number TR 55 0006 4000 024 0040 0497 79 is now defunct. Also I will not hesitate to provide proof about my ID.

Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sorry about your experience! Oct 2, 2022

I'm really sorry about your experience but you should check if the client is a real or just a scammer. You can do so through checking their Proz profile or Blue Board directory if they are talking with the name of a company.

For me, Facebook is not an official platform for work. So, if I were you, I would ask the client to send me an email with the company information to decide if I will work with them or not.

If they are a direct client not a company, ask at least 50%
... See more
I'm really sorry about your experience but you should check if the client is a real or just a scammer. You can do so through checking their Proz profile or Blue Board directory if they are talking with the name of a company.

For me, Facebook is not an official platform for work. So, if I were you, I would ask the client to send me an email with the company information to decide if I will work with them or not.

If they are a direct client not a company, ask at least 50% of the payment in advance!

Again, I'm sorry for your experience but this is what I usually follow! Hopefully, this will help you when you communicate with new clients!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Katarzyna Slowikova
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Yaotl Altan

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 06:37
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A lesson to be learned Oct 2, 2022

A genuine translation company doesn't contact you via Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype, etc.
This is one of the main red flags a translator should bear in mind.
In the future, use this to help you to perform your own due diligence: https://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience.

[Edited at 2022-10-02 12:06 GMT]

Katarzyna Slowikova
Dalia Nour
Sercan Soydan
Philip Lees
Yaotl Altan
Daryo

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:37
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What happened? Oct 2, 2022

Sercan Soydan wrote:

Someone had contacted me via facebook messenger and offered me a job they directed me to this number +44 7424 488857 and wasted my time and caused me emotional distress. They have stolen some of my cridentials and might try to impesronate as me they baking account with the account number TR 55 0006 4000 024 0040 0497 79 is now defunct. Also I will not hesitate to provide proof about my ID.

I can't tell what happened from your posting. would you care to elaborate on it?

Sercan Soydan
philgoddard
Daryo

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Scammed Oct 2, 2022

jyuan_us wrote:

I can't tell what happened from your posting. would you care to elaborate on it?

OP was scammed.

The end.

expressisverbis
Dalia Nour

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:37
English to Czech
+ ...
... Oct 2, 2022

Mr. Satan wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

OP was scammed.

By bakers!

expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)
Dalia Nour

Sercan Soydan
Sercan Soydan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Oct 2, 2022

They offered me a job and did not make a payment the took some of my personal details like: Name,Skills,Age,Email Account and Account Number of one of my baking accounts. I have proptly deleted the baking account after realized being scammed. They were impersonating as a reputable translation company namely Transperfect. And I fear that they may impersonate me too.

Sercan Soydan
Sercan Soydan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This keeps getting better Oct 2, 2022

Not only are they impersonating as a reputable company with this email account: [email protected] they are also impersonating as goverment agencies via using this email account: [email protected]. These two email accounts might go defunct after the jig is up.
Does Ireland have a law concerning the internati
... See more
Not only are they impersonating as a reputable company with this email account: [email protected] they are also impersonating as goverment agencies via using this email account: [email protected]. These two email accounts might go defunct after the jig is up.
Does Ireland have a law concerning the international transactions that orders you to make 500$ payment as the exhange fee or they will give away the money to the charty. Ofcourse they do not noone would work a country like that
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Large companies don't use gmail, hotmail, or other free email Oct 3, 2022

Why would a large translation company or agency use an gmail address?
It just doesn't happen. Instant red flag.
These days even tiny companies often have their own domains.

I am posting this not to criticise you, but for the benefit of other freelancers at risk of being scammed, who might naively think that it's normal for a corporate to use free email. Not only doesn't it happen at proper companies, many companies actively block access to free email sites.

... See more
Why would a large translation company or agency use an gmail address?
It just doesn't happen. Instant red flag.
These days even tiny companies often have their own domains.

I am posting this not to criticise you, but for the benefit of other freelancers at risk of being scammed, who might naively think that it's normal for a corporate to use free email. Not only doesn't it happen at proper companies, many companies actively block access to free email sites.

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2022-10-03 06:27 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton
Sercan Soydan
Michele Fauble
IrinaN
Yaotl Altan
Dalia Nour

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Dan Oct 4, 2022

I do agree with you, but there are always exceptions as they might use a Gmail address for other reasons. I’ll explain my reasoning: some years ago, I was contacted by someone with a Gmail address looking for an EN-PT translation on human rights. Apparently, all red flags were there: no company information, no profile photo, a very comfortable deadline, together with a very large number of words. Because the email was very well written and polite, I cautiously answered. To make a long story sh... See more
I do agree with you, but there are always exceptions as they might use a Gmail address for other reasons. I’ll explain my reasoning: some years ago, I was contacted by someone with a Gmail address looking for an EN-PT translation on human rights. Apparently, all red flags were there: no company information, no profile photo, a very comfortable deadline, together with a very large number of words. Because the email was very well written and polite, I cautiously answered. To make a long story short, it turned out to be a leading human rights organization. Later on, they told me that they always use a Gmail address for the first contact to avoid being flooded with unwanted email responses.Collapse

Michael Newton
expressisverbis
Adieu

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Good Oct 4, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:
To make a long story short, it turned out to be a leading human rights organization.

Well, that's the kind of pleasant exception to the rule that I like to hear about!

Dan

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 07:37
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Context is important. Oct 4, 2022

I had a corporate client (direct client) who loved using their gmail. But context is important: they used their corporate and gmail account alternately. They were a trusted client. We started with small projects until the trust has been built. They just used their gmail later on a lot as it was faster and easier for them.

OP: Facebook and FB groups are heaven for scammers, they are simply full of scammers. Before deciding to trust a random entity on FB or anywhere else, you should d
... See more
I had a corporate client (direct client) who loved using their gmail. But context is important: they used their corporate and gmail account alternately. They were a trusted client. We started with small projects until the trust has been built. They just used their gmail later on a lot as it was faster and easier for them.

OP: Facebook and FB groups are heaven for scammers, they are simply full of scammers. Before deciding to trust a random entity on FB or anywhere else, you should do your due diligence and learn how to recognize risks. A good place to start are ProZ risk management wiki pages (I believe they exist). Gmail is the most basic and obvious sign, but you can get scammed by legitimate corporate clients as well.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Outrageous Oct 4, 2022

Sercan Soydan wrote:

Not only are they impersonating as a reputable company {...}

Such a reputable company does not deserve to suffer this kind of unspeakable affront.

Baran Keki
jyuan_us
Michael Newton

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Original reply was removed.
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have been scamed by the Transperfect Impersonators

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »