Blackberry - perform OCR / count words in a .pdf document?
Thread poster: Pedro Coral Costa
Pedro Coral Costa
Pedro Coral Costa  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
English to Portuguese
Jan 12, 2010

Hi, I just bought a Blackberry. It can count words in Word documents, but would like to know if there is any app for the Blackberry that allows to perform OCR and count words in .pdf documents (it would be useful to send estimates to clients). Thanks in advance for your help.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 15:53
nope Jan 12, 2010

I have looked into this myself, but I don't think there is anything available.
I upgraded to DataViz Premium (Documents-To-Go) so I can at least count words in doc, ppt and xls, but PDF - I don't think so.

Pedro Coral Costa
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 12, 2010

I also ugraded to DataViz Premium (Documents-To-Go). The only problem is the .pdf files... I guess we will just have to wait a while.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
OCR on mobile devices Jan 12, 2010

Yes, although I doubt there will be a strong enough demand for this in the near future.
Let's hope I'm wrong

Hope you're happy with your BB.
I have the Curve 8900 and am very satisfied.
Cheers.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
OCR on a phone Jan 12, 2010

... is not going to happen.
It's just not feasible. I mean it could be done but it would be incredibly slow and there is no point in sinking development money into it because a grand total of 3 people would buy it. Just do it on a real computer.
As to word counts, perhaps you could try selecting all the text and pasting it into the text editor/word processor that can count words. Of course this won't work on scanned docs but nothing will work on those.
I wouldn't get my hopes u
... See more
... is not going to happen.
It's just not feasible. I mean it could be done but it would be incredibly slow and there is no point in sinking development money into it because a grand total of 3 people would buy it. Just do it on a real computer.
As to word counts, perhaps you could try selecting all the text and pasting it into the text editor/word processor that can count words. Of course this won't work on scanned docs but nothing will work on those.
I wouldn't get my hopes up about it working even on normal pdf, either...
Collapse

Pedro Coral Costa
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
No problems so far Jan 12, 2010

I have the Bold 9700 and I am totally happy with it. People told me that opening the attachments would be tricky but I made a few tests and it's extremely fast. It opens 20 page .pdf's instantly.

Pedro Coral Costa
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 12, 2010

Thank you all for the help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blackberry - perform OCR / count words in a .pdf document?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »