From a beginner
Thread poster: Anita Chiang
Anita Chiang
Anita Chiang
Local time: 21:07
English to Korean
+ ...
Oct 19, 2006

Could anyone guide me through basic steps of using SDL Trados T-Windows for PowerPoint? I need to create a TM while translating a PPT file and I presume T-Windows for PowerPoint is where I should get started. Many thanks in advance!

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:07
Swedish to English
+ ...
In a word, don't Oct 19, 2006

In more recent versions of Trados, it is better to use TagEditor. It will populate your TM, and also enable you to save both a bilingual and a clean Target version.

[Edited at 2006-10-19 22:47]

Anita Chiang
Anita Chiang
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you mean... Oct 19, 2006

Peter Linton wrote:

In more recent versions of Trados, it is better to use TagEditor. It will populate your TM, and also enable you to save both a bilingual and a clean Target version.

[Edited at 2006-10-19 22:47]

Peter, do you mean that if I use SDL Trados 2006 Freelance, I should open the PPT using TagEditor as well as Translator's Workbench?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Perhaps you should read the file Oct 19, 2006

on fileformats in your Trados folder (DOC).
Wordfast is very popular with ppt I believe. You open the ppt-file and an empty Word-doc and start translation in Word.
When I did my first ppt-translation I used SDLX for the first time and found it easy to use too.
Just follow the instructions.
Regards
Heinrich

Anita Chiang
Anita Chiang
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Oct 20, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

on fileformats in your Trados folder (DOC).
Wordfast is very popular with ppt I believe. You open the ppt-file and an empty Word-doc and start translation in Word.
When I did my first ppt-translation I used SDLX for the first time and found it easy to use too.
Just follow the instructions.
Regards
Heinrich

And I will do so as you suggested.

Rocío Cordero
Rocío Cordero  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
My experience Oct 20, 2006

I agree with Peter. I've been using TagEditor for .ppt files for a while and I've never got a problem. It's quite easy to use.

Kind Regards,

R.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:07
English to Spanish
SDLX too Oct 20, 2006

Hi

I agree with Heinrich. I've had losts of problems with Trados TagEditor changing the format of PowerPoint presentations in the past, SDLX seemed to pose no problems though, and it was very easy to use and intuitive. If you've recently bought a Trados licence, the chances are that you also have SDLX. If you go from Start to the SDLX section, you'll find a folder entitled documentation with lots of useful PDFs with simple explanations on how to use it. You can red the "SDLX Edit
... See more
Hi

I agree with Heinrich. I've had losts of problems with Trados TagEditor changing the format of PowerPoint presentations in the past, SDLX seemed to pose no problems though, and it was very easy to use and intuitive. If you've recently bought a Trados licence, the chances are that you also have SDLX. If you go from Start to the SDLX section, you'll find a folder entitled documentation with lots of useful PDFs with simple explanations on how to use it. You can red the "SDLX Edit Module" and "How to Translate with SDLX", they'll be a good start.

Not quite sure on whether it is always reliable with PowerPoints with notes and graphics, though.

Regards

Marta

[Edited at 2006-10-20 20:39]
Collapse

Anita Chiang
Anita Chiang
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Judging from your comments... Oct 20, 2006

It seems all of you folks have much more experience in this PPT and TM stuff than a mere beginner like me.
Thank you, I'll follow your suggestions.

Zita Petrán
Zita Petrán
Local time: 03:07
German to Hungarian
What about the confinement? - Question of an other beginner Oct 25, 2006

Hi all!

Sorry to be a little bit off, but I can bear no longer without wondering, that I can run SDLX! In the contract I saw a half year ago, there was a confinement, which said, I won't be able to run SDLX, when I choose Trados (and vice versa). Have I something misunderstand? Anyway, the first time I dare to start SDLX. Really. I just thought, I haven't any right, to use it! I just marvel, that it should be able to translet also txt and more...!

And experiences with T
... See more
Hi all!

Sorry to be a little bit off, but I can bear no longer without wondering, that I can run SDLX! In the contract I saw a half year ago, there was a confinement, which said, I won't be able to run SDLX, when I choose Trados (and vice versa). Have I something misunderstand? Anyway, the first time I dare to start SDLX. Really. I just thought, I haven't any right, to use it! I just marvel, that it should be able to translet also txt and more...!

And experiences with TagEditor, which I solely used till now: If the places for the words are very certain defined, you will find the too large words afterwards in many cases, what causes the claim on a lot of reparation. Using TagEditor you won't have the oppurtinity to check, how big the place for the given word there is. Maybe, you have to allocate a bit more time for the repairing afterwards.

Regards
Zita
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From a beginner

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »