Thread poster: Alice Jones
Alice Jones
Alice Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:37
French to English
Jan 12, 2012

Hi everyone,

I am a recently established French-to-English translator working in the UK. I would like to know whether I need to be a certified translator in order to provide translations of academic qualifications (e.g. degree certificates)? I have seen many requests for French-to-English translations of academic certificates but have so far been wary about bidding for them due to being uncertain about whether I need to be certified...

If it is the case that I need to b
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am a recently established French-to-English translator working in the UK. I would like to know whether I need to be a certified translator in order to provide translations of academic qualifications (e.g. degree certificates)? I have seen many requests for French-to-English translations of academic certificates but have so far been wary about bidding for them due to being uncertain about whether I need to be certified...

If it is the case that I need to be certified, how do I go about becoming a certified translator in the UK?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Alice
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not quite the same as other countries Jan 12, 2012

We don't have officially "certfied translators" in the UK as they do in some other countries.
However, Members or Fellows of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting are considered
to be qualified to certify their own translations.
When you are asked for a "certified translation", you will usually find that what is wanted is an affidavit from a solicitor or notary public confirming that you are who you say you are and that you have the qualifications you claim. I have fou
... See more
We don't have officially "certfied translators" in the UK as they do in some other countries.
However, Members or Fellows of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting are considered
to be qualified to certify their own translations.
When you are asked for a "certified translation", you will usually find that what is wanted is an affidavit from a solicitor or notary public confirming that you are who you say you are and that you have the qualifications you claim. I have found that solicitors' feed for this are quite low, from five to nine pounds.
Occasionally an "apostille" may be required, to satisfy some foreign government or other authority. This is more expensive, about GBP65.
Collapse

Alice Jones
Alice Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 13, 2012

Jack,

Thank you for your advice - it is most helpful. I am hoping to join the ITI very soon so, based on what you have said, once I have done so I should be able to bid for such projects... Thanks also for giving me an idea of what a reasonable solicitors' fee should be for such certification.

Alice

Mirelluk
Mirelluk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Also ATC Members Jan 13, 2012

In addition to what Jack said, note that also translation companies members of ATC in UK can certify translations. Not all their members do and prices vary quite a lot. We set up our procedures but and there no precise guidelines, as far as I know. So the market is quite deregulated compared to other European countries. Once you will have joined the ITI you will be deemed qualified to deliver certified translation but you have to bear in mind that such activity entails an additional assumption o... See more
In addition to what Jack said, note that also translation companies members of ATC in UK can certify translations. Not all their members do and prices vary quite a lot. We set up our procedures but and there no precise guidelines, as far as I know. So the market is quite deregulated compared to other European countries. Once you will have joined the ITI you will be deemed qualified to deliver certified translation but you have to bear in mind that such activity entails an additional assumption of responsibility.

Best wishes, M
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Certified translation in the UK

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »