Thread poster: S_G_C
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Voice of reason Oct 13, 2023

It must be hard to retain your sanity wearing a fez all day.

I do sympathise with Sorana, but I mostly tell my own tale of woe to non-translators who haven’t got anything to prove and have some interesting suggestions for alternative careers, such as becoming a stand-up comic or a gold miner.

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 20:42
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Emails vs posts Oct 13, 2023

@Lingua 5B and the others

I am not a paying proz.com member and, as such, all of my threads/posts/replies are subjected to vetting/moderation before they are made visible to the general public.

For obvious and objective reasons, this may take more than 24 hours.

My replies may well have become redundant by then. If the thread happens to acquire 1 or 2 or 3 more pages by then, who will notice my reply or replies appearing on any prior page?

@Lin
... See more
@Lingua 5B and the others

I am not a paying proz.com member and, as such, all of my threads/posts/replies are subjected to vetting/moderation before they are made visible to the general public.

For obvious and objective reasons, this may take more than 24 hours.

My replies may well have become redundant by then. If the thread happens to acquire 1 or 2 or 3 more pages by then, who will notice my reply or replies appearing on any prior page?

@Lingua 5B

You can only gift others what you bear in your heart. Romanian saying.

[Editat la 2023-10-13 09:01 GMT]

[Editat la 2023-10-13 09:04 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 18:42
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Back on topic... Oct 13, 2023

Try to attend job fairs in your country, if you can.

They are a great opportunity to network with industry members and find good clients, or even translators.

See, for example:

https://commission.europa.eu/translating-europe-workshops/technical-translation-today-romania-2023-11-16_en
... See more

They are a great opportunity to network with industry members and find good clients, or even translators.

See, for example:

https://commission.europa.eu/translating-europe-workshops/technical-translation-today-romania-2023-11-16_en

https://10times.com/top100/romania

This is just a thought... Who knows if it works?

[Edited at 2023-10-13 09:58 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Baran Keki
Angie Garbarino

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:42
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Last OT and some advice Oct 13, 2023

I just wanted to add that Corbyn was always too left-wing to have any hopes of being elected. He was kidding himself. He seemed like a member of the old Italian Communist Party to me. UK's society is too conservative for even the smallest change of direction towards the left. The Labour Party is not a left-wing party is a centre party, with many tory policies. Regarding the Guardian, I agree it's an establishment paper, but not as bad as others.

Working through fellow translators: j
... See more
I just wanted to add that Corbyn was always too left-wing to have any hopes of being elected. He was kidding himself. He seemed like a member of the old Italian Communist Party to me. UK's society is too conservative for even the smallest change of direction towards the left. The Labour Party is not a left-wing party is a centre party, with many tory policies. Regarding the Guardian, I agree it's an establishment paper, but not as bad as others.

Working through fellow translators: joining a translators' organisation like the CiOL or ITI can help finding clients. Unfortunately, in the last few years, clients tend to run away when they hear my rates. I'm not sure how my fellow translators can survive in the UK charging those rates.

Good luck!
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
TY Oct 13, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

See, for example:

https://10times.com/top100/romania

This is just a thought... Who knows if it works?

[Edited at 2023-10-13 09:58 GMT]

Thank you.

expressisverbis

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Realities Oct 18, 2023

For those of you who might believe I simply complain and do nothing: I missed a small translation today because I had to take my daughter to the ER. Luckily, she didn't need admittance, but will be on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs for a few days, staying home and not attending school.

Such situations have been happening frequently during the last 12 months. They are impossible to predict and are one of the reasons why me being an employee, whether as a translator or anythi
... See more
For those of you who might believe I simply complain and do nothing: I missed a small translation today because I had to take my daughter to the ER. Luckily, she didn't need admittance, but will be on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs for a few days, staying home and not attending school.

Such situations have been happening frequently during the last 12 months. They are impossible to predict and are one of the reasons why me being an employee, whether as a translator or anything else, may well not work. No employer would have kept me on board with the number of days I would have had to take off since September 2022. Another reason is that I got rejected multiple times. I am either too old, too not presentable (yup, that matters, too), or simply unqualified (and they are not willing to train newbies). Online tutoring did not work out so far either (I've been advertising myself since last year).

But yes, I will keep on searching and trying and hoping.

[Editat la 2023-10-18 12:55 GMT]

[Editat la 2023-10-18 13:09 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Manuela C.
Manuela C.
Local time: 19:42
English to French
+ ...
reply Oct 18, 2023

S_G_C wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

I vaguely remember that a colleague based in France offered you a job here, but if I'm not mistaken, you turned it down or that colleague couldn't help because of VAT.

On the other hand, in one of your many threads some members have already offered you some solutions, tips and good advice, but it seems that nothing is suitable.

[Edited at 2023-10-09 15:45 GMT]

I didn't turn anything down, but it's true that I do not hold an international tax code. I've explained why elsewhere.
The fact that it seems I am not considering or applying people's suggestions doesn't mean I truly do nothing. I just didn't publicly detail what I tried/did so far.

Just to clear things up, I sent Sorana a few tasks when I had more projects than usual and when it was possible to work without invoice and she did an excellent job, she is a very skilled, professional translator able to work with tight deadlines and applying all instructions. But lately I had a regular work load, so I could not keep on doing that.
I am considering Sorana for other jobs and I really recommend her for the quality of her work.
And I can assure you that the translation market for the Romanian language (target) is quite healthy nowadays, but unfortunately Sorana has not been identified yet by agencies that have regular flow of work for these languages.

[Edited at 2023-10-18 19:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-10-18 19:05 GMT]

expressisverbis
Dan Lucas
IrinaN
P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Leave for sick child Oct 19, 2023

S_G_C wrote:

Such situations have been happening frequently during the last 12 months. They are impossible to predict and are one of the reasons why me being an employee, whether as a translator or anything else, may well not work. No employer would have kept me on board with the number of days I would have had to take off since September 2022. Another reason is that I got rejected multiple times. I am either too old, too not presentable (yup, that matters, too), or simply unqualified (and they are not willing to train newbies). Online tutoring did not work out so far either (I've been advertising myself since last year).

I'm glad to hear your daughter didn't need to be admitted and hope she recovers quickly.

I was surprised to hear you say that you would have been fired for taking off work too often for a sick child. In the US that would not have surprised me at all, but it does in the EU. I looked it up, and at least on paper, Romania seems to have a pretty lenient policy for sick leave for children: https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=1126&langId=en&intPageId=4750 It looks like up to 45 days / year at 85% of your regular pay. Now, I understand that the realities of the workplace are not always in line with what legislators claim to be fact, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of in-house employment out of hand.

Remote work might be another great possibility. You can work "in-house" but not actually need to be present and, in some cases, can adapt your hours flexibly to your needs. This will depend on your employer, but I have had such a situation in the past, and when I've needed to take a sick child to the pediatrician, I've just let my colleagues know I'll be gone for an hour or two, and then I tacked those hours on to the end of the workday or later in the evening when the kids were in bed. That's one of the great things about being a translator - generally even for in-house positions people don't care *when* the work is done as long as it's done by the deadline.

You seem to be quite pessimistic and are shooting down everyone's suggestions. I understand you have reasons for doing so, but if you think it's impossible for you to be able to work reliably enough for an employer, that's not exactly going to endear you to the fellow translators you're asking for work. I don't work in your language pair, so it's irrelevant, but if a colleague were saying that they would never be able to hold down a regular job because they are constantly dealing with emergencies at home, and then in the same breath they asked me to send them work, I would be very hesitant to do so. I'd be afraid they'd leave me or my clients in a lurch.

Edit: typo

[Edited at 2023-10-19 06:10 GMT]

expressisverbis

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, but Oct 19, 2023

Rita Translator wrote:

S_G_C wrote:

I'm glad to hear your daughter didn't need to be admitted and hope she recovers quickly.

I was surprised to hear you say that you would have been fired for taking off work too often for a sick child. In the US that would not have surprised me at all, but it does in the EU. I looked it up, and at least on paper, Romania seems to have a pretty lenient policy for sick leave for children: https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=1126&langId=en&intPageId=4750 It looks like up to 45 days / year at 85% of your regular pay. Now, I understand that the realities of the workplace are not always in line with what legislators claim to be fact, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of in-house employment out of hand.

Remote work might be another great possibility. You can work "in-house" but not actually need to be present and, in some cases, can adapt your hours flexibly to your needs. This will depend on your employer, but I have had such a situation in the past, and when I've needed to take a sick child to the pediatrician, I've just let my colleagues know I'll be gone for an hour or two, and then I tacked those hours on to the end of the workday or later in the evening when the kids were in bed. That's one of the great things about being a translator - generally even for in-house positions people don't care *when* the work is done as long as it's done by the deadline.

You seem to be quite pessimistic and are shooting down everyone's suggestions. I understand you have reasons for doing so, but if you think it's impossible for you to be able to work reliably enough for an employer, that's not exactly going to endear you to the fellow translators you're asking for work. I don't work in your language pair, so it's irrelevant, but if a colleague were saying that they would never be able to hold down a regular job because they are constantly dealing with emergencies at home, and then in the same breath they asked me to send them work, I would be very hesitant to do so. I'd be afraid they'd leave me or my clients in a lurch.

Edit: typo

[Edited at 2023-10-19 06:10 GMT]

Constantly dealing with emergencies, but the post above says: “she is a very skilled, professional translator able to work with tight deadlines”.

Bye bye logic.

Also, the person above praises her work, but didn’t leave her a WWA, which would be good for her profile and exposure to clients. Instead, she praises her work on the community forums read by freelancers only, as if freelancers were full of Romanian projects to share.

Bye bye logic once again.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Law Oct 19, 2023

Rita Translator wrote:

You seem to be quite pessimistic and are shooting down everyone's suggestions.

Please stop believing I am shooting down everyone's suggestions. I simply did not detail publicly what I have tried so far.

Also, the law you have quoted has been amended. This is the most recent law on the matter: LEGE nr. 179 din 22 iunie 2023. It changed the age limit from 7 to 12 (my daughter does not qualify, she's over 12) for non-disabled children (there are other laws establishing the disability criteria, degrees, and categories) and to 18 for disabled children (my daughter is not considered disabled by the medical staff and the local Social/Children's Services, only academically impaired).

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@Manuela: Writing a reference? Oct 19, 2023

Manuela C. wrote:

Just to clear things up, I sent Sorana a few tasks when I had more projects than usual and when it was possible to work without invoice and she did an excellent job, she is a very skilled, professional translator able to work with tight deadlines and applying all instructions. But lately I had a regular work load, so I could not keep on doing that.
I am considering Sorana for other jobs and I really recommend her for the quality of her work.
(...)

Would you consider posting a reference (feedback on WWA - Willingness to Work Again) and a rating on Sorana's profile page, and perhaps writing a letter of recommendation for her?
Such things may seem old-fashioned, but don't you often read customer reviews before buying a product?

@Sorana: You might consider improving your profile instead, for example by having your identity verified by Proz (this does not imply that your real name will be displayed), or just stating "Available on request" regarding your CV. The tagline below your profile name could be improved as well.
Earning KudoZ points could also help you get more visibility.
If you have worked with agencies who were happy with your work, ask them for references/letters of recommendation too. You'll use agency references for other agencies, not for direct clients of course.
You may also consider creating a website (even a free one) for a more detailed presentation of your services. This adds to a professional presentation and gives you more visibility on search engines.

Edit: I just see now the WWA point was already mentioned.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-10-19 08:07 GMT]

expressisverbis

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Ty Oct 19, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

@Sorana: You might consider improving your profile instead, for example by having your identity verified by Proz (this does not imply that your real name will be displayed), or just stating "Available on request" regarding your CV. The tagline below your profile name could be improved as well.
Earning KudoZ points could also help you get more visibility.
If you have worked with agencies who were happy with your work, ask them for references/letters of recommendation too. You'll use agency references for other agencies, not for direct clients of course.
You may also consider creating a website (even a free one) for a more detailed presentation of your services. This adds to a professional presentation and gives you more visibility on search engines.

Thank you!
My full name can be found on Google because some of the projects I worked on are books. Should I publicly display the links? They are included in my CV.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Poetry Oct 19, 2023

S_G_C wrote:
@Lingua 5B

You can only gift others what you bear in your heart. Romanian saying.

OK. Poetry aside, have you started the process of verifying your identity?

Hopefully you don't use poetry and/or wisdom quotes when replying to clients.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@Lingua 5B Oct 19, 2023

Let's be less harsh if there's no reason to be (which is rarely the case).

Lingua 5B
Angie Garbarino
Kevin Fulton
Joe France
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Agree, Zea. Oct 19, 2023

I agree, that may have sounded too harsh. I honestly believe that wisdom quotes are largely off-topic here, does that sound better?

If I ask her why she completely ignored and did not address the verification part at all, but instead sending a wisdom quote to divert the conversation, that’ll be harsh as well?

[Edited at 2023-10-19 11:23 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding work through fellow translators

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »