Thread poster: S_G_C
S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 22:36
English to Romanian
Oct 2, 2023

Have you tried this? Has it worked?

(it did for me, several times in the past, but what I need is consistency, missing a month is catastrophic for me)

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:36
Japanese to English
+ ...
Finding work through other translators Oct 3, 2023

I think this is expecting a bit too much. My sense is that there is not so much Romanian work to be had and what work there is is most likely coveted by other translators who may not be willing to share. If you "need consistency", translation is not the profession for you. For better or worse, translation tends to be "gig work". Like being a musician. It is feast or famine, oftentimes famine. I have seen your posts on this site before. I would kindly suggest that you pivot to something else. If ... See more
I think this is expecting a bit too much. My sense is that there is not so much Romanian work to be had and what work there is is most likely coveted by other translators who may not be willing to share. If you "need consistency", translation is not the profession for you. For better or worse, translation tends to be "gig work". Like being a musician. It is feast or famine, oftentimes famine. I have seen your posts on this site before. I would kindly suggest that you pivot to something else. If you want consistency, you need a full-time job. I'm sure this is not want you want to hear. You might try for a job in an international organization or legal firm.Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Josephine Cassar
Dalia Nour
Barbara Carrara

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Not Oct 3, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

I think this is expecting a bit too much.
You might try for a job...

I'd rather not discuss full-time jobs here. I did try but I wasn't shortlisted. Or I was told off right away.
There is one particular reason why I need to have a flexible schedule and mostly be at home: my daughter's health.

monica.m
monica.m
Italy
Local time: 21:36
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
Forget it Oct 3, 2023

Forget it!

S_G_C wrote:

(it did for me, several times in the past, but what I need is consistency, missing a month is catastrophic for me)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Consistency of work? Oct 3, 2023

There isn’t such a thing when you work as a freelancer and I must say that my experience is that even in-house work is extremely irregular. I’ve never tried finding work through other translators, but networking is an essential part of a freelance translator’s professional life and Proz is quite good for networking with colleagues. As a result of good relationships built here with other translators, I’ve been recommended by colleagues who are either too busy to accept a job, or for proje... See more
There isn’t such a thing when you work as a freelancer and I must say that my experience is that even in-house work is extremely irregular. I’ve never tried finding work through other translators, but networking is an essential part of a freelance translator’s professional life and Proz is quite good for networking with colleagues. As a result of good relationships built here with other translators, I’ve been recommended by colleagues who are either too busy to accept a job, or for projects outside their area of expertise but falling on mine. I find recommendations of colleagues highly motivating and rewarding. Of course, I’ve done the same…Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Dalia Nour
Thayenga
Michael Newton
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Daniel Fernandes

British Diana
British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Roumanian forum Oct 3, 2023

There's a non-English forum for the Roumanian language. That's surely the obvious place for you to make your request.

expressisverbis
Paul Morris

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 3, 2023

I haven't ever looked for work from other translators, but I have had a translator reach out to me to translate her website, and a fellow student from university once asked if I could do a translation for her while she was on holiday.

I agree that if you want consistency, you won't find it in freelance translation. As an in-house translator it might be possible. For example I remember hearing about a translator working for a bank who had a consistent workflow of not very much at al
... See more
I haven't ever looked for work from other translators, but I have had a translator reach out to me to translate her website, and a fellow student from university once asked if I could do a translation for her while she was on holiday.

I agree that if you want consistency, you won't find it in freelance translation. As an in-house translator it might be possible. For example I remember hearing about a translator working for a bank who had a consistent workflow of not very much at all throughout the week, then a week's worth of text dumped on him on Thursday afternoon for Friday morning.
Collapse

Dalia Nour
Philip Lees
expressisverbis

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
It might Oct 3, 2023

S_G_C wrote:

It's worth networking with other translators as they may refer you to clients or even need translation work themselves. This has happened for me on several occasions.

This should not be your only marketing approach though as it's unlikely to bring in a consistent and reliable flow of work. For that, you need to be marketing yourself to your intended clients.

Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Daniel Fernandes
Kevin Fulton

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Consistency Oct 3, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:

I agree that if you want consistency, you won't find it in freelance translation. As an in-house translator it might be possible. For example I remember hearing about a translator working for a bank who had a consistent workflow of not very much at all throughout the week, then a week's worth of text dumped on him on Thursday afternoon for Friday morning.

I have had a fairly consistent flow of work throughout most of my translation career. It's been up and down this year for reasons relating both to me (I took a lot of time out to study recently) and to the market in general (I think a lot of translators have been experiencing inconsistent work flow this year).

Angie Garbarino

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Different realities Oct 3, 2023

Rachel Waddington wrote:
It's worth networking with other translators as they may refer you to clients or even need translation work themselves. This has happened for me on several occasions.

I truly appreciate your good intentions, but sadly your experience as a native English translator is markedly different than those translating from English into not-so-popular languages and not very relevant (in fact, not relevant at all).
I think Michael Newton is spot on in saying "My sense is that there is not so much Romanian work to be had and what work there is is most likely coveted by other translators who may not be willing to share."

Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Daniel Fernandes

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Consistency is possible, but... Oct 3, 2023

I have a more or less consistent workflow, slow periods in which I don't reach my full daily capacity are rare (5 to 10 working days a year at most). But then again I offer 3 language pairs and multiple specialization fields.

I honestly wouldn't see myself survive in this industry with 1 language pair and 1 or 2 specialization fields.

As far as work through fellow translators is concerned, I can't believe that could be some kind of Holy Grail to improve one's workflow.
... See more
I have a more or less consistent workflow, slow periods in which I don't reach my full daily capacity are rare (5 to 10 working days a year at most). But then again I offer 3 language pairs and multiple specialization fields.

I honestly wouldn't see myself survive in this industry with 1 language pair and 1 or 2 specialization fields.

As far as work through fellow translators is concerned, I can't believe that could be some kind of Holy Grail to improve one's workflow. If a colleague would give you a lot of work, that colleague wouldn't be much different from a regular translation agency, anyway.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Philip Lees
expressisverbis

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
"Not relevant at all" Oct 3, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:

I truly appreciate your good intentions, but sadly your experience as a native English translator is markedly different than those translating from English into not-so-popular languages and not very relevant (in fact, not relevant at all).
I think Michael Newton is spot on in saying "My sense is that there is not so much Romanian work to be had and what work there is is most likely coveted by other translators who may not be willing to share."

I can obviously only speak of my own experience and I'm aware my language combo puts me in a priviledged position. I still think it's worth building relationships with other translators though - it can't hurt and referrals may come from translators in other languages fielding enquiries.

I'm also assuming that translators other than the OP will read the responses and that my experience may be relevant to them even if it isn't to the OP (who didn't ask about Romanian specifically, but for other translators' experience).

If only translators with direct experience in the poster's particular language combination reply to questions, posts like these will likely receive very few (or no) answers and quickly fall to the bottom of the list and not be seen by anyone.

Do you have any advice for the OP other than that there is not much work to be had?

P.L.F. Persio
Dan Lucas
Daniel Fernandes
Angie Garbarino

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
It's a tough time for many Oct 4, 2023

I'm sorry you're struggling, it's a tough time for many translators. Have you considered looking for other types of work to tide you over as you consider your options?
Getting work through other translators can be a great strategy but it's not one you can rely on. You need to be marketing on lots of different fronts.
How much marketing do you currently do?

Here are just a few ideas:
Optimise your LinkedIn profile and start building your network.
Share posts a
... See more
I'm sorry you're struggling, it's a tough time for many translators. Have you considered looking for other types of work to tide you over as you consider your options?
Getting work through other translators can be a great strategy but it's not one you can rely on. You need to be marketing on lots of different fronts.
How much marketing do you currently do?

Here are just a few ideas:
Optimise your LinkedIn profile and start building your network.
Share posts and create content.
Nudge dormant agencies who you haven't worked for for a while, and apply to new ones. Make sure your CV is up to scratch!
Identify potential direct clients and reach out to them, via trade fairs, conferences or LinkedIn.
Diversify. Nicole Adams has written a great book on the subject (https://www.amazon.com/Diversification-Language-Industry-Success-translation/dp/0987477722)
Have you considered online teaching or MTPE?

There are various books on the market to help you with marketing. Try Tess Whitty's book and podcast (https://marketingtipsfortranslators.com/about-tess-whitty).

It may ultimately be that translation is no longer for you, or it may be that you can make it work.
But you need to be proactive!
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Zea_Mays
expressisverbis
Daniel Fernandes
Dan Lucas
Kay Denney
Angie Garbarino

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
in-house Oct 5, 2023

If you need a consistent income with little fluctuation, then I agree with other posters who have suggested trying to find an in-house position. The work in-house might also not come in consistently, but your pay is consistent and in the end, that's probably what counts for you.

Rachel Waddington
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Advice Oct 5, 2023

Rachel Waddington wrote:
Do you have any advice for the OP other than that there is not much work to be had?

Okay, I have given this some thought. If she wants to make big bucks out of translation business, she can start giving 'translation tips' to translators (newbies and seasoned translators alike). I've found that nothing earns you more money than teaching people how to suck eggs. It really works. She can create a series of 'Mastermind Classes' aimed at marketing, leveraging your resources (like teaching how to use MateCat, make the most of Google Translate, write actionable and compelling messages on LinkedIn etc.), improving your wellness through new age mumbo-jumbo, streamed online or held in-person (preferably organized in a seaside resort somewhere in Spain), and charge extortionate fees (but actually make a killing from the 'super early bird specials', they should be very strategically priced).
I'm sure she'll have no shortage of clients. Translators always want to invest in their professional development and are forever hungry for commonsensical nuggets of wisdom (gets them all the time!)
She can alternatively write a book on 'how to make it' as a translator (based on the knowledge she imparts in those Mastermind Classes, but without giving too much away, that's important, because people must come back for more). If language (writing in English) proves to be a hurdle, she can always have ChatGPT write the book for her (on a serious note though, that's been actually done) and she can sell that book on Amazon for a tidy sum (there'll always be takers).
As others suggested, she should be active on LinkedIn, and share some free stuff every now and then (to reel people in), like short Youtube videos where she gives very important pointers to take one's translation business to the next level. She must talk at length about AI and MT, but emphasize with some pseudo made up evidence how the need for human translators will never cease to exist (for the complete takeover by MT is very bad news for the translator gurus dishing out advice to ambitious translators). And so on and so forth...

Jorge Payan
Rachel Waddington
Philippe Etienne
Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Juno Bos

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding work through fellow translators

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »