hurrah! Mar 4, 2009

best post ever!

Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 08:15
English to German
+ ...
A very nice topic - if only the title said what is meant Mar 6, 2009

Although I have nothing to say to a matter concerning En natives - it is quite obvious that all the nicely worded statements about the dubious results to be expected from translations into other than one's native language, all the more in translations from one non-native language into another non-native language, apply pretty much to any language combination.

I must yet say with all my due esteem for this excellent entry, I would have liked the writer to be more precise in his title
... See more
Although I have nothing to say to a matter concerning En natives - it is quite obvious that all the nicely worded statements about the dubious results to be expected from translations into other than one's native language, all the more in translations from one non-native language into another non-native language, apply pretty much to any language combination.

I must yet say with all my due esteem for this excellent entry, I would have liked the writer to be more precise in his title - which, as it is given here, seems to convey the exact opposite of what is not only the belief of the writer, but rather common stock among qualified translators -though, I repeat, rarely to be seen voiced with such excellent verve.

To be practical - for a future occasion ;o) -

Also English needs - and is entitled to native competence!

[Edited at 2009-03-06 12:10 GMT]
Collapse

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:15
French to English
+ ...
I've been thinking this too... Mar 13, 2009

I'm a fairly new member and whilst I really value the input of non-native speakers in helping to clarify the meaning of complex phrases in their own languages, I am often surprised to see them gaily posting answers, even to literary/marketing/journalistic - type questions. I think they would be surprised to know that we can usually tell, without looking at the poster's profile, whether the answer was posted by a native English speaker or not.

[Edited at 2009-03-13 21:39 GMT
... See more
I'm a fairly new member and whilst I really value the input of non-native speakers in helping to clarify the meaning of complex phrases in their own languages, I am often surprised to see them gaily posting answers, even to literary/marketing/journalistic - type questions. I think they would be surprised to know that we can usually tell, without looking at the poster's profile, whether the answer was posted by a native English speaker or not.

[Edited at 2009-03-13 21:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-13 21:39 GMT]
Collapse

Deborah Hoffman
Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 02:15
Russian to English
+ ...
on a related note Mar 18, 2009

I love the times when the answer of a native English speaker and attorney about what a legal document means is disregarded for the answer of someone who is neither. Fortunately not too many lawsuits come out of translations but I can envision a few based on the answers I've seen be chosen here. Were I translating a scientific document, I would want the scientific term provided by if possible a scientist.

On a related note, I have no problem bowing to native speakers of my second lan
... See more
I love the times when the answer of a native English speaker and attorney about what a legal document means is disregarded for the answer of someone who is neither. Fortunately not too many lawsuits come out of translations but I can envision a few based on the answers I've seen be chosen here. Were I translating a scientific document, I would want the scientific term provided by if possible a scientist.

On a related note, I have no problem bowing to native speakers of my second language either, I just wish it were done more tactfully sometimes given the crap I've passed over or commented on as respectfully as possible in my time here.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Who needs the natives, update Jul 29, 2011

Now it's 2011. On Nl-En, a Dutch native speaker questioned how idiomatically correct the use of the conjunction or was in a sentence. The person who used it in an answer (to a Nl-En question posted by a Dutch native) is a full time professional native English (genuine, ie born into the language) translator with a medical degree as well. The native English translator kindly explained the use, but the Dutch speaker still didn't believe the explanation was correct (it's simple, basic... See more
Now it's 2011. On Nl-En, a Dutch native speaker questioned how idiomatically correct the use of the conjunction or was in a sentence. The person who used it in an answer (to a Nl-En question posted by a Dutch native) is a full time professional native English (genuine, ie born into the language) translator with a medical degree as well. The native English translator kindly explained the use, but the Dutch speaker still didn't believe the explanation was correct (it's simple, basic English, nothing scientific or complicated) and ONLY when a fellow native Dutch person came in and explained (in Dutch) did the native Dutch translator finally accept it may well be correct!!! If such a thing happened the other way round (ie a native Anglo questioned the idiomatic use of simple Dutch and ONLY accepted an explanation from another Anglo, because they didn't believe the explanation from a native Dutch person), I have a feeling fur would fly.
Who needs the natives, indeed! Plus ça change........
Collapse

Yvonne Gallagher

Alice__M
Alice__M
English to French
+ ...
Bien d'accord avec Ian Jul 29, 2011

[quote]xxxIanW wrote:

, Sometimes, however, there are nuances which virtually only a native speaker can detect. But when an English native speaker states that “it doesn’t sound right”, this is often ignored … or disputed.

Bonsoir ! I fully agree with you : maybe the explanation is that there are as many, if not more, non native people who can speak "globish"than there are native speakers of English.
Every "globish" speakers feels he can master the language and give advice when he can barely make himself understood.

mariabarrios (X)
mariabarrios (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree Jul 30, 2011

I am not an English native speaker, and this not only happens with translations, but with everything. Why do people think that just because they learnt a little of this and a little of that they're better than a professional? If you think you can, sure, try, but if an expert is telling you that you are doing/saying something wrong, learn from the mistake. I don't know why it is so hard for some people.

Hope you don't have more trouble in the future! Any of you!

Greeting
... See more
I am not an English native speaker, and this not only happens with translations, but with everything. Why do people think that just because they learnt a little of this and a little of that they're better than a professional? If you think you can, sure, try, but if an expert is telling you that you are doing/saying something wrong, learn from the mistake. I don't know why it is so hard for some people.

Hope you don't have more trouble in the future! Any of you!

Greetings from Spain.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English: Who needs the natives?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »