Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:30
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
I think Nov 9, 2021

João Roque Dias wrote:

I'd be very careful, because the domain -- acmesupercorporation.com -- DOES NOT even exist.

That is, NO whois record and NO DNS records.

It is possible that this email address is a fantasy address forwarded to another, existing, email address, which you will never know.

I think the other two users resorted to using a fake name for the sake of confidentiality. It's just a way of not disclosing the company name.

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)
Hasan Tanyel

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 12:30
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Exactly! Nov 9, 2021

Metin Demirel wrote:

João Roque Dias wrote:

I'd be very careful, because the domain -- acmesupercorporation.com -- DOES NOT even exist.

That is, NO whois record and NO DNS records.

It is possible that this email address is a fantasy address forwarded to another, existing, email address, which you will never know.

I think the other two users resorted to using a fake name for the sake of confidentiality. It's just a way of not disclosing the company name.

You are right, Metin. According to the rule below, we aren't allowed to explicitly disclose the real name or contact of an outsourcer.

"Outsourcers may not be discussed specifically.
Posts or comments regarding a specific outsourcer (identified by name, reference, link or other means), whether positive or negative, are not permitted."

https://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=forum

Thomas T. Frost
Mr. Satan (X)

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:30
Danish to English
+ ...
Fictional Nov 9, 2021

Good to see that at least some people follow the topic. The attentive reader would have noticed that I was the one to introduce the fictional domain, not the original poster, and that the latter has not disclosed the name. As Sandra rightly said, it would have been a violation of the forum rules to post an actual client name, so I quite obviously didn’t.

Many people would be familiar with the fictional name 'Acme' from the Road Runner cartoons. As Wikipedia explains: 'The Acme Cor
... See more
Good to see that at least some people follow the topic. The attentive reader would have noticed that I was the one to introduce the fictional domain, not the original poster, and that the latter has not disclosed the name. As Sandra rightly said, it would have been a violation of the forum rules to post an actual client name, so I quite obviously didn’t.

Many people would be familiar with the fictional name 'Acme' from the Road Runner cartoons. As Wikipedia explains: 'The Acme Corporation is a fictional corporation that features prominently in the Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote animated shorts as a running gag featuring outlandish products that fail or backfire catastrophically at the worst possible times,' which is why I use it for fictional names.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:30
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hiring a lawyer? Nov 9, 2021

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

...read the fine print, carefully. Remember that contracts can be interpreted in multiple ways. If necessary, hire a lawyer to dissect that for you.

If you chose to proceed, maybe it's also a good idea to keep (and backup) all email communications with them, just in case if they're up for some brawl.

I wouldn't spend anything in consulting a lawyer before I'm sure of a strong prospect of being able to make a lot of money myself.

Thomas T. Frost
Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
True Nov 10, 2021

jyuan_us wrote:

I wouldn't spend anything in consulting a lawyer before I'm sure of a strong prospect of being able to make a lot of money myself.

But when the contract feels like it's sprinkling asterisks all over it, it's best to leave it to the professionals. Then again, that on itself is probably not a good sign.

[Edited at 2021-11-10 08:33 GMT]

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need help with my first time going full pro

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »