Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
I need help with my first time going full pro
Thread poster: Itlas
Itlas
Itlas
Italy
Nov 5, 2021

Hello all, it's my first post here, I hope I'm not breaking any rule.

I'm a demi-professional editor and today I've been proposed to edit the italian translation of a game, rated AAA.
The company offers 2600€ x month, paid through paypal or google but they want me to sign the contract today, which is kinda a red flag for me.
You have to know that this would be my first real contract and I basically know nothing about this world.

My questions are:
... See more
Hello all, it's my first post here, I hope I'm not breaking any rule.

I'm a demi-professional editor and today I've been proposed to edit the italian translation of a game, rated AAA.
The company offers 2600€ x month, paid through paypal or google but they want me to sign the contract today, which is kinda a red flag for me.
You have to know that this would be my first real contract and I basically know nothing about this world.

My questions are:

1) Is it normal to have to sign a contract so soon and with a pay so high? And are payments through paypal normal in this world?

2) For other italian or EU members of this forum, how a contract from an extra EU country gets contextualized in the italian or EU revenue?
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 14:52
French to Italian
+ ...
Signing contracts is OK Nov 5, 2021

1) Signing contracts (vendor agreements and NDA) is normal for my experience. The rest is unusual and fishy, but if you are dealing directly with the game company, it could be how they run their business. So, before missing this opportunity, do your research about the company. Are they writing from a company email address? Does the website under the same name work and look professional? The person you talk to has a LinkedIn page?
You are the one that can find out if this is a scam.
<
... See more
1) Signing contracts (vendor agreements and NDA) is normal for my experience. The rest is unusual and fishy, but if you are dealing directly with the game company, it could be how they run their business. So, before missing this opportunity, do your research about the company. Are they writing from a company email address? Does the website under the same name work and look professional? The person you talk to has a LinkedIn page?

2) Are they hiring you as an employee or a freelancer? As a freelancer, you need a VAT number.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Mr. Satan (X)

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Some questions to ask yourself Nov 5, 2021

1. How much of your time will it take each month?
2. Do you regard that as a fair hourly income?
3. Are they a well known company?
4. Have you looked them up on BlueBoard?
5. Have you set a credit limit? This is essential for everyone you deal with, no matter how much you trust them. So, for example, they might pay you every two weeks so they never owe you more than €1,300.
6. Do I get a good feeling about these people?

I don't think there's anything
... See more
1. How much of your time will it take each month?
2. Do you regard that as a fair hourly income?
3. Are they a well known company?
4. Have you looked them up on BlueBoard?
5. Have you set a credit limit? This is essential for everyone you deal with, no matter how much you trust them. So, for example, they might pay you every two weeks so they never owe you more than €1,300.
6. Do I get a good feeling about these people?

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong in asking you to sign the contract quickly.

Also, I don't recommend PayPal for large amounts like this. It's very expensive. I find customers are usually happy to use bank transfers if I say this.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2021-11-05 15:03 GMT]
Collapse

Josephine Cassar

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
Another question Nov 5, 2021

Have you seen the game and the text? Have you estimated the time it will take and is the amount they are offering in line with what you would usually charge? How many months is this going to take and will you have a chance to also do other work in that time?

For a large amount such as this, ask for payment by bank drafts; Paypal would cost you too much in fees. But, like Elena says, the large amount seems fishy and why the rush to sign the contract? I would write the client a polit
... See more
Have you seen the game and the text? Have you estimated the time it will take and is the amount they are offering in line with what you would usually charge? How many months is this going to take and will you have a chance to also do other work in that time?

For a large amount such as this, ask for payment by bank drafts; Paypal would cost you too much in fees. But, like Elena says, the large amount seems fishy and why the rush to sign the contract? I would write the client a polite email saying that you need a few days to go through the contract and consider all the details.
Collapse

Tom in London
Walter Landesman
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
ahartje

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Are you sure? Nov 5, 2021

Elena Feriani wrote:

Are they hiring you as an employee or a freelancer? As a freelancer, you need a VAT number.

I don't know about Italy, but this is not the case in my native UK.

Elena Feriani

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:52
Danish to English
+ ...
VAT thresholds Nov 5, 2021

Elena Feriani wrote:
As a freelancer, you need a VAT number.

According to https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/taxation/vat/vat-exemptions/index_en.htm#shortcut-3 , Italy has a VAT threshold of €65,000, which means that a VAT number is not required as long as earnings remain below that.

The whole things sounds like a scam, though. Which email domain did they use? If it's Gmail or something similar, then forget it. It's very unusual for a beginner to be offered that sort of order.

expressisverbis

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
I see two red flags Nov 5, 2021

Rated "AAA"? What the hell does that even mean? Or is that a local Italian expression?

Also, PayPal or Google only? Bit odd.

On the potentially-bright side, the pay is middlingly LOW (unless it is a less-than-full-time gig) and a rather random number. Scammers might as well promise a nice fat sum if they don't intend to pay.

I suppose you COULD sign the contract, then reach out to the developer and quietly verify that these people are known to them.

... See more
Rated "AAA"? What the hell does that even mean? Or is that a local Italian expression?

Also, PayPal or Google only? Bit odd.

On the potentially-bright side, the pay is middlingly LOW (unless it is a less-than-full-time gig) and a rather random number. Scammers might as well promise a nice fat sum if they don't intend to pay.

I suppose you COULD sign the contract, then reach out to the developer and quietly verify that these people are known to them.

[Edited at 2021-11-05 15:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-11-05 15:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-11-05 15:36 GMT]
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
@Phil+Thomas: Not sure! Nov 5, 2021

philgoddard wrote:

I don't know about Italy, but this is not the case in my native UK.

I know I needed a VAT number if I earned more that 5k a year (from UE and non-UE clients) as a freelancer, that's why I got one...
Below 65k a year people don't need to charge VAT if they choose the so-called "regime forfettario". I don't actually know much about this, I rely on my accountant.

P.L.F. Persio
Miranda Drew

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"AAA" means as per Wikipedia: Nov 5, 2021

Adieu wrote:

[Edited at 2021-11-05 15:36 GMT]

AAA (video game industry)
In the video-game industry, AAA (pronounced and sometimes written Triple-A) is an informal classification used to categorise games produced and distributed by a mid-sized or major publisher, which typically have higher development and marketing budgets than other tiers of games.[1]
In the mid-2010s, the term "AAA+" was used to describe AAA type games that generated additional revenue over time, in a similar fashion to massively multiplayer online games, by using games-as-a-service methods such as season passes and expansion packs. The similar construction "III" (Triple-I) has also been used to describe high-production-value games in the indie game industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

I am always suspicious of higher amounts offered and when I am asked to sign contracts in a rush...

[Edited at 2021-11-05 22:32 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Jorge Payan

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Please check the company website and call them to verify the order and Nov 6, 2021

ask for a downpayment (10-15%).

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
As the others have stated... Nov 6, 2021

...read the fine print, carefully. Remember that contracts can be interpreted in multiple ways. If necessary, hire a lawyer to dissect that for you.

If you chose to proceed, maybe it's also a good idea to keep (and backup) all email communications with them, just in case if they're up for some brawl.

expressisverbis

Itlas
Itlas
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Answers Nov 8, 2021

Elena Feriani wrote:

2) Are they hiring you as an employee or a freelancer? As a freelancer, you need a VAT number.

Are they writing from a company email address?
Yes they have it.

Does the website under the same name work and look professional?
Yes it looks so.

The person you talk to has a LinkedIn page?
Yes they have it.

Question:
They will pay me through Smartcat, is that normal?

[Modificato alle 2021-11-08 08:12 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2021-11-08 09:20 GMT]

Elena Feriani

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Company email address Nov 8, 2021

Itlas wrote:
Yes they have it.

What do you call a company address? [email protected]? Or [email protected]? The latter has a company domain. The former format is often used to scam people, making the less experienced believe it is a company address when it's a fake. You need to verify that the *domain* you answer to is the same as the domain of the company website (not just almost the same).

Itlas wrote:
Yes they have it.

It's easy to set up a fake LinkedIn page. This is not enough to verify the credibility of someone.

Itlas wrote:
Question:

No, but apparently Smartcat does have a payment facility. In which country does the company claim to be based?

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

Itlas
Itlas
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Answers to Thomas T. Nov 9, 2021

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Itlas wrote:
Yes they have it.

What do you call a company address? [email protected]? Or [email protected]? The latter has a company domain. The former format is often used to scam people, making the less experienced believe it is a company address when it's a fake. You need to verify that the *domain* you answer to is the same as the domain of the company website (not just almost the same).

Itlas wrote:
Yes they have it.

It's easy to set up a fake LinkedIn page. This is not enough to verify the credibility of someone.

Itlas wrote:
Question:

No, but apparently Smartcat does have a payment facility. In which country does the company claim to be based?

Company Email: [email protected]

The company is based in Japan.

João Roque Dias
João Roque Dias
Portugal
English to Portuguese
acmesupercorporation.com ??? Nov 9, 2021

I'd be very careful, because the domain -- acmesupercorporation.com -- DOES NOT even exist.

That is, NO whois record and NO DNS records.

It is possible that this email address is a fantasy address forwarded to another, existing, email address, which you will never know.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need help with my first time going full pro

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »