Danu  Identity Verified
Eritrea
Local time: 08:04
Member (2006)
English to Tigrinya
+ ...
Apr 12, 2013

Hello Prozians,

I envy of someone who shared her/his website last time. I personally designed my small website and I want you to give me your reviews, thoughts, words of improvements and the like.

Thanks for your time!

The freely published website is http://dtmariam.atspace.co.uk/.

Waiting for your helpful reviews!

Daniel

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 23:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Needs some work Apr 12, 2013

Hi Danu,

Overall, it looks nice and it is user-friendly. My suggestions:

1. Replace "Freelancer" in the heading with "Translation Professional" or "Professional Translator".
2. Flesh out your experience a little more if you can.
3. In "Testimonials" don't mention the names of organizations/companies unless you have specifically asked their permission.
4. Don't show your e-mail address on the web but provide a link to it (just like on proz.com).
... See more
Hi Danu,

Overall, it looks nice and it is user-friendly. My suggestions:

1. Replace "Freelancer" in the heading with "Translation Professional" or "Professional Translator".
2. Flesh out your experience a little more if you can.
3. In "Testimonials" don't mention the names of organizations/companies unless you have specifically asked their permission.
4. Don't show your e-mail address on the web but provide a link to it (just like on proz.com).
5. Check the English or have it checked by a native speaker - there are a few errors.

All in all a good start!
Collapse

János Untener
János Untener  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 07:04
Member (2010)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
ideas Apr 12, 2013

- redundancy: 3 home/about/services etc on the homepage
- dot dot dot: why would you use ... everywhere? ("Feedback notes of regular clients…")
- inexpensive: I would not use this word because you offer a service and it is worth it
- now that you have a website your might change you gmail address to a company address
- further details: giving further details (address, EU VAT number, company reg. number, phone number) assures visitors that it is a legitimate business
... See more
- redundancy: 3 home/about/services etc on the homepage
- dot dot dot: why would you use ... everywhere? ("Feedback notes of regular clients…")
- inexpensive: I would not use this word because you offer a service and it is worth it
- now that you have a website your might change you gmail address to a company address
- further details: giving further details (address, EU VAT number, company reg. number, phone number) assures visitors that it is a legitimate business
- proz/linkedin: I don't think they are necessary. The certified pro symbol does not mean anything outside proz anyway. And if you link to proz then your visitors might find another translators here on proz.
- "pls use the following link": did you really have to abbreviate "please"?
- I don't like the colours, check a colour wheel chart

[Edited at 2013-04-13 07:04 GMT]
Collapse

Danu
Danu  Identity Verified
Eritrea
Member (2006)
English to Tigrinya
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good points Apr 13, 2013

Hi Tina and Jonas,

I would like fist to thank you for your sound recommendations. I will take care of everything.
I am going to do some make-ups based on your suggestions. I believe now there is no any perfect work. Every work needs continual improvements.

Other views are also very welcomed!

Thanks,
Daniel

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Some more Apr 13, 2013

First of all, I'd try to avoid going "meta", i.e. talking about the mechanics of your website. This is something the WWW gurus from W3C have written about. You could probably combine About and Services into one page to replace Home with, although I think retaining a separate Services page is a good idea, it just may need more fleshing out (descriptions and such like; basically, more content).

I agree that you
... See more
First of all, I'd try to avoid going "meta", i.e. talking about the mechanics of your website. This is something the WWW gurus from W3C have written about. You could probably combine About and Services into one page to replace Home with, although I think retaining a separate Services page is a good idea, it just may need more fleshing out (descriptions and such like; basically, more content).

I agree that you should definitely replace the word "Freelancer" on top with something that includes "translator", where I think "freelance translator" would be the best. I dislike the term "translation professional", it should simply be "translator" or at worst "professional translator". Make the "professional" part a matter of course and not something you need to assert in your job title!

On the contact page, I'd include a phone number (land-line if you have it, definitely mobile) and perhaps some information as to the days and hours you're available. Also, "You can reach me via the following email," and, "Send your job requests and queries to," are somewhat redundant. Make it one concise sentence but add some more content.

If you've decided to make your e-mail visible and forego spam protection, which many professionals actually do, I would perhaps give it more exposure, along with your phone number. It's not a bad idea to put them in the top right corner of your website. Every single small-time lawyer does that, at least in the US market.

On the presentational side, I'd consider equipping body with a different background-color from #background. Just play with it and see what you like (some ideas). The footer could use some more legibility.

When looking for inspiration, you can find some at Websites for Translators but just googling American attorneys also works.
Collapse

Danu
Danu  Identity Verified
Eritrea
Member (2006)
English to Tigrinya
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other good points Apr 15, 2013

Thanks Lukasz very much!
Your remarks make me to see my trial website from other point of view.
I am thinking now combining about and services (as you well said) or replacing home with about.

As Tina and you mentioned about the title 'freelancer', I am going to change it either to Freelance Translator or Professional Translator.

At contact page, it is for sure necessary to put working days and hours and the like.

I did not have any idea about w3
... See more
Thanks Lukasz very much!
Your remarks make me to see my trial website from other point of view.
I am thinking now combining about and services (as you well said) or replacing home with about.

As Tina and you mentioned about the title 'freelancer', I am going to change it either to Freelance Translator or Professional Translator.

At contact page, it is for sure necessary to put working days and hours and the like.

I did not have any idea about w3schools website. I have opened it now and found it very resourceful.

Thanks again,
Daniel
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Thank you May 15, 2013

Thank you for your kind words, Daniel! I wish you plenty of success with your website and a lot of fun tinkering with it. As for the title, I'd go for "Freelance Translator". I think it testifies to something wrong when we need specifically to state that we're professionals. It's like getting defensive about our standards and quality of work from the get-go. Of course, you can weave 'professional translator' in the first sentence o... See more
Thank you for your kind words, Daniel! I wish you plenty of success with your website and a lot of fun tinkering with it. As for the title, I'd go for "Freelance Translator". I think it testifies to something wrong when we need specifically to state that we're professionals. It's like getting defensive about our standards and quality of work from the get-go. Of course, you can weave 'professional translator' in the first sentence of a page.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Check my website

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »