Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11]
Blast your CV to 16000 Agencies? Has anyone tried it?
Thread poster: Silvia M.
Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:47
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

I keep wondering why.... Jun 7, 2013

Karel Kosman wrote:

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, certainly appreciated.
For CVs, it is your option. I encourage at least a cover/personal email in the message, and then you can attach or not attach any number of files, although I restrict the sizes of CVs, as I know people don't like massive attachments slowing down their mail (a lot of times it is because of a small picture of themselves that can be easily resized, which I'll do for them). I agree that many agencies will ignore a CV, because they'll just send you an autoresponse with weblink to fill in their online application form feeding right into their database, or an attached Excel or Word file which indirectly does the same, but there seems to be a lot of small agencies who don't have a database set up and merely save your email with attachment into a folder and may get back to you years later with a job offer, and I think an attached CV with more detailed information looks more professional in their eyes. With the internet, small and large agencies alike can accept work and farm out to others, so I believe the best option is to write a shorter and concise cover letter, get immediately to the point (visible also in the subject), since everyone's so busy these days, and then attach a nice looking Word or PDF file for more detailed info and to make it look more professional.

First of all I just want to say that I have also been following this conversation for a few days, and all of the information shared/discussed are definitely helpful. One question lingers however, that being why we keep referring to our "portfolio of services" (or Vcard or Tcard as another thread has suggested) as CV?

We are not employed by an agency, rather, we are acting as service providers. To be frank, it irks me whenever I get an agency request in which I am being asked to send my "cover letter"...no sir, perhaps you are referring to my "sales pitch" or "overview of services" instead?

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:47
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
So true. Jun 7, 2013

Rita Pang wrote:
We are not employed by an agency, rather, we are acting as service providers. To be frank, it irks me whenever I get an agency request in which I am being asked to send my "cover letter"...no sir, perhaps you are referring to my "sales pitch" or "overview of services" instead?

Recently I was contacted by an agency in Germany. They asked for an estimate. Everything was fine so far, until I received another email, apparently from their accounting department. "We are currently processing your application," they said, "please provide your CV so we can add your information to our translator pool." You are processing my WHAT? I never applied for anything, I simply replied to an inquiry. Needless to say that this prospective customer turned out to be not suitable for future collaboration. I am not sure if sending out 16,000 "applications" with "CVs" per translator furthers the proper perception of what we do in our industry.

Karel Kosman
Karel Kosman  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:47
Czech to English
+ ...
cover letter and attachment Jun 8, 2013

well, I call the cover letter as the body of the email. I'd say it's rude to send an attached CV or whatever without some introductory letter. Concerning the attachment, as the sender would choose the wording of their email they can call the attachment whatever they want. Personally, most agencies seem to use the word CV quite loosely. Perhaps it's a technically incorrect term but, on the other hand, an agency gets used to speaking in simple, broadly known terms because they are dealing with man... See more
well, I call the cover letter as the body of the email. I'd say it's rude to send an attached CV or whatever without some introductory letter. Concerning the attachment, as the sender would choose the wording of their email they can call the attachment whatever they want. Personally, most agencies seem to use the word CV quite loosely. Perhaps it's a technically incorrect term but, on the other hand, an agency gets used to speaking in simple, broadly known terms because they are dealing with many translators whose mother tongue is not English.Collapse

Jane Proctor (X)
Jane Proctor (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to English
@ Karel Jun 8, 2013

How much resistance is there, as far as you know, to opening up the attachments? I never send my résumé out as an attachment unless the recipient knows me..

Karel Kosman
Karel Kosman  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
attachments Jun 8, 2013

The Reply To email address is the translator's, sometimes they forward the recipient comments to me. I expect that most get an automated response asking them to fill in some application form, while many who respond further down the road save the email and respond directly to that with work. I would imagine they might save the emails in a folder named according to their language combination and the agency would go through several such emails, studying the attachments and credentials before decidi... See more
The Reply To email address is the translator's, sometimes they forward the recipient comments to me. I expect that most get an automated response asking them to fill in some application form, while many who respond further down the road save the email and respond directly to that with work. I would imagine they might save the emails in a folder named according to their language combination and the agency would go through several such emails, studying the attachments and credentials before deciding who to approach. It seems there are many small operations out there who do not have a database set up and operate in this manner.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blast your CV to 16000 Agencies? Has anyone tried it?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »