Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >
Blast your CV to 16000 Agencies? Has anyone tried it?
Thread poster: Silvia M.
Karel Kosman
Karel Kosman  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:07
Czech to English
+ ...
sympathy May 29, 2013

well, I didn't feel I was spamming because I sent so little out. I myself have spent a lot of time trying to figure out all these emails, and deal with the backlash it has caused me. But expression of sympathy, whether warranted or not, is a good quelling agent and will also hopefully quell the anger against me because of all the spamming that has started in this industry. I understand that I would be immediately associated with this and just trying to prove that I am not providing some evil ser... See more
well, I didn't feel I was spamming because I sent so little out. I myself have spent a lot of time trying to figure out all these emails, and deal with the backlash it has caused me. But expression of sympathy, whether warranted or not, is a good quelling agent and will also hopefully quell the anger against me because of all the spamming that has started in this industry. I understand that I would be immediately associated with this and just trying to prove that I am not providing some evil service.Collapse

Karel Kosman
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
custom sending May 29, 2013

oh yes, and in response to an early comment on this thread, yes, your existing customers can be removed from the list, or any other criteria (.cn domain etc.), but that requires additional work and must be charged for.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
María Belén Iannitto
María Belén Iannitto
Argentina
Local time: 01:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do not pay attention to this spam May 29, 2013

Generally this type of advertising are spam. Nobody is gonna read this kind of emails (spam) and nobody does this job (enter/post a CV in an agency or employment ) better than yourself.

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Keep it on the track, please May 29, 2013

Dear colleagues,

Over the past two days, we have noticed there have been a hot argument on this thread. Basically, it is good to be an active part of it with a sense of tolerance for others. As we're here for a friendly and awarding communication, it might be a better idea to keep cool when expressing our opinions on any exciting comments given by peers.

So, please take it easy when arguing with others so as to let our discussion go back on the track. After all, a more
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Over the past two days, we have noticed there have been a hot argument on this thread. Basically, it is good to be an active part of it with a sense of tolerance for others. As we're here for a friendly and awarding communication, it might be a better idea to keep cool when expressing our opinions on any exciting comments given by peers.

So, please take it easy when arguing with others so as to let our discussion go back on the track. After all, a more friendly environment is beneficial to us all.

Your understanding and support are much appreciated!

James Xia
Collapse

Silvia M.
Silvia M.  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Most agencies use automated systems anyway May 29, 2013

As far as I am aware, most agencies which are still looking for translators invite translators to fill in a questionnaire on their website.
Everything is automated nowadays, thanks to computers.

Sometimes you are even asked to do a test translation as part of the process without having to ever interact with anyone.

This is how I started out as a translator, just in case anyone wonders.
Sometimes I send applications to agencies I like but often I only get
... See more
As far as I am aware, most agencies which are still looking for translators invite translators to fill in a questionnaire on their website.
Everything is automated nowadays, thanks to computers.

Sometimes you are even asked to do a test translation as part of the process without having to ever interact with anyone.

This is how I started out as a translator, just in case anyone wonders.
Sometimes I send applications to agencies I like but often I only get an automated response asking me fill in some form, which is often a very time-consuming envedevour

Hence if I were to have 16000 emails sent in one go imagine the craziness in my e-mail box that would occur.

I don't think I would be able to function anymore, ha ha ha

[Edited at 2013-05-29 22:36 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Defeating the purpose May 29, 2013

Silvia M. wrote:
Hence if if I were to have 16000 emails sent in one go imagine the craziness in my e-mail box that would occur.

Let's imagine you send the infamous 16,000 emails and 300 agencies come back to you. If you finally only managed to work for 50 of them on a regular basis, you would be rejecting work all the time from a majority of them, which would finally make them wonder why you got in touch in the first place: are you really in a position to work for them regularly or not?

This is just out of my imagination of course, but to me it is already hard work to keep my approx. 20 regular agency customers happy with an in-house team of five people.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:07
Hebrew to English
Without wanting to get embroiled or zapped.... May 29, 2013

6 pages of discussion, yet I think this whole thing can be summed up in the meaning and connotations of one word, the very first word, "blast":

blast
/blast/ verb
To have a harmful or destructive effect on
noun
A destructive or damaging influence

Synonyms: blast, blight, dash, nip, wreck
These verbs mean to have a pernicious, destructive, or ruinous effect on something.

Need I say more?

Karel Kosman
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
automated systems May 29, 2013

I myself have developed an automated system because of the sheer amount of time my manual system took in the beginning - receive telephone call, read out questions from paper, scribble out answers onto paper, later transfer scribbles to database in computer. If I get ten applications a day now it costs me almost no time to recognize by the subject that they are apps and respond to each with a simple shortcut key to generate an autoemail with "Dear " based on the email identity, if I wanted I cou... See more
I myself have developed an automated system because of the sheer amount of time my manual system took in the beginning - receive telephone call, read out questions from paper, scribble out answers onto paper, later transfer scribbles to database in computer. If I get ten applications a day now it costs me almost no time to recognize by the subject that they are apps and respond to each with a simple shortcut key to generate an autoemail with "Dear " based on the email identity, if I wanted I could include an attachment, and other programmables. I am sure the big agencies do the same, as streamlining is essential to be competitive. When I last used the service a few years ago my inbox quickly filled up with similar auto responses asking me to either fill out an online application form (for which the link was provided) or an attached Word, Excel or other file was provided.
I moved all those to a folder, dealt with the easiest ones first (attached files), but soon was too busy with work to continue. Other job offers had come in over the years in response to that letter by smaller agencies who did not have such an automated system and just saved my email somewhere. The time you would spend visiting agency websites and either contacting them or hunting around for their application form or link is one of the main benefits of my service. And if you spend all that time hunting down the links or contact with an email yourself, you probably still wouldn't know who to address, so such an approach would be no different than my service except you would be spending much more time on it.
A few years went by and I finally hired someone to fill in the rest of the applications, because it seemed a shame to waste and I wanted to expand my customer base and increase my price. That strategy worked well. There is NO WAY these agencies will remember or keep track of whether you instantly filled in their application form, or penalise you if you are too busy to accept work or answer their emails. It is standard for larger agencies to regularly approach many translators when trying to farm out work. I still get approached but only accept work from the higher paying ones, storing emails from the lower paying ones in case I need to lower my price in the future and rejuvinate communication with them (explain I am available again). The larger ones will certainly receive more applications a day than I do, as I am not a large agency. Some translators pay extra to send out the emails in smaller allotments, but I do not feel that is necessary at all. An established agency will never change it's email address or domain name.
Concerning a previous comment I noticed it is from someone who only recently set up a proz account. Another person making accusations from the hip without really knowing the reality of the situation.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:07
Hebrew to English
So our opinions aren't valid? May 29, 2013

Karel Kosman wrote:
Concerning a previous comment I noticed it is from someone who only recently set up a proz account. Another person making accusations from the hip without really knowing the reality of the situation.

Just joining the site and just joining the discussion doesn't invalidate our opinions.

Karel Kosman
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
opinions May 29, 2013

I was not trying to invalidate everyone's opinion but Maria said:

Nobody is gonna read this kind of emails (spam)

and this is simply not true. From my own experience and all those who have left testimonials.

Koven
Koven  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 13:07
Completely satisfied with what this service offered me May 29, 2013

I am writing as a customer who actually used this service a few months ago to start a career as a translator. I did not really know how to start so I was interested to see this blast offer on the internet: it seemed to me as a convenient way to send my resume to many companies and dive into the world of work. I would like to specify that I have never paid for any service on the internet before. Although I was a bit afraid of wasting my money at first, I still wanted to try as it could change my ... See more
I am writing as a customer who actually used this service a few months ago to start a career as a translator. I did not really know how to start so I was interested to see this blast offer on the internet: it seemed to me as a convenient way to send my resume to many companies and dive into the world of work. I would like to specify that I have never paid for any service on the internet before. Although I was a bit afraid of wasting my money at first, I still wanted to try as it could change my life. I left my native country and cannot speak well the language of the country I currently live in (South Korea) so finding a job on the internet through this offer had a big importance to me.

So, was it effective? My answer would be "yes" without any hesitation.
Even though I had very little experience in translation, many companies seemed to be interested in me and replied to me, most of the time inviting me to fill in their application form on their website. 99% of companies that replied to me (almost two hundred I would say) did it with kindness and were interested in adding a new translator to their database. I only received 2 mails of people complaining about receiving undesired mails.
I received many projects from various companies (sometimes directly without having to fill in anything) and even could work regularly for a few of them. I always got paid for every work I did and had no problem on this aspect. Translating is now my profession and it would have not been possible without this blast service. So, I would recommend it as it has been effective for me even though I was almost a beginner in the field of translation.

To the people who criticize this service, they should know that companies can choose not to receive these kind of emails if they desire so. I do not see what the difference is with sending dozens of one's resume to different companies in real life. This service just allows you to do the same to a larger scale and thus in a more effective way.
Collapse

Mihail Kulov
Mihail Kulov
Bulgaria
Local time: 07:07
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
It's not a scam May 29, 2013

Good evening everyone,
I read too many negative posts regarding Mr. Kosman and his Blast service. Ok, I’m a client of his and I would like to prove that this is not a scam.
Therefore I’m posting 4 screenshots of my inbox from the first few days after Mr. Kosman blasted out my CV and resume. Please pay attention to the dates and the letter numbers in the upper right corner.
This is a kind of personal information, but I owe this to Mr. Kosman for the huge help and support he
... See more
Good evening everyone,
I read too many negative posts regarding Mr. Kosman and his Blast service. Ok, I’m a client of his and I would like to prove that this is not a scam.
Therefore I’m posting 4 screenshots of my inbox from the first few days after Mr. Kosman blasted out my CV and resume. Please pay attention to the dates and the letter numbers in the upper right corner.
This is a kind of personal information, but I owe this to Mr. Kosman for the huge help and support he provided me throughout my entire career of a freelancer.
http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/1831/54023929618852800431369861914IsUlT4V5DCmA0pEoB4sh.BMP
http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/1883/8657822201571475381369861920fiau52vjS0PswR3LQ0tk.BMP
http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2710/21408609645094352441369861927FmcHVXrilfqF0fhccglQ.BMP
http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2455/4904043539155209913698619335IMAsHoduqZLL7LSdtFd.BMP
Kind regards,
Mihail

[Edited at 2013-05-29 22:16 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The meaning of "blast" May 29, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:
blast
noun
A destructive or damaging influence

Need I say more?

I suggest you get yourself a better dictionary, Mr Native Speaker (-:.

Mine says:

Noun: blast
1. A strong current of air
2. A sudden, very loud noise
3. An explosion
4. A highly pleasurable or exciting experience
5. Intense adverse criticism

Verb: blast
1. Make a strident sound
2. Hit hard
3. Use explosives on
4. Blow a strong draft or wind
5. Create by using explosives
6. Make with or as if with an explosion
7. Fire a shot
8. Criticise harshly or violently
9. Shatter as if by explosion
10. Shrivel, wither or mature imperfectly

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blast your CV to 16000 Agencies? Has anyone tried it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »