话题中的页数:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >
Blast your CV to 16000 Agencies? Has anyone tried it?
论题张贴者: Silvia M.
Silvia M.
Silvia M.  Identity Verified
德国
Local time: 15:01
正式会员 (自2011)
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
May 16, 2013

Hello I have recently come across the following website

http://001yourtranslationservice.com/translations/translation-agencies.html?utm_expid=39983523-0&utm_referrer=https://www.google.co.uk/

You have to pay 99 USD for the organisers to send your CV and cover letter to 16000 t
... See more
Hello I have recently come across the following website

http://001yourtranslationservice.com/translations/translation-agencies.html?utm_expid=39983523-0&utm_referrer=https://www.google.co.uk/

You have to pay 99 USD for the organisers to send your CV and cover letter to 16000 translation agencies at once.

Has anyone tried it before? If yes, what was your experience with it?

I am looking forward to your comments.

Silvia
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
西班牙
Local time: 14:01
正式会员 (自2007)
English英语
+ ...
Please do yourself a favour, Silvia May 16, 2013

Please ignore it! Most of those 16000 agencies, if they ever existed, will be long gone. And how will the remaining ones view this spamming? A professional service provider, whatever the service, just doesn't do this.

A. You don't need to pay anyone to do anything you can do better yourself;
B. You need to target real potential clients, agencies and direct clients alike, with a well-written, personalised approach.

Although you might well get some job offers from
... See more
Please ignore it! Most of those 16000 agencies, if they ever existed, will be long gone. And how will the remaining ones view this spamming? A professional service provider, whatever the service, just doesn't do this.

A. You don't need to pay anyone to do anything you can do better yourself;
B. You need to target real potential clients, agencies and direct clients alike, with a well-written, personalised approach.

Although you might well get some job offers from these 16,000 agencies, I pretty much guarantee none will be willing to pay more than about 0.05€ (even less in USD) per word. You need them as clients as much as you need a chocolate teapot.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
以色列
Local time: 16:01
English英语译成Hebrew希伯来语
+ ...
Agree with Sheila May 16, 2013

It is most probably a complete waste of time and money.
In my opinion it is also a very bad idea to spread your CV (more about that in a moment) as a file all over the place from a security stand point, especially in light of the recent increase in identity theft and other fraudulent activity in the marketplace.

Furthermore, I think that an independent translator should not use the term CV/Resume. We are not employees nor seeking employment, we are business owners.
I hav
... See more
It is most probably a complete waste of time and money.
In my opinion it is also a very bad idea to spread your CV (more about that in a moment) as a file all over the place from a security stand point, especially in light of the recent increase in identity theft and other fraudulent activity in the marketplace.

Furthermore, I think that an independent translator should not use the term CV/Resume. We are not employees nor seeking employment, we are business owners.
I have created a discussion about this very topic on LinkedIn CV alternatives: Let's define a more appropriate term and content, you and everyone else are welcome to monitor it and/or participate.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 06:01
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
纪念
Oh, terrific. May 16, 2013

Are those the ones who have been spamming my mailbox for more than a year? I have received hundreds of idiotic applications. Idiotic, because they don't care about language pairs, they make up Hotmail email addresses for any translator, if the name is taken, they simply misspell the translator's name (who cares, it's only a name...), they modify your CV and replace your contact data and don't even care if a different font is used. If they don't have a cover letter, they will simply reuse the cov... See more
Are those the ones who have been spamming my mailbox for more than a year? I have received hundreds of idiotic applications. Idiotic, because they don't care about language pairs, they make up Hotmail email addresses for any translator, if the name is taken, they simply misspell the translator's name (who cares, it's only a name...), they modify your CV and replace your contact data and don't even care if a different font is used. If they don't have a cover letter, they will simply reuse the cover letter from a different translator and simply replace name and language pair. They will send cover letters claiming that the recipient has advertised a job or a position, which makes any recipient cringe with fear of identity theft.

Sometimes I contact one of those translators - whenever the name looks familiar to me from ProZ.com, that is. I will then contact the colleagues through their profile page, not via the phony hotmail address. "Did you just send me an application?," I will ask, "No, I didn't" is the reply.

Please stay clear of this scheme.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 07:01
正式会员 (自2003)
English英语译成Italian意大利语
+ ...
Just in case we are one of those 16,000 agencies... May 16, 2013

Silvia M. wrote:

You have to pay 99 USD for the organisers to send your CV and cover letter to 16000 translation agencies at once.

Has anyone tried it before? If yes, what was your experience with it?

I am looking forward to your comments.

Silvia

Hi Silvia,

Just in case we are one of those 16,000 agencies (and we probably are, judging from my inbox), please see below the answer you'd get when your cover letter (inevitably addressed to "Dear Sir or Madam") arrives:

Dear Sir/Madam,

If you are a translator and are sending out your message to your prospects, hoping to get more work or new customers, please note that sending out a message without specifying to whom it is addressed ensures that your message is treated as spam.

Due to the recent increase in messages addressed to “Dear Sir/Madam”, “Dear Sir/Mad”, “To whom it may concern”, and the like, we have now implemented an automatic rule in our e-mail client: such messages are now deleted automatically, and this courtesy answer message is sent as an answer.

Best regards,

Sorry, but bulk mail (=spam) only deserve a bulk mail response.

[Edited at 2013-05-16 23:50 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
德国
正式会员 (自2009)
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
Mass emails May 17, 2013

[quote]Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

If you are a translator and are sending out your message to your prospects, hoping to get more work or new customers, please note that sending out a message without specifying to whom it is addressed ensures that your message is treated as spam.

Due to the recent increase in messages addressed to “Dear Sir/Madam”, “Dear Sir/Mad”, “To whom it may concern”, and the like, we have now implemented an automatic rule in our e-mail client: such messages are now deleted automatically, and this courtesy answer message is sent as an answer.

Best regards,

Sorry, but bulk mail (=spam) only deserve a bulk mail response.

And I do the same with any job emails addressed to "Dear Translator". Like those I've
received this morning. Especially when a vendor's contract is attached and they must
have my tax ID and my CV in order to consider sending me any jobs.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 07:01
正式会员 (自2003)
English英语译成Italian意大利语
+ ...
And right you are May 17, 2013

Thayenga wrote:

And I do the same with any job emails addressed to "Dear Translator". Like those I've
received this morning. Especially when a vendor's contract is attached and they must
have my tax ID and my CV in order to consider sending me any jobs.

Spam is spam, no matter which direction it flows

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
西班牙
正式会员 (自2005)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Blast yout CV to 16,000 law offices and courts!!! May 17, 2013

If You Can Read an Agreement, Can Speak and Know How to Use a Pen, You Can Easily Make Extra Money Working Just a Few Hours a Week!

We will BLAST Your CV and Cover Letter to more than 16,000 email addresses of Law Firms and Companies who want to HIRE YOU!

With CV Blast you can get in contact with Law Firms and Courts that want to PAY YOU To Defend simple cases!

Ridiculous, right? Then why shoul
... See more
If You Can Read an Agreement, Can Speak and Know How to Use a Pen, You Can Easily Make Extra Money Working Just a Few Hours a Week!

We will BLAST Your CV and Cover Letter to more than 16,000 email addresses of Law Firms and Companies who want to HIRE YOU!

With CV Blast you can get in contact with Law Firms and Courts that want to PAY YOU To Defend simple cases!

Ridiculous, right? Then why should it be any different for a translator?

Let me tell you this: I NEVER, EVER read emails from translators offering their services and CV. I delete them from the email server unread. When I need some new language combination, I look for appropriate candidates online. I am pretty sure this is what any other team, agency, or company does nowadays.

You may ask yourself why I do so: precisely this kind of service has flooded email with unsuitable candidates and has taught the whole industry to disregard translator candidacy emails. And yet, the provider of this service and others like them keep doing it! I am pretty sure they cause losses in the industry a thousand times bigger than the money they get from the naïve people who believe their advertising.

(Edited for an obvious typo.)

[Edited at 2013-05-17 06:26 GMT]
Collapse

Tony Bennjamin
Tony Bennjamin  Identity Verified
印度尼西亚
Local time: 20:01
正式会员 (自2013)
Indonesian印度尼西亚语译成English英语
+ ...
- May 17, 2013

Wow I'd no idea all of you had received the same mail.

I never believe in that offer. Since it does sound ridiculous. Most of agents want us to take the test before they can accept us.

西班牙
正式会员 (自2005)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Reporting spam May 17, 2013

May I remind translators or agencies who are spammed by this or similar "services" that they can report these spams to the Federal Trade Commission: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

You can place a report in their website, or simply forward the spam email to [email protected] so that the source of the spam can be researched and they can
... See more
May I remind translators or agencies who are spammed by this or similar "services" that they can report these spams to the Federal Trade Commission: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

You can place a report in their website, or simply forward the spam email to [email protected] so that the source of the spam can be researched and they can be blocked adequately.

Maybe these spammers are not stopped immediately, but at least we will be doing something about this and eventually have the source of the spam blocked.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
荷兰
正式会员 (自2006)
English英语译成Afrikaans南非语
+ ...
Instead of asking us... May 17, 2013

Silvia M. wrote:
You have to pay 99 USD for the organisers to send your CV and cover letter to 16000 translation agencies at once. ... Has anyone tried it before? If yes, what was your experience with it?

The types of responses you'll get in this forum are the ones that you already received -- mostly negative, mostly speculative, and mostly from people who haven't actually used the service.

At the bottom of that page is a sample of 42 of the agencies in the list. Have you visited all 42 web sites to see if they really are translation agencies? By my count, at least 25 of them are actual translation agencies (more perhaps, but I did not do a thorough check of the ones that I weren't sure of).

The page you mention contain references from satisfied customers. I checked out several of them to see if they are real, and yes, they are real translators. You can find their contact details and write to them to ask what they really think of the service.

The seller of this list is actually a translation agency itself, with a profile on ProZ.com, and a Blue Board entry. The information that they gave on that page of yours (in which they make certain claims about their Blue Board record) corresponds to the information that I see about them in the Blue Board, so that's another thing that checks out positively.

You should also ask yourself what kind of response you'd be happy with to consider having "broken even" with your USD 99 investment.

Finally, you are located in the UK, and the list owner is located in the Czech Republic. Both those countries have some pretty mean spam laws. Find out (perhaps in another forum) whether it would be legal for you to authorise them to send so much spam.

Samuel

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
荷兰
正式会员 (自2006)
English英语译成Afrikaans南非语
+ ...
Only for Americans, Tomás May 17, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

That site is headlined "Protecting America's consumers".

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
法国
French法语译成English英语
One point May 17, 2013

Call me an old trad, but I find it a great pity that the courtesy formula "Dear Sir/Madam" is now regarded as an automatic sign than the following email is of no interest and merits no more than the spam box. On the contrary, I would consider an email beginning in this way as at least evidence of a certain education.

Having recently looked at over 60 agency websites in the UK and elsewhere, I can vouch for the fact than only about three of them listed a contact person whom one could
... See more
Call me an old trad, but I find it a great pity that the courtesy formula "Dear Sir/Madam" is now regarded as an automatic sign than the following email is of no interest and merits no more than the spam box. On the contrary, I would consider an email beginning in this way as at least evidence of a certain education.

Having recently looked at over 60 agency websites in the UK and elsewhere, I can vouch for the fact than only about three of them listed a contact person whom one could address by name. Many have an online form to fill in, and some have a dedicated email address for freelancer applications. But almost none seem to expect the first contact to be sent to a specific person. This makes perfect sense to me as people change jobs/ are away/ ill etc. fairly often, making it hard to keep websites up-to-date.
Collapse

西班牙
正式会员 (自2005)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
We have lost it May 17, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
You should also ask yourself what kind of response you'd be happy with to consider having "broken even" with your USD 99 investment.

So it is OK to spam 16,000 people and cause time losses of 22 hours (16,000 people x 5 seconds) in the industry if you get a personal revenue of over US$ 99?

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
正式会员 (自2003)
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Indeed! May 17, 2013

David Hayes wrote:

Having recently looked at over 60 agency websites in the UK and elsewhere, I can vouch for the fact than only about three of them listed a contact person whom one could address by name. Many have an online form to fill in, and some have a dedicated email address for freelancer applications. But almost none seem to expect the first contact to be sent to a specific person. This makes perfect sense to me as people change jobs/ are away/ ill etc. fairly often, making it hard to keep websites up-to-date.

I couldn't agree more!

话题中的页数:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blast your CV to 16000 Agencies? Has anyone tried it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »