564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 04:59
Danish to English
+ ...
Very useful info, thanks Sep 2, 2013

Hi Flora

Thanks for taking the time to outline how to get started with WordPress - I find this extremely helpful.

I have been clicking around at random websites by people here on Proz.com and am surprised at the variety of presentations. I guess as translators we get so used to jumping between loads and loads of different websites as we do our translation research, so we get to see lots of different styles and formats, and this is probably why I am a little surprised at
... See more
Hi Flora

Thanks for taking the time to outline how to get started with WordPress - I find this extremely helpful.

I have been clicking around at random websites by people here on Proz.com and am surprised at the variety of presentations. I guess as translators we get so used to jumping between loads and loads of different websites as we do our translation research, so we get to see lots of different styles and formats, and this is probably why I am a little surprised at how simple a lot of people's websites look - amateurish is the word that springs to mind, and I don't say this to be unkind. That is my exact fear - that anything I would be able to produce on my own would end up looking like I didn't care about the image I present of myself and my business. The attitude of 'as long as the relevant information is there, nothing else matters' is just so out of touch with our digital age, I think. So, my own website may have looked sort of alright when it was first published two years ago, but it doesn't anymore. The times they are a-changing...

I guess it depends on how each of us chooses to use our websites. I consider my website an online business card that I refer to in my stationery, in my email signature, in my printed presentation material and on my actual business cards and anywhere else I get the chance to do so. It may be that any potential client only ever goes there once, but then I want to be sure that what they see is not off-putting. "You only get one chance to make a first impression" as the saying goes.

Thanks again, I have definitely gleaned some inspiration from you.

Cheers

Gitte
Collapse

Valérie Lopez
Valérie Lopez
Switzerland
Local time: 04:59
English to French
+ ...
Did I get it wrong? Feb 15, 2014

You are all speaking about downloading wordpress templates - I did suscribe to wordpress for the full solution through the semi pro solution - so bought the domain, they host it and creating my website through them.

Is this something you wouldn't advice doing?

I must say it does take some time to get around to customise the templates too... I think I'll get some wordpress training on the website directly and will definitely buy a book if needed...

Thanks f
... See more
You are all speaking about downloading wordpress templates - I did suscribe to wordpress for the full solution through the semi pro solution - so bought the domain, they host it and creating my website through them.

Is this something you wouldn't advice doing?

I must say it does take some time to get around to customise the templates too... I think I'll get some wordpress training on the website directly and will definitely buy a book if needed...

Thanks for your advice,

V
Collapse

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:59
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi Valerie Feb 16, 2014

I am not sure what you mean by the semi pro solution.

As far as I know there are only two options with WordPress:

1. Wordpress.com - the website is free and WordPress hosts it for you. You will have a url like www.yoursite.wordpress.com, but you can get rid of the "wordpress.com" by paying for an upgrade.

2. Wordpress.org - you buy your own hosting but you use Wo
... See more
I am not sure what you mean by the semi pro solution.

As far as I know there are only two options with WordPress:

1. Wordpress.com - the website is free and WordPress hosts it for you. You will have a url like www.yoursite.wordpress.com, but you can get rid of the "wordpress.com" by paying for an upgrade.

2. Wordpress.org - you buy your own hosting but you use Wordpress to create it and you can use any of the free templates or buy your own. You will have your own domain name and be in charge of all the hosting for it.

I recommend the second option as it gives you a lot more control over your own website.

Hope this helps,

Sarah
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another website feedback

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »