Olav Balslev
Olav Balslev  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:58
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 14, 2021

Does anyone in here have recommendations for a freelancer or company experienced in developing web sites for translators?

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Websites for translators Aug 14, 2021

I have not used their services, but this is one company I am aware of:

https://websitesfortranslators.co.uk/webdesign/

Susan Murphy Lamprecht
Susan Murphy Lamprecht
Denmark
Member (2016)
English to Danish
Recommendation of Danish company Aug 14, 2021

I can highly recommend the Danish company "Institut for Kundetyper" and their "concept" of emotional customer types. You can read more about them here: https://www.kundetyper.dk/ (only in Danish).
At the moment they only address Danish companies, but they are planning on translating their "concept" into English too.

[Edited at 2021-08-14 14:54 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Websites are nice, but... Aug 24, 2021

Do you have a decent plan for generating traffic to it or a sufficient budget to pay someone to promote it properly?

These things only work if they get seen by your target audience. Which isn't very easy, since most people have no need of our services.

[Edited at 2021-08-24 05:47 GMT]

Baran Keki
Jorge Payan

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Aug 24, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Do you have a decent plan for generating traffic to it or a sufficient budget to pay someone to promote it properly?

These things only work if they get seen by your target audience. Which isn't very easy, since most people have no need of our services.

[Edited at 2021-08-24 05:47 GMT]

I don't have one, but if I did, I'd see it merely as a virtual business card. I'd put the address in my signature for anyone who might want more info about me, and I wouldn't expect anything much to come of it.
In the meantime my profile here and on LinkedIn seem to work pretty well as virtual business cards.

Kevin Fulton

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:58
English to Turkish
Agreed Aug 24, 2021

Adieu wrote:

You have to write stupid blog articles with strategically placed keywords every bloody 3 days or so and you have to 'share' them on LinkedIn, Facebook and here (there was a couple of guys like that here not so long ago) to get your website ranked on the first page of Google... A tall order...

Adieu

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:58
German to English
I've had websites Aug 24, 2021

Shortly before the turn of this century at the urging of a very successful translator, I developed my own websites. The first one was satirical just to see how it was done and to test the waters to see what sort of response I'd receive. Then I created a genuine static site, with keywords based on search engine optimization, and mirrored the content under various domains with different keywords geared to various markets. I viewed it as another way to establish my bona fides. Over the years the si... See more
Shortly before the turn of this century at the urging of a very successful translator, I developed my own websites. The first one was satirical just to see how it was done and to test the waters to see what sort of response I'd receive. Then I created a genuine static site, with keywords based on search engine optimization, and mirrored the content under various domains with different keywords geared to various markets. I viewed it as another way to establish my bona fides. Over the years the site paid for itself, generating several well-paid interesting jobs. But to be honest, most of the inquiries were along the lines of "I'd like to have my father's (or grandfather's/grandmother's) diary of the war years translated and published. It tells an interesting life story, and I'm sure we could make a lot of money ...".

I don't regret the time and money I spent developing and maintaining the site, but it wasn't a gold mine. A few years ago I stopped updating the pages and recently let my various domains expire in anticipation of retirement. One young translator was actually interested in acquiring the "Fulton Translations" domain.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »