Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
How \"independent\" are you?
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Free at last! Apr 16, 2002

First free day in ages. That\'s why I can\'t understand this problem regarding one of my main language pairs:

\"Over the last few weeks, I have been inundated with e-mails from other ProZ members as well as \"translators-to-be\", and they all asked me about the future of our profession - in particular with regards to the Spanish/English language pair. Apparently, many of them are quite despondent: those that are about to enter
... See more
First free day in ages. That\'s why I can\'t understand this problem regarding one of my main language pairs:

\"Over the last few weeks, I have been inundated with e-mails from other ProZ members as well as \"translators-to-be\", and they all asked me about the future of our profession - in particular with regards to the Spanish/English language pair. Apparently, many of them are quite despondent: those that are about to enter the profession have second thoughts about becoming translators, and even some established colleagues have voiced their concerns (one colleague was even wondering whether it was still possible to make a decent living as a full-time translator without falling back on odd jobs here and there).\"

Two majority languages in which the average native speaker has the flawed mentality of assuming that everyone else should understand him by sheer force of numbers, without his trying to learn another language, can\'t go out of business!

I also share Alison\'s problem, but I\'ve worked out Delelis\'s solution on my own (how else can one have a family life to speak of!)

There are many other things clients need education on in this language pair: the importance of quality, the criteria by which to select translators, etc., for their own good. Say that I see things through rose-coloured glasses, but clients need guidance, referral services, all that advice on how to get the right people and how to meet up with their own deadlines (\"I want it done yesterday\" is a running gag in this combination). I feel it is our duty to step in and help them out, as professionals, or we\'ll all be adversely affected, too.

One of the bigger problems I think the Sp/En combination has to address is competence and the perception that \"if I refuse saying I am not competent, I will lose this client\" - the subjective perception of scarcity where there may actually be none. I may not be an authority on car parts, but I DO know someone who is, thanks to proZ, whereas that same someone can\'t distinguish the proper terms to use in a museum catalogue, where I\'m an expert. What\'s wrong with networking, even if only in a limited sense? There is a long (and documented) history of professional rivalries in this combination, but that doesn\'t mean we have to get carried away by the same self-destructive behavior if we don\'t believe in its principle.

At no other time do I realize how sharply my views differ from those of other translators - or non-translators - as when I say, \"I\'m a full-time free-lance translator\". And eyes open wide: you PAY YOUR OWN TAXES? And SOCIAL SECURITY? (A far cry from the dream of being a self-important, stably-employed, government-backed Civil Servant). Yes, I do, and I love every minute. My working day doesn\'t have to be as stressing: although I sometimes work 12 hours a day, I also do four-hour work days and make more than enough to survive. I say \"no\" when I can\'t handle it, I\'ve been respected in my decisions and I haven\'t lost jobs - in fact, there are clients who have used my calculations as realistic bases for projecting their calendars. I\'m not patting myself on the back, I\'m just saying that being sincere and advising the client as well as you can goes a long way. The glass is only half-empty or half-full depending on how you see it.
Collapse

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
Net Jun 4, 2002

Sorry for my insanely late reply Derek. Just got a son and my schedule has changed drastically

It\'s net and no, they\'re not scale models

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How \"independent\" are you?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »