Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
E-mail removed from all \"Close bidding\" pages (Part 2)
Thread poster: bochkor
bochkor
bochkor
Local time: 11:41
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Henry, but e-mail would still be a minimum! Mar 3, 2002

I have just read Henry\'s reply in the other forum topic \"Suggestions for ProZ.com\", according to which he agrees with the following:

\"Transparency of Posters (company name at least or name of individual)

Agreed. We will have something soon.\"

I really welcome this reaction, but e-mail would still be a minimum. I hope you\'ll think about it and agree. Let us know!

Thanks!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
my opinion Mar 3, 2002

No, László, I did not write the emails. Rick Henry quite correctly pointed out that all profile mail must originate at the ProZ.com server (that is the [email protected] part), since that is where you are when you send email from a profile page. What we removed was the possibility of entering @proz.com as a reply-to address. That is why the fraudulent poster used the address \"priz.com\". Make sense?

As for what we know about t
... See more
No, László, I did not write the emails. Rick Henry quite correctly pointed out that all profile mail must originate at the ProZ.com server (that is the [email protected] part), since that is where you are when you send email from a profile page. What we removed was the possibility of entering @proz.com as a reply-to address. That is why the fraudulent poster used the address \"priz.com\". Make sense?

As for what we know about the person writing the emails, we know the IP address, which means we know where he/she lives. Reporting the matter to the local police department is one option available to us, but the area is not one known for police moderation, and I personally am not prone to taking that step at this point. (Though if the fraud persists, it is conceivable that I would have no choice.) In the meantime, I will leave it to you to judge whether or not it would be in my interest to write such emails.

As for whether or not the job system will be made more transparent, the answer is yes. If you want to know when this will happen, the answer is that it will happen when we are able to get to it. The average pro translates 3000 words a day. When a client asks for 20,000 words by tomorrow morning, you have to say no.

Likewise, the ProZ.com staff is made up of humans, and there is a scale to this business, defined by certain economic factors. I am grateful to each and every person who sees fit to invest in his or her business via this platform. After all, it is the platinum members who provide for the existence of this site, and by extension, my livelihood.

While I feel that it is the freelancers that I work for (so in a sense, László, you are my boss), I am also acutely aware that it is the clients who inject needed capital into our community. When I was a freelancer, I went to lengths to give good service to my clients, and it paid off. I would like (good) clients to feel like customers at ProZ.com, and be served accordingly.

As for bad clients, I--like any freelancer or honest client--would like to see them disappear. So that is the mission. Stay tuned.
Collapse

bochkor
bochkor
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer needed not to when, but whether e-mail will be available Mar 3, 2002

Well, I\'m beginning to believe that you didn\'t write those e-mails, but just who is your such big an enemy, who would go to such lengths to impersonate you and talk as if you talked? And why would that person step in (I mean, I have never been targeted before, this is the first time) exactly at a time when I start a thread? And if all you have on this jerk is his/her IP address, you don\'t have much, so I would at least watch/analyze his/her behavioral patterns, at which occasions he/she becom... See more
Well, I\'m beginning to believe that you didn\'t write those e-mails, but just who is your such big an enemy, who would go to such lengths to impersonate you and talk as if you talked? And why would that person step in (I mean, I have never been targeted before, this is the first time) exactly at a time when I start a thread? And if all you have on this jerk is his/her IP address, you don\'t have much, so I would at least watch/analyze his/her behavioral patterns, at which occasions he/she becomes active, what motivates him/her?

But my most important question why I had originally started this thread was to get back the e-mail address verification of the posters at least, because I really have checked each and every one against Network Solutions\' WHOIS database, unless their e-mail was @hotmail.com or similar. I wanted to know several things. If they just left Mike, for example, I wanted to know, whether it\'s the owner who wrote me or an employee, without having to ask him directly \"Are you the owner or who are you?\" And I wanted to compare the address they gave me to what Netsol\'s WHOIS had on file. To see, if they\'re telling the truth. Because anyone can give a fine-looking bogus address and then ask \"Will you work for me?\" So in this case I could point out the difference (and I did several times) between the 2 addresses and if they were honest, they didn\'t have a problem to explain.

You might think I\'m overcautious and I\'m indeed looking for mismatches, inconsistences, but if I find everything alright, then I\'ll give my best to that company.

Back to the e-mail thing, I didn\'t ask when, but I would really like to see it happen this coming week, because I really want to keep applying/bidding and I\'ve only done it by e-mail so far (despite the fact that I\'m a paying member). I also found another advantage to e-mail: that I could send them my resume and sample translations attached right away, which you can\'t do on the website.

So while I would love to see it on Monday, I will also be happy, if I see it the latest by Friday. But the question is rather, will you include e-mail addresses in the proper identification or not? This is what it\'s all about. Because even if I have a company name, how do I know it\'s not made up? I would have to check with the Dept. of Consumer Affairs in the poster\'s city (if that city is known at all), but that\'s impossible to do quickly right before bidding. Online verification is the only fastest thing you can do before deciding to bid or not. And Network Solutions served that purpose very well. And I think, if they don\'t have problems posting e-mail & street addresses for their domain owners, then you shouldn\'t have any problems with it, either.

So what do you say to e-mail?
Collapse

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
so, why is this such a big deal? Mar 3, 2002

I bid once to one of this unknown posters.

They contacted me, I asked for their full details; when I got those details, I found that these guys had a very bad reputation; I said \"no, thanks\". End of story.

Yes, I\'d rather know beforehands who the poster is; but, really, I don\'t see it as a big problem.

Best regards,

Patricia

bochkor
bochkor
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem for you? Then don't check, but I will. Mar 3, 2002

You admit yourself you\'d rather know beforehand, so my point is it saves you time and aggravation (nerves) and I prefer to spend my time actually translating, than running after my money. So please, don\'t downplay this important issue! This is not the time and place to play a pacifist. There\'s far more at stake. Thanks!

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Take it easy Mar 4, 2002

I never start working before I have a complete PO with all the information I need.

BTW, I think that I am entitled to play the pacifist or anything else whenever and wherever it pleases me. And I still think this issue is no big deal, whether you like it or not.

You wrote this, didn\'t you?:

\"I think inflammatory language should be tolerated in the name of free speech (if its opposers ever heard of it) and so should sarcasm (see my previous te
... See more
I never start working before I have a complete PO with all the information I need.

BTW, I think that I am entitled to play the pacifist or anything else whenever and wherever it pleases me. And I still think this issue is no big deal, whether you like it or not.

You wrote this, didn\'t you?:

\"I think inflammatory language should be tolerated in the name of free speech (if its opposers ever heard of it) and so should sarcasm (see my previous text in brackets).\"

So try at least to be coherent. Otherwise you just sound like a spoilt child who cannot stand disagreement.

You\'re welcome.

Collapse

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Outsourcers' mail Mar 5, 2002

You must have noticed that now there is a neat little box right under the bid information, with the outsourcer\'s contact, company and email.

I found this a very good solution; the information is right before your eyes when you open the job page, and it is not necessary to click other links to find the email.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
Excellent - THANK YOU, HENRY!!! Mar 5, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-05 21:06, Beatriz2 wrote:

You must have noticed that now there is a neat little box right under the bid information, with the outsourcer\'s contact, company and email.

I found this a very good solution; the information is right before your eyes when you open the job page, and it is not necessary to click other links to find the email.

I just c... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-05 21:06, Beatriz2 wrote:

I just checked it; you\'re right, the information is right there. Thank you very much, Henry!! ▲ Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E-mail removed from all \"Close bidding\" pages (Part 2)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »