How to charge here? Per word or per page?
Thread poster: Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 4, 2002

I have been sent 87 pages for translation. Problem is that the client has had to scan the hard copy and has sent me 87 pages in JPEG files.

Word count is almost impossible and I am thinking that it would be convenient to charge per page. Do you agree? If so, how much should I charge a page? Some pages are loaded with words, others have only a few. others also have tables.

Will appreciate your tips.

Thanks. ...
See more
I have been sent 87 pages for translation. Problem is that the client has had to scan the hard copy and has sent me 87 pages in JPEG files.

Word count is almost impossible and I am thinking that it would be convenient to charge per page. Do you agree? If so, how much should I charge a page? Some pages are loaded with words, others have only a few. others also have tables.

Thanks.
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:10
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe target word? Jun 4, 2002

Why don\'t you charge per Target word? When you are done with the translation, you will be able to count the words very easily. Now you can tell your client a set price per target word and go from there.

Just an idea,

Monika

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-05 04:57 ]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:10
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is difficult Jun 4, 2002

as I assume, you need to give the price for translation before starting the job.

If you could charge after doing this job, there would be no problem.

I have no better idea as to count a lines on about ten pages and then to estimate the rest. So do I if I\'m asked to give the price before starting to translate a hardcopy document.

Doing some OCR on the JPEGs maybe some help, but I have not enough experience with OCR, since the results I get in the past wer
... See more
as I assume, you need to give the price for translation before starting the job.

If you could charge after doing this job, there would be no problem.

I have no better idea as to count a lines on about ten pages and then to estimate the rest. So do I if I\'m asked to give the price before starting to translate a hardcopy document.

Doing some OCR on the JPEGs maybe some help, but I have not enough experience with OCR, since the results I get in the past were not really satisfactory.

But counting some full and less full pages manually and then estimatig the average per page to estimate the rest of the text must work.

Kind regards

Jerzy
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Give an estimate Jun 4, 2002

87 x 250 if typeface = 12 points; 87 x 300/320 if typeface = 10 points (full pages). Emphasize that this is a rough estimate and that the target text will have to be the word count basis.

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Monika, Jun 4, 2002

I am going to ask for an up-front payment of at least 35%. It is for this reason that I consider charging per page would solve the problem. I still don\'t know what to do.

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:10
Spanish to English
I always charge target word count Jun 4, 2002

Most of the documents I get are hard copy, so I always charge per target word.

If it a translation from Spanish into English, more than likely the word count will be less anyways than the original.

You could try charging per page, but then the client might want you to charge less for certain pages, etc...

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:10
French to English
I wouldn't... Jun 4, 2002

Hi Bertha,

In my opinion, it would be too dangerous to charge per page.

Could you have a typist type out the 87 pages? At least that way, you would have an electronic copy and a source count. The price of a typist would be a fraction of what you\'d make from the job.

FWIW,

Erika

Linda Young (X)
Linda Young (X)
French to English
+ ...
A general calculation Jun 4, 2002

This is an example on how I work out whether to charge by word or page. It doesn\'t work for everyone, but it has worked for me when charging on large projects.

HTFor computing prices in other methods than per

word,

we have calculated that the average word in an

average

document has 6.53 characters (including the

space/tab/ENTER

which follows it). Therefore,

0.05 USD/w should equal approximately

0.05 x
... See more
This is an example on how I work out whether to charge by word or page. It doesn\'t work for everyone, but it has worked for me when charging on large projects.

HTFor computing prices in other methods than per

word,

we have calculated that the average word in an

average

document has 6.53 characters (including the

space/tab/ENTER

which follows it). Therefore,

0.05 USD/w should equal approximately

0.05 x 55 / 6.53 = 0.42 USD per line of 55

characters or

0.05 x 1800 / 6.53 = 13.8 USD per page of 1800 characters.

Regards and good luck

Linda
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:10
Italian to English
+ ...
Whenever I get a faxed/hard copy job... Jun 4, 2002

I usually charge by target word.

I should also note that I never do page layout (well, on one occasion I did) - it\'s just too time consuming to work that way from hard copy. I will, however, recreate tables and everything else that goes along with the translation.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-06-04 20:33, Bertha wrote:

I have been sent 87 pages for translation. Problem is th... See more
I usually charge by target word.

I should also note that I never do page layout (well, on one occasion I did) - it\'s just too time consuming to work that way from hard copy. I will, however, recreate tables and everything else that goes along with the translation.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-06-04 20:33, Bertha wrote:

Thanks.

Collapse

Eleonora Hantzsch
Eleonora Hantzsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:10
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Promedios Jun 4, 2002

Personalmente, yo tomaría una hoja de texto, calcularía allí la cantidad de palabras (líneas x cantidad de palabras aproximadas); lo mismo haría con una hoja \"tipo\" de gráficos o tablas y calcularía eso. Eventualmente, siempre se puede calcular un pequeño margen para no estar tan apretado (me parece mejor que pasarle al cliente un precio estimado y no un total).

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hello Bertha, Jun 4, 2002

I had to do that kind of job several times. I handle such files with an OCR program (I use FineReader) and get normal Word files which preserve the original formatting. It is really the best way.

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Per page ... on an hourly basis Jun 4, 2002

I charge JPEGs per page. They are much more difficult to handle and time-consuming than .doc format, so it is not only a question of word count. I estimate one hour per JPEG and calculate the price on that basis. If there are some that have just a big image and a few words I count them as 1/2 an hour.

HTH

admaso
admaso
United States
Local time: 15:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Per Source Measured, per Target, Scan OCR doc... Jun 4, 2002

Per source:

In news papers they pay writers by written square inch. Measure an inch, count, charge an \"estimate\".

Usually there is about 500 words per full page.

Per target.

OCR: Try to convert the file into a processed ocr word. DO NOT RELAY ON WORD COUNT by MS Word IS NOT ACCURATE!

Pay a teenager to count the words.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge here? Per word or per page?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »