Looking for advice on how to verify clients.
Thread poster: Jose Melgarejo
Jose Melgarejo
Jose Melgarejo
Venezuela
Local time: 17:10
Member (2021)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2023

Hey there. I became a member a while ago, but only recently paid for a membership (disregard my profile saying I began in 2021; mistakes were made). I am negotiating with someone who, hopefully, will be my very first client via ProZ.

Now, a good amount of work was secured via platforms such as Upwork, with strong measurements to secure the work got paid. I understand that ProZ has similar mechanisms for their members, so I'm most likely using them. The issue, however, is that the c
... See more
Hey there. I became a member a while ago, but only recently paid for a membership (disregard my profile saying I began in 2021; mistakes were made). I am negotiating with someone who, hopefully, will be my very first client via ProZ.

Now, a good amount of work was secured via platforms such as Upwork, with strong measurements to secure the work got paid. I understand that ProZ has similar mechanisms for their members, so I'm most likely using them. The issue, however, is that the client's personal account is quite new but associated with a company as employee account (with the blue squared badge and all). The client also has SecurePro™ and the business itself has a couple of positive reviews from several years ago.

I think my only complain is the client himself doesn't have a membership. Also, despite the good signs, I still lack experience to discern how trustworthy these are.

Thank you all in advance for your time reading
Collapse

mohamed42320

dkfmmuc
dkfmmuc  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:10
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
A small deposit of some US Dollars Nov 29, 2023

Dear Jose,

the fastest and most reliable way to secure that the client is who he says....

Just request an upfront payment of some US Dollars or your local currency.

As a first step you have then the "legal name" as it appears on the bank account. By this you sort out all people who try to steal a translation, eg the scammer from a specific North African country.

And then begin with a smaller project.

Hope this helps.

... See more
Dear Jose,

the fastest and most reliable way to secure that the client is who he says....

Just request an upfront payment of some US Dollars or your local currency.

As a first step you have then the "legal name" as it appears on the bank account. By this you sort out all people who try to steal a translation, eg the scammer from a specific North African country.

And then begin with a smaller project.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Gerd
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Blue Board Nov 29, 2023

If the client, that is, the company, has a profile, they are likely to have a few BlueBoard entries. If these are positive, and you have a good feeling about the client, go for it.
A few things you might take into account:
Does the offer seem genuine, i.e. realistic (not too good to be true)? Does your contact person use an email address associated to their employer (not a personal freemail address)? Do they ask the right questions about your rates and experience?

You
... See more
If the client, that is, the company, has a profile, they are likely to have a few BlueBoard entries. If these are positive, and you have a good feeling about the client, go for it.
A few things you might take into account:
Does the offer seem genuine, i.e. realistic (not too good to be true)? Does your contact person use an email address associated to their employer (not a personal freemail address)? Do they ask the right questions about your rates and experience?

You could ask for a small deposit as the previous poster suggested, but I think most clients, even very trustworthy ones, are unwilling to do this. On the other hand, plenty of scammers make a fake payment to lure people in first.

As long as your first job with them is not too big and your gut feeling is right, I think you don't have much to lose. For extra confirmation, you could contact one or more of the translators who have left a BlueBoard entry, meaning that they have worked for this client.

Good luck!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Lieven Malaise
Matthieu Ledoré
Walter Landesman

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@José Nov 29, 2023

In deciding whether to work with a company or not, one must carry out some due diligence. The first order of due diligence is geographical: Have you checked their IP address? Then, there are lots of things you can do: Have you visited the ProZ.com Scam Centre? Have you searched the Internet in all the right places (BB, Hall of Fame and Shame, Payment Practices, LinkedIn groups, etc.)? Why don’t you give the company a call or get in touch with them through their Proz profile?

Besid
... See more
In deciding whether to work with a company or not, one must carry out some due diligence. The first order of due diligence is geographical: Have you checked their IP address? Then, there are lots of things you can do: Have you visited the ProZ.com Scam Centre? Have you searched the Internet in all the right places (BB, Hall of Fame and Shame, Payment Practices, LinkedIn groups, etc.)? Why don’t you give the company a call or get in touch with them through their Proz profile?

Besides all that, google for "Risk Management" and "Due Diligence" for lots of other ideas. When I can't really find anything about that potential client but it doesn't feel good, I don't proceed.
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Robert Rietvelt

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Old school method Nov 29, 2023

Get the main phone number of the company from public sources and ask the switchboard to connect you to the client.

Kevin Fulton
Samuel Murray
Robert Rietvelt
Daryo

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:10
French to English
My approach Nov 29, 2023

From a question earlier in the year on LinkedIn, which I then expanded a bit:

https://cbavington.com/blog/2023/01/16/diligence-on-new-clients/

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jose Dec 29, 2023

Jose Melgarejo wrote:
Platforms such as Upwork [have] strong measurements to secure the work got paid. I understand that ProZ has similar mechanisms for their members...

Nope. ProZ.com has no mechanisms to ensure that clients who find translators via ProZ.com actually pay the translators. There are mechanisms to help ensure identity e.g. the SecurePro card and to keep track of translator reviews (the Blue Board), but ProZ.com does not make any effort to help ensure payment.

The client also has SecurePro™...

Everyone at ProZ.com "has" or can get a SecurePro card. The SecurePro card is simply a page that shows what information has been verified by ProZ.com. Here is part of my SecurePro card:

samuel secure pro
...and here is part of the card of another poster in this thread, just for comparison:

maria secure pro
Only the green labelled items have actually been verified.

The issue, however, is that the client's personal account is quite new but associated with a company as employee account (with the blue squared badge and all).

What blue squared badge are you talking about?

On a person's ProZ.com profile page, you can see whether they are affiliated with a Blue Board entry (i.e. with a company), e.g.:

maria blue board
...or whether they are listed as an employee of a company that has a ProZ.com company profile, e.g.:

bayan employee
...but I don't know what you mean by "blue squared badge".

...and the business itself has a couple of positive reviews from several years ago.

When you say "reviews", do you mean Blue Board entries?

I think my only complain is the client himself doesn't have a membership.

The owners of ProZ.com unfortunately use the term "member" to refer to a paying member, so if your client's profile page says that they're not a "member", it just means that they're not a paying member. I don't consider it a red flag if an outsourcer is not a paying member of ProZ.com.

[Edited at 2023-12-29 12:19 GMT]

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:10
English to Turkish
Advice Dec 29, 2023

A wise man once advised me to ask a shady looking client to provide their bank details and PIN number to prove their bona fides...

Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Baran Dec 29, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

A wise man once advised me to ask a shady looking client to provide their bank details and PIN number to prove their bona fides...

A client can provide false details.

Baran Keki

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Jose Dec 29, 2023

Follow the advices given by your colleagues, and at the end, follow your guts. The bottom line is, there is no security. You are an entrepreneur, and no "entreprises" without risks.

Baran Keki

Renate Radziwill-Rall
Renate Radziwill-Rall  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
PP Jan 5

Payment Practices,
make sure to be a member of this network. It saved my financial life more than once.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
PP Jan 5

I believe what Renate is referring to is either of these two resources:
https://groups.io/g/WPPF (free)
https://www.paymentpractices.net/ (paid, but quite affordable)

Renate Radziwill-Rall
Renate Radziwill-Rall  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
PP Jan 5

Yes, Payment Practices by Ted Wozniak

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for advice on how to verify clients.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »