Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
CafeTran is integrating ChatGPT: preview available for licensed users
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
May 17, 2023

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that, as announced here, a new version of CafeTran Espresso is about to be released. This new version will feature CT-L1 Linguist powered by ChatGPT, allowing users to apply a wide range of linguistic functions such as translation, correction, definition of terms, rephrasing and shor
... See more
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that, as announced here, a new version of CafeTran Espresso is about to be released. This new version will feature CT-L1 Linguist powered by ChatGPT, allowing users to apply a wide range of linguistic functions such as translation, correction, definition of terms, rephrasing and shortening of sentences, suggestion of synonyms.

Licensed users and ProZ.com Plus subscribers are invited to preview the update and submit feedback (remember that CafeTran is included in ProZ.com Plus subscription). To do so, check the original announcement at the CafeTran forum and follow the steps to become a reviewer.

Hope this info helps. =)

Happy translating!

Lucia
Collapse

Michaela Weber

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
feedback please May 17, 2023

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Licensed users and ProZ.com Plus subscribers are invited to preview the update and submit feedback
Lucia

I would welcome feedback that is posted here

Philip Lees

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nice May 17, 2023

Tested it with a couple of segments and noticed that ChatGPT offers better suggestions than DeepL, taking the context into account:

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 18.25.22

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 18.26.51

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:41
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Not that nice in or from Japanese May 19, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
Tested it with a couple of segments and noticed that ChatGPT offers better suggestions than DeepL, taking the context into account:

Sometimes ChatGPT is better than DeepL, sometimes the opposite is true. Both are far better than Google Translate, though.

The fact is, both ChatGPT and DeepL quite often translate the exact opposite of what the source text says, even simple sentences, which makes both still unreliable in our language pairs.

That said, let's see if we can have a new type of fun with Cafetran!

[Edited at 2023-05-19 01:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-05-19 01:15 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Not impressed May 19, 2023

Mario Cerutti wrote:

That said, let's see if we can have a new type of fun with Cafetran!

In an actual translation project, I have unfortunately found that ChatGPT translates very literally. DeepL provided significantly better translations. At the one question about the meaning of a term, ChatGPT started hallucinating: completely unusable.

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
The ChatGPT honeymoon May 19, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
In an actual translation project, I have unfortunately found that ChatGPT translates very literally.

After some quick trials with various texts, it seems to me that ChatGPL is better at rephrasing than translating.

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Can I use the Rephrase feature only? May 20, 2023

I did some additional tests, and confirmed that ChatGPT is generally better at rephrasing then translating (at least in our language pairs).

What about other language pairs?

I haven't set up a ChatGPT account yet, but first of all I would like to know if in Cafetran the Rephrase feature can be used with our own translation, i.e. without translating with ChatGPT first.

Thanks

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Rephrase May 20, 2023

Although the help tip for Rephrase shows "Rephrase the following {target} text", what is being rephrased is the source text. I haven't been able to have ChatGPT rephrase the target text with that button.

To initiate a target text rephrase, you need to do it manually (Add something like "Rephrase the following text in {target language) in the CT-L1 panel.

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Rephrase of target sentence May 20, 2023

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:
Although the help tip for Rephrase shows "Rephrase the following {target} text", what is being rephrased is the source text. I haven't been able to have ChatGPT rephrase the target text with that button.

Let's hope it's possible to fix this, because in my opinion it would be very useful from a linguistic viewpoint.

To initiate a target text rephrase, you need to do it manually (Add something like "Rephrase the following text in {target language) in the CT-L1 panel.

Maybe a macro would help streamlining the process here (Hans would be delighted, I think), but I don't fill like starting to learn how to create keyboard macros at this point in my life. Let's hope in a quick fix by Igor then, if at all possible.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:41
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Change the default Rephrase message May 20, 2023

You can edit the Rephrase message in Options changing it to:

Rephrase the following text in {target} language:

Hans Lenting
Jean Dimitriadis

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Correct May 20, 2023

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

You can edit the Rephrase message in Options changing it to:

Rephrase the following text in {target} language:

Just wanted to post that solution.

Igor, is it possible to adapt the button label too?

I have a second Translate button (to translate to English, instead of my target language). Now I have 2x Translate.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:41
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Button names May 20, 2023

CafeTran shortens the button names to the first word in the message. Change the word order, use the synonym of the first word or phrase the message in your native language.

[Edited at 2023-05-20 07:31 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Use your local eyes! May 20, 2023

Regarding localization of numbers:

Target:

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 09.18.49

Modified button (phrase):

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 09.20.31

Result:

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 09.20.22

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran is integrating ChatGPT: preview available for licensed users

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »