jyuan_us  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 17:29
Lid 2005
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
Feb 10, 2005

Requires credential verified by ProZ.com

在Proz job posting 里经常看到这样的要求. 这是什么意思? Proz有这种功能/义务/服务吗? How?

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Local time: 23:29
Lid 2003
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Quote from the FAQs Feb 10, 2005

就这样:

1. How do I get a credential verified?

ProZ.com verifies language-related credentials reported by ProZ.com members. At this time the following credentials can be verified:
Accreditations issued by authorities such as: AAIT, AAIC, CTA, etc.
Language-related Academic Credentials / Degrees issued by accredited educational institutions
First, report your credentials in your profile.

Second, send copies of your credential (including an English translation, if necessary) to ProZ.com, by one of the following means:

Postal mail:
9405 Carousel Center
Syracuse, NY 13290 USA

Fax: +1-315-428-9692

Email (as image attachments): [email protected]

Finally, submit a support request that your credential be verified.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 05:29
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
比較不傳統的看法 Feb 10, 2005

Credentials 對我而言是一種迷思,好像有了證照就萬事通一樣。其實,某些具有證照文憑的人功夫比某些沒有證照文憑的人差很多。不過,對相信這一套的人而言,亮得出證照文憑的人看來總是比較有來頭,也容易讓他們佔點ㄦ便宜,直到燒到指頭才會發現證照文憑不一定代表了什麼了不得的成就。

行銷自己的方法有許多種,亮出證照文憑來頭只是其中的一種。另外就
... See more
Credentials 對我而言是一種迷思,好像有了證照就萬事通一樣。其實,某些具有證照文憑的人功夫比某些沒有證照文憑的人差很多。不過,對相信這一套的人而言,亮得出證照文憑的人看來總是比較有來頭,也容易讓他們佔點ㄦ便宜,直到燒到指頭才會發現證照文憑不一定代表了什麼了不得的成就。

行銷自己的方法有許多種,亮出證照文憑來頭只是其中的一種。另外就是像我的老同學 Per N. Döhler 的方式,採取潛移默化的方法。我對那種要求 Credentials 的客戶敬而遠之,因為他們發現一點瑕疵時,不會跟你切磋琢磨,容易對你羞辱有加,因此如果不是酬勞特高的工作,也非我特別熟悉的領域,我便懶得亮出來頭去跟那種客戶囉嗦。市場那麼大,隨時都有適合自己的工作,為何一定要自找苦頭吃?

Credentials 僅供參考。建立良好的客服聲譽可能會比較有效些。我常常審修稿件後給客戶一點小小建議,說明這位翻譯人的強處和弱點,建議客戶如何使用那位翻譯人可以節省審稿成本。有人以為審稿是要多修多改可以顯示自己的功力很行。我的做法恰恰相反,結果是我的審稿案件多得還要訓練別人來執行。背後的道理不難懂:以這種方法來訓練翻譯人,可以培養出真正能做事的翻譯人,他們會知道自己的不足而予以補強,一來替翻譯人增加工作機會,再來翻譯人樂於讓我審稿,客戶則不需花大錢請人做大翻修,成本因此降低。從來不存在無懈可擊的翻譯,要 credentials 幹什麼?
Collapse

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:29
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
Seems like it's the wave of the future Feb 10, 2005

Many companies are now requiring credentials due to their obligations under ISO9001 and other programs. While I agree there are many practitioners who are perfectly competent and who hold no formal credential in translation or interpretation, requiring more credentials is a sign of a maturation of our industry. There are many programs available if one wishes to obtain a credential in translation, including many that can be done over the Internet.

One point strikes me, however: seems
... See more
Many companies are now requiring credentials due to their obligations under ISO9001 and other programs. While I agree there are many practitioners who are perfectly competent and who hold no formal credential in translation or interpretation, requiring more credentials is a sign of a maturation of our industry. There are many programs available if one wishes to obtain a credential in translation, including many that can be done over the Internet.

One point strikes me, however: seems like many of the organizations requesting credentials (not just those verified by ProZ) don't really know what they are asking for. For example, even with an MA in T&I from a Chinese-speaking country, I was recently asked to show proof that I'd taken a Chinese test within the last five years. Now, why would I do that if I'm working every day as a translator? I'm still puzzled by that particular request.
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 05:29
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
證照問題 Feb 10, 2005

台灣的產官學界兩個月前才開過了第二次研討會,決定要建立所謂的「英文翻譯人才三級評鑑制度」,妙的是「不擬建立證照制度」。

我提出一個問題:既然不擬建立證照制度,評鑑翻譯人才幹什麼?有了評鑑證書,翻譯業者就會雇用你?

實話實說,咱們大多是自由翻譯人,也就是說「自己當自己的老闆」,當然是自己找客戶,可能是業者,也可能是企業�
... See more
台灣的產官學界兩個月前才開過了第二次研討會,決定要建立所謂的「英文翻譯人才三級評鑑制度」,妙的是「不擬建立證照制度」。

我提出一個問題:既然不擬建立證照制度,評鑑翻譯人才幹什麼?有了評鑑證書,翻譯業者就會雇用你?

實話實說,咱們大多是自由翻譯人,也就是說「自己當自己的老闆」,當然是自己找客戶,可能是業者,也可能是企業、實業界的直接客戶。不管是哪種性質的客戶,他們固然需要某個等級的品質,但在那樣的品質下還要求價錢便宜。你有了評鑑證書不過表示你比別人貴些罷了。如果再來個證照制度,你有了證照,那肯定又要比別人更貴!

除此之外,又沒有規定有證照的人不可以雇用沒有證照的人工作,也沒有規定業者必需雇用有證照或者有評鑑證書的翻譯人。於是乎,證照和評鑑都成了徒具形式。用台灣話說:什麼鳥用也沒有!

提升翻譯產業的最佳辦法就是:讓每個翻譯人都成為自己的老闆,或者由幾個翻譯人組成工作團隊成為翻譯業者;那些沒有翻譯實務經驗者,不得介入翻譯派稿工作,因為他們認不清文本的性質,容易派錯人選;在譯入語文裡沒有達到母語水平的作家等級者,不得擔任審潤工作;在譯出語文裡沒有達到文本領域裡上水平理解能力者,不得擔任翻譯工作……等等等等。如果沒有做這樣的規範,證照和評鑑都是作虛作假的,上有政策則下有對策,翻譯社群的素質還是外甥打燈籠。我非常懷疑,證照真的可以代表一個產業的成熟度。得到「博士」學位的人明明是在某方面專精的「專士」,偏偏漢語要稱之為「博士」;這下就好像什麼都通了一樣,連化學博士也可以對上天下海無事不管了。

咱們做翻譯工作的人最明白,對許多我們所翻譯的文本,我們都是一知半解的,沒有該行業的專門人才從旁協助,我們使用的專業術語不過是裝腔作勢,什麼內涵都沒有。因此之故,我總以為翻譯人應該老實些,證照是唬人的東西,能唬出銀子來才有必要搞個證照。以目前的產業結構來看,動不動就亮出證照,包管自討苦吃。
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Credential verified by ProZ.com?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »