Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:58
Member (2020)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Kay Denney Feb 10, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

If your Zoom meetings don't lead to you getting jobs, maybe you're doing something wrong.

No, that's not it. They ask for these calls when I already got the job or passed the test, as part of the onboarding process.

- make sure you have a nice background (shelves of dictionaries and interesting books, I would have books and other items representing my various specialities: CDs by musicians I work for, reproductions of artwork by artists for whom I have translated exhibition cartels and catalogues. I'll point these out as I mention the various jobs I have done)
- work on your posture, sitting up rather than slouching, looking interested and interesting, smiling, no picking noses, scratching itches, or any other annoying habits you might have (I was horrified, in pre-internet days, to see a video of myself while demonstrating something, twiddling with my hair and scratching my nose where my hair had tickled it, and ever since, I've been very careful to use my hands only to put my point across),
- practise talking about your work, highlighting jobs that might be of interest to the client, work you've done for their competitors, your knowledge of their industry, your working methods, ensuring that you sound like you enjoy your work (as opposed to "reading my CV out loud" which sounds excruciatingly boring),
- if you can get them to laugh, you'll increase your chances no end, so practise slipping little jokes in (I often get a laugh telling them about my little mottos like "quality control is like housework, nobody notices unless you've not bothered", or I tell them how I used to have a post-it on my screen that said "cut the crap" as a reminder that English needs to be more concise and to-the-point than French, where you need to wax lyrical on occasion, and use long sentences to show that you're clever).

I am not doing these little "acting performances" to appear neat on Zoom calls for anybody of these people. I couldn't care less what they think about my background and my body language. And neither am I in the position of having to chum up to anyone, it's take it or leave it. I get daily requests from all over the place.

The days of behaving like an employee are over.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-02-10 14:46 GMT]

Gerard Barry
Jorge Payan

Anna A. K.
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Baran Feb 10, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

that's one way of establishing whether or not the person is who he/she says he/she is, and not some scammer who's stolen somebody else's CV and masquerading as an English to Dutch/Bulgarian/Slovakian/Georgian translator, looking to get e-mail notifications from agencies to outsource those jobs to bottom-feeders on Upwork.
Some sort of vetting is necessary to separate wheat from chaff. Anybody can get into agencies' books by simply clicking on the 'Join Us' button. I suggested (and still think it's a good idea) providing references who would vouch for one's ability and skills as a translator in the past, but, for some reason, it got a very negative reaction from forum members. Zoom calls sound extreme and annoying. Nobody has ever asked me to do that as of yet. I don't even have a camera & microphone for my desktop computer.

Yes, I always provide references. And I passed their assessments and tests, what else do they want?
And I understand that they want to make sure it's me, but 30 minutes to an hour??? It's rediculous.

Gerard Barry

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:58
English to Turkish
To be honest with you Feb 10, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:
Yes, I always provide references. And I passed their assessments and tests, what else do they want?
And I understand that they want to make sure it's me, but 30 minutes to an hour??? It's rediculous.

I'm not sure if their purpose is actually to see if 'you are not a catfish'. I'd never heard of any freelance translator being interviewed as part of an onboarding process until you posted your topic.
It's just that I strongly dislike the first-come-first-served type agencies that everybody and their mother can join by clicking on the 'Join Us' button or filling out an online form with no proper checks/vetting whatsoever, and can't seem to resist the urge to vent my frustration whenever the opportunity arises.
I seriously don't understand what people have against providing references, when the referees are willing to reply to such inquiries every once in a while. I can't think of a better way to assess/check a translator and their competence than asking a few questions about them to the PMs who have previously worked with them.
I'd stay away from zoom calls and chatty types especially if I were a female translator

Anna A. K.
expressisverbis

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Lately, I've been thinking... Feb 10, 2022

...about the idea of translators being vetted by an international association that has an authority over the business. All translators need to be certified before they start working, and the certificate/license can only be issued by that association. To get certified, candidates must pass a training program and several tests to asses their translation capabilities according to their specialized fields. Anyone who isn't certified is not allowed to translate professionally.

This might
... See more
...about the idea of translators being vetted by an international association that has an authority over the business. All translators need to be certified before they start working, and the certificate/license can only be issued by that association. To get certified, candidates must pass a training program and several tests to asses their translation capabilities according to their specialized fields. Anyone who isn't certified is not allowed to translate professionally.

This might end up as an ultra-totalitarian system, and I don't know if it's really doable. But I can't think of a better vetting method.

Baran Keki wrote:

It's just that I strongly dislike the first-come-first-served type agencies that everybody and their mother can join by clicking on the 'Join Us' button or filling out an online form with no proper checks/vetting whatsoever

[Edited at 2022-02-10 15:18 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
Zoom meetings Feb 11, 2022

Most likely some agencies want to see what color you are. I notice some European agencies require a photo in their onboarding process.
This would not be permitted in the US (despite the rampant racism in the US).

Adieu
Anna A. K.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Maybe they ARE stealing your time Feb 11, 2022

Because they, too, are outside contractors who bill by the hour or a fee per candidate interviewed?

Can't bill much for forwarding a style guide or a link to a questionnaire.

Anna1307 wrote:

Hi there,

I have noticed that some clients or translation agencies tend to ask for a zoom/skype meeting after I successfully applied for a job or when a test translation was successful. Looking back, all of these calls were an absolute waste of time, because they are telling me things that they could have easily written in a short email but occupy 30 minutes or an hour of my time instead.

Or they ask me about my experience, which is stated very detailed in my resume. And I basically read my resume to them. What is the point? I really start to feel annoyed by these calls as they are 100 % useless and stealing my time. I understand they want to get to know the translator, but why are these call never efficient or helpful?

I was wondering if you guys are often asked for (unnecessary) zoom meetings in the beginning stages of a new job and how you go about it. I am at a point where I just want to decline them, but in a nice way.

Best regards,
Anna

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:58
English to Turkish
Not necessarily Feb 11, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

Most likely some agencies want to see what color you are. I notice some European agencies require a photo in their onboarding process.

I got asked to produce a proof of identity and a proof of address (utility bill) by an agency this week. When I asked why they wanted those things, they told me it was a measure against scammers. It stands to reason.
Who gives a shit about your colour if you deliver quality or, conversely, deliver 'anything' at bottom-feeder rates.

Joe France
Joe France  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:58
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Perspective Feb 11, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

I understand what you mean, but time is a valuable resource that I don't like to give away freely, not in my private life and especially not in my professional life. I have a problem with people who don't respect other people's time. I am not an employee, I am a freelancer. Those people don't seem to get that, our time is worth something. If they assess my skills and my test gets approved, and they have my references in the resume, if they have doubts about my reputation, there is no need for any "hanging around on Zoom" in my opinion.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective then, Anna. I think I already dealt with the employee-freelancer bit in my normal post - and I'm not suggesting by any means that anyone should sell themselves short. Of course you have to stand up for yourself and value your time. But I see a half-hour meeting to convince PMs (or Vendor Managers, or whoever else) that I'm a real person, reliable, switched on, personable and 'get' how the agency/company works as time well invested.

How often do you get to pitch 'you' directly to the people who could send you work? As I said, from my perspective it's a marketing opportunity - and not every marketing activity pays off. That's the nature of the game. But by refusing to play, you might rule yourself out completely.

There are plenty of things a CV or references can't tell you about a person. Anyway, I think we have pretty fundamental differences of opinion on this, so best of luck to you.

Kay Denney
Rui Domingues

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:58
English to French
+ ...
Company culture Feb 11, 2022

The use (or overuse) of meetings depends very much on company culture.
As stated here, videoconferencing or in-person can help convey things that can't be done only via typing. It can help build a sense of teamwork too, adding a more human element to it.

However, the quality of meetings depends very much on the perspective of the person organizing them. Some companies suffer from "acute meetingitis" where everything needs to happen in a meeting, this can be very annoying and t
... See more
The use (or overuse) of meetings depends very much on company culture.
As stated here, videoconferencing or in-person can help convey things that can't be done only via typing. It can help build a sense of teamwork too, adding a more human element to it.

However, the quality of meetings depends very much on the perspective of the person organizing them. Some companies suffer from "acute meetingitis" where everything needs to happen in a meeting, this can be very annoying and time consuming.
To me, what Anna 1307 describes is agencies that haven't done their homework on applications and want to feel more secure in their choices by adding meetings. From a distance that smells like dysfunctional internal structure.

One idea: create a video resume hosted somewhere secure and send them a link so they can watch it as a team (one simple solution is to use the youtube channel side of a gmail account, uplaod your video resume. Keep the video private. You can then share the video specifically to a gmail address (PM will need to give you a gmail address, other emails won't work).
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 11, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

They ask for these calls when I already got the job or passed the test, as part of the onboarding process.

I couldn't care less what they think about my background and my body language. And neither am I in the position of having to chum up to anyone, it's take it or leave it. I get daily requests from all over the place.

The days of behaving like an employee are over.

Wow second post of the day in which a translator seems to think they can just churn out translations like a machine and never mind being sociable.
If you're getting plenty of work like that, by all means brush these people off.

I would just mention that I have a much better working relationship with the clients I have had lunch with, or at least a conversation over the phone that goes beyond just the basics of outsourcing a job. They will invariably tell you stuff that's useful to know about their project or profession or attitude to work. These are the clients that will treat me like a human being. The few agencies where I've had real conversations with PMs are the ones who know best what kind of job I'm good at, and they make sure to send that stuff my way.
But it sounds like you don't want that kind of relationship with your clients, so you do you.

Rui Domingues
Christopher Schröder
Joe France

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Accept, but audio only, so you can take care of something else in the meantime Feb 11, 2022

They'll do most of the talking anyway. Just keep working on some other project of yours, or read or study or something, and throw in a random "yes, sure" or "I understand" every once in a while so they're satisfied that you're paying attention.

Once I had two preliminary such calls before a big project, one of 50 mins. and one of 1h20 (!).

In my invoice I charged the calls at $60/hour, they didn't bat an eye.

Philippe Locquet
Anna A. K.

Anna A. K.
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Daniel Frisano Feb 11, 2022

They'll do most of the talking anyway. Just keep working on some other project of yours, or read or study or something, and throw in a random "yes, sure" or "I understand" every once in a while so they're satisfied that you're paying attention.

Haha, that's a great idea.

I have switched the camera off by default. I feel it invades my privacy. But can you believe that some have the audacity to ask me to turn the camera on?

Gerard Barry

Anna A. K.
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Kay Denney Feb 11, 2022

Wow second post of the day in which a translator seems to think they can just churn out translations like a machine and never mind being sociable.

If you're getting plenty of work like that, by all means brush these people off.

Our profession is all about conveying written content in the best way possible. By no means does it include sociability. Even writers don't have to be sociable to do a great job. On the contrary, the best writers/translators I know are not "social butterflies" at all and rather socially weird.

But it sounds like you don't want that kind of relationship with your clients, so you do you.

I have great relationships with all of my clients, I convince people with my work ethics instead of "warm words". And that includes great responsiveness, even on weekends, delivering top-notch translations, be reliable, and never miss deadlines. I understand everyone is different, but I am a very efficient person, and when I don't see any value in these time-consuming meetings it simply frustrates me. The only people I know who have a lot of time on their hands for the "hanging out" part, are those who have the least ambitions. But that's just my experience.

Adieu

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Let me guess ... Feb 11, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

I have switched the camera off by default. I feel it invades my privacy. But can you believe that some have the audacity to ask me to turn the camera on?

I'll go out on a limb and guess that those who insist in you turning your camera on are generally male specimens. Am I wrong?

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Come off it! Feb 11, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

That seems very unlikely to me. Any proof? In any case, it's non-white people who are currently most favoured by employers thanks to "diversity" requirements.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unnecessary annoying zoom meetings

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »