I need some pronunciation help!
Thread poster: RolGreenberg
RolGreenberg
RolGreenberg
English
Nov 15, 2008

i want to know how to properly pronounce these 3 hungarian surnames. Karsai,Tatai and Halmai. i will write the pronunciation the way that i have been saying it and if i am wrong,can someone please correct me. Karsai - car-shy........Tatai - ta-tie.......Halmai - hal-my. i think i am pronouncing it totally wrong. thanks for your help!

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:02
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
place a KudoZ question Nov 17, 2008

Dear Rol, place a KudoZ question, and you will get the answer within few minutes.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:02
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
explanation Nov 17, 2008

Karsai - car-shy........Tatai - ta-tie.......Halmai - hal-my
I am not specialized in English, therefore, my answer can be not completely correct, but I try to help you:
Karsai is k a r sh a i ( the beginning has to be pronounced , like the word "hard"
kharsha - this a again has to be pronounced , like the "a" in the word "hard" and the i at the end like the "ee" in English in the word "bee", so completely it is close to khar-sha-ee
with Tatai almost the same, its "t" lik
... See more
Karsai - car-shy........Tatai - ta-tie.......Halmai - hal-my
I am not specialized in English, therefore, my answer can be not completely correct, but I try to help you:
Karsai is k a r sh a i ( the beginning has to be pronounced , like the word "hard"
kharsha - this a again has to be pronounced , like the "a" in the word "hard" and the i at the end like the "ee" in English in the word "bee", so completely it is close to khar-sha-ee
with Tatai almost the same, its "t" lik ethe "t" in the word "tongue",
so
ta (like previous "a" in "hard) - ta -ee,

with the Halmai is the same thing with "a"-s and i at the end like -ee in the word "bee"

Hope it helps a bit;-)
Collapse

RolGreenberg
RolGreenberg
English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks. Nov 17, 2008

thanks alot erzsebet..i understand how to pronounce these names now! i wont need to do the KudoZ.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Ildiko Santana[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need some pronunciation help!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »