Thread poster: KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO
KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO
KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:52
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 1, 2002

I hope this is the right forum. My question: though I\'ve installed NJSTAR jap. cat tool which allows me to read kanji texts on the internet and a number of other japanese documents, I cannot read the japanese text of the japanese proz forum. Any suggestions welcome.

Karice70

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:52
SITE FOUNDER
Set your browser encoding to Japanese Aug 1, 2002

That should do it.

onlinemika
onlinemika
United States
Local time: 20:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
In internet explorer Aug 2, 2002

go to \"view,\" then \"encoding,\" and then select Japanese (auto-select). That should work!

KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still not succeeding Aug 2, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-02 14:10, onlinemika wrote:

go to \"view,\" then \"encoding,\" and then select Japanese (auto-select). That should work!

Thank you for your reply, yet that procedure did not work. Could it be because I run the Italian version package of Windows (2000 pro)?

Yakugo (X)
Yakugo (X)
Japanese to English
Concurrent use of Japanese WP software Aug 2, 2002

I have the same problem when using my desktop system but not my laptop. I think in my case there is a conflict with the display driver for my LCD monitor.

After trying all kinds of settings, I gave up and started using NJStar concurrently. I copy Japanese text from Proz and use Paste As ... -> Shift-JIS Text to place it in a blank document. I can then use the built-in dictionary to help with translation, edit my translation, and copy it back to Proz.

... See more
I have the same problem when using my desktop system but not my laptop. I think in my case there is a conflict with the display driver for my LCD monitor.

After trying all kinds of settings, I gave up and started using NJStar concurrently. I copy Japanese text from Proz and use Paste As ... -> Shift-JIS Text to place it in a blank document. I can then use the built-in dictionary to help with translation, edit my translation, and copy it back to Proz.

Good luck!

Wendy Ebersberger
Collapse

Ian Wood
Ian Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
Add-in for IE? Aug 6, 2002

I think I recall seeing an add-in for Internet Explorer that allows you to view (not input) Japanese.

Also, if you are running officeXP, try downloading the Global IME pack. (its about 50MB so not really viable on a normal modem)

If I find an actual link to either of these I will post again.

Ian Wood
Ian Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
somewhere to start Aug 6, 2002

try looking here:

http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/ie_ja.aspx

bd2016
bd2016
United States
Local time: 21:52
English to Japanese
Japanese setting information website Aug 6, 2002

You might already now, but Nihongo-OK.com has very good information about Japanese setting for English or other language OS.

http://www.nihongo-ok.com

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-06 18:43 ]

FrancescoP
FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:52
English to Italian
+ ...
To view content in Japanese: Aug 9, 2002

[Edited at 2003-08-29 16:07]

KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kanji on Proz forum pages Aug 9, 2002

I would like to thank everyone who suggested solutions to my problem. I succeeded at last by clicking view and encode japanese, this only after resetting Windows 2000 which had some problems.

Kanshya

K70

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can not view Kanji on ProZ.com pages

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »