Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Askers restricting questions to platinum answerers - why?
Autor de la hebra: IanW (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
francés al inglés
+ ...
Paying versus non-paying customers Sep 12, 2005

Henry is right.

If you pay for something, you have to have some rights.

That does not mean that a wider, non-paying community does not exist or have its specifities.

Henry has bent over backwards to accommodate both paying members and the broader proz community.

We should remember that.

There are times, by the way, when in a combination such as Spanish to English, I am looking Only For Native Speakers of the Source....i
... See more
Henry is right.

If you pay for something, you have to have some rights.

That does not mean that a wider, non-paying community does not exist or have its specifities.

Henry has bent over backwards to accommodate both paying members and the broader proz community.

We should remember that.

There are times, by the way, when in a combination such as Spanish to English, I am looking Only For Native Speakers of the Source....in other words, their explanation no matter how flawed in the target, ie English in my example, will help me understand some source difficulty.

cheers

Unbemoaning in Boston..:)
Jane

PS I recently posted this type of native only. Native speaker only for the the Source language, I repeat.

[Edited at 2005-09-12 19:16]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 22:38
FUNDADOR DEL SITIO
Give and take, not involving cash Sep 12, 2005

Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes wrote:

Customers PAY for SERVICES rendered.

"KudoZ is a structured network used by TRANSLATORS to COLLABORATE on terms."

When you ask a question, you are the customer and I serve you.
When I ask, I am the customer being served.
On the side, answerers get points that have commercial benefit. (You have.)
The overall result is an exchange that is cashless but fair.
Those who take part, asking or answering, get value.

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Alemania
Local time: 04:38
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Still don't understand ... Sep 12, 2005

While I do agree that the asker should be able to restrict the "target potential answerers" as to native / non-native, specialized in, working field, etc., because this may have an impact on the quality of the answer, I do not understand what platinum / non-platinum has to do with said quality????

br
Lydia

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
francés al inglés
+ ...
I don't understand either Sep 12, 2005

Henry

I don't understand now....The fact of answering a question is subsumed under a category of membership...

Ergo, you have allowed certain priveleges to paying members not accorded to non-paying ones...right?

Thanx for your clarification...

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ucrania
Local time: 05:38
Miembro 2004
inglés al ruso
+ ...
Hi Sormane Sep 12, 2005

I'm not Henry, still I'll try to comment on your question.

Platinum members are more serious (maybe just a bit, but it matters!) about their freelancer' career. They invested their money to support the site or to gain some benefits in their career. So, they are likely to be a bit more resposinble when answering kudoZ or otherwise
"showing off" at proZ. Sometimes they are too over-consciuous when showing themselves off, but this is another story.

Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes wrote:

Customers PAY for SERVICES rendered.

"KudoZ is a structured network used by TRANSLATORS to COLLABORATE on terms."

Am I missing something here?

Because as a regular answerer I haven't received any payment yet.

Sormane Gomes

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Polonia
alemán al polaco
+ ...
a question of principle Sep 12, 2005

Lydia Molea-Lanier wrote:

I do not understand what platinum / non-platinum has to do with said quality????

br
Lydia

My point entirely.
That's what I hoped to get an answer for.

And no, I don't treat Askers as my clients.
I see them as friends, colleagues, some of them as competitors.

All of us, here at proz, whether paying or not, contribute to the unique character of this site. I would hate to see it go under.

IMHO
No limitations are bad.
Too many limitations are much worse.

Worried in WAW

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
FUNDADOR DEL SITIO
It is the asker's choice Sep 12, 2005

tygru wrote:
Lydia Molea-Lanier wrote:
I do not understand what platinum / non-platinum has to do with said quality?

My point entirely.
That's what I hoped to get an answer for.

I don't think anyone can say definitively whether or not there is an association between platinum membership and quality of KudoZ answers. No presumptions were made in providing to askers the option to direct questions to paying members. The option is there simply because members asked for it. As I do not favor the idea of dictating to a member who s/he may or may not ask for help, I would not be inclined to remove this feature.

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Polonia
alemán al polaco
+ ...
Yes and no Sep 12, 2005

Thank you Henry for your prompt reply.

Henry wrote:

I don't think anyone can say definitively whether or not there is an association between platinum membership and quality of KudoZ answers. No presumptions were made in providing to askers the option to direct questions to paying members.

Sounds a bit mysterious to me Doesn't convince me one bit

The option is there simply because members asked for it.

I admit, I wasn't aware of that.

As I do not favor the idea of dictating to a member who s/he may or may not ask for help, I would not be inclined to remove this feature.

OK, I just dread to think that one day we might get to the point where, halfway down the list of features to choose, we forget what question we actually wanted to ask.

regards from stormy Warsaw

[Edited at 2005-09-12 17:11]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
alemán al inglés
+ ...
Askers restricting questions to platinum answerers - why? Sep 12, 2005

Henry wrote:

As I do not favor the idea of dictating to a member who s/he may or may not ask for help, I would not be inclined to remove this feature.

This policy is quite understandable. At the same time, Ian's point is still valid; the logical conclusion is that he and those who share his view should be directing it not at ProZ management, but at the ProZ members who are restricting the scope.

This is, if you like, a form of customer education. It may not be the service provider's function to overrule the customer, but that does not mean that he is always right.

Marc

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
FUNDADOR DEL SITIO
Time will tell Sep 12, 2005

MarcPrior wrote:

This policy is quite understandable. At the same time, Ian's point is still valid; the logical conclusion is that he and those who share his view should be directing it not at ProZ management, but at the ProZ members who are restricting the scope.

It's true that it is not our decision, and that arguing here is wasted breath. But I would not recommend directing arguments to askers, either. I'd say let them ask for help from whomever they choose.
This is, if you like, a form of customer education. It may not be the service provider's function to overrule the customer, but that does not mean that he is always right.

Agreed, the customer is sometimes wrong. We may see those who are directing questions to certain sets of answerers stop expressing preferences. Or we may not. I am interested to see.

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
alemán al inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Marc/Henry Sep 12, 2005

Marc wrote:
At the same time, Ian's point is still valid; the logical conclusion is that he and those who share his view should be directing it not at ProZ.com management, but at the ProZ.com members who are restricting the scope.

Quite right - and I have made a point of "asking the asker" on the two occasions I came across this.

Henry wrote:
After all, if a member wants help specifically from members in Portugal, for example, would it not be ridiculous for us to respond by saying, "no, it is not for you to determine who you ask for help."?

I don't think so: until recently, that was the way things were and I don't think it bothered very many people. In any case, I could abuse this customer-is-king attitude to state that I only want help from red-haired left-handers in Arizona - is it still up to me to determine who to ask for help? Yes, it's a deliberately far-fetched example, but where do you draw the line?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
FUNDADOR DEL SITIO
Please do not challenge the asker's decision Sep 12, 2005

Ian Winick wrote:
Marc wrote:
At the same time, Ian's point is still valid; the logical conclusion is that he and those who share his view should be directing it not at ProZ.com management, but at the ProZ.com members who are restricting the scope.

Quite right - and I have made a point of "asking the asker" on the two occasions I came across this.

Please don't do that or encourage it. You have violated KudoZ rule 1.1, which prohibits "using the forms for purposes different from their intended ones". In my opinion, you have also violated the spirit of rule 4.4, which forbids commenting on an asker's "decision to post a certain question, to grade a certain way..." If necessary, I will support clarification of the rules to prohibit exactly this type of action.
... I could abuse this customer-is-king attitude to state that I only want help from red-haired left-handers in Arizona - is it still up to me to determine who to ask for help?

I would say yes.

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Polonia
alemán al polaco
+ ...
a good point about the rules, I admit :o) Sep 12, 2005

Henry wrote:

... I could abuse this customer-is-king attitude to state that I only want help from red-haired left-handers in Arizona - is it still up to me to determine who to ask for help?

I would say yes.

Now, this is what I like
Although my preferences would slightly vary from Ian's

Pleasant evening/ afternoon everyone

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
alemán al inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
All for the asker's benefit Sep 12, 2005

Henry wrote:
In my opinion, you have also violated the spirit of rule 4.4, which forbids commenting on an asker's "decision to post a certain question, to grade a certain way..." If necessary, I will support clarification of the rules to prohibit exactly this type of action.

I don't think so: I merely pointed out (sweetly) that the quality of the answers would be better if the non-platinums were not excluded. In the same way that it is (presumably) OK to tell an asker that they'll get better answers if they give more context, this is purely for the asker's benefit.

In this case, I didn't comment on the asker's "decision to post a certain question" (I had no qualms with the question itself) or her "decision ... to grade in a certain way" (the question had only just been asked). It was how the question was asked - i.e. inefficiently - which was probably due to the mistaken belief that platinum membership is automatically an indication of quality.

Honestly, as much as I love this site and appreciate the wealth of ideas and hard work that goes into it, if my colleagues and I are going to be marketed to the general public as human dictionaries, then I would at least like to have the option of telling them which way up to hold the dictionary.

[Edited at 2005-09-12 18:32]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
alemán al inglés
+ ...
Askers restricting questions to platinum answerers - why? Sep 12, 2005

Just for the record: I wasn't suggesting that ProZ rules be violated or that specific askers be addressed. I simply meant that the issue could generally be aired in the forums. Just as one might point out from time to time that "in-country" translators aren't necessarily the best.

Marc

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Askers restricting questions to platinum answerers - why?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »