keelin feeney
keelin feeney  Identity Verified
アイルランド
Local time: 11:18
2007に入会
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
Not at all... Jun 25, 2009

I can see why others may imagine that we must be lonely as translators just as I am sure that I would be lonely in their jobs...just as well we all have different callings in life

As others have said, it is like any other office job (hours on the phone to clients, emails...) plus people coming to and from the house, plus friends dropping by if they are passing and feel like trying their luck (!) plus having your own ti
... See more
I can see why others may imagine that we must be lonely as translators just as I am sure that I would be lonely in their jobs...just as well we all have different callings in life

As others have said, it is like any other office job (hours on the phone to clients, emails...) plus people coming to and from the house, plus friends dropping by if they are passing and feel like trying their luck (!) plus having your own timetable, being able to travel...

I can't think of any disadvantages...and lonely, not at all!!!
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 03:18
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
追悼
so many people hit the nail on the head! Jun 25, 2009

I didn't know which person to quote!!

Nikki has her cat and dog. I have Jake, Jimmie, and July amusing me throughout the day.

And as another poster said, I have the freedom to shift my working hours all around, so I can hit the trail with friends at 6 or 7 a.m. for a couple of hours, come home, get cleaned up, and when I start work at 10:30, I'm not "late to the office."

Several others mentioned "the office" and what hell it can be to work with others. On
... See more
I didn't know which person to quote!!

Nikki has her cat and dog. I have Jake, Jimmie, and July amusing me throughout the day.

And as another poster said, I have the freedom to shift my working hours all around, so I can hit the trail with friends at 6 or 7 a.m. for a couple of hours, come home, get cleaned up, and when I start work at 10:30, I'm not "late to the office."

Several others mentioned "the office" and what hell it can be to work with others. One thing I really noticed after going freelance is that I had more of social life, because rather than hoping that office mates would want to do something social, I realized I had to make a circle of friends. And of course, that "created" circle was tailor-made to me, so the richness of the relationships was much greater.

Finally, though, I got tired of even that much socializing, so I moved to an isolated, more-or-less rural area. Now, I just have a handful of good friends, and that's enough.

Bottom line: I like being "alone" because with words, (as another poster said), I'm never alone!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their comments. This thread has been one of the best!

Patricia
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Translation: a lonely world?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »