Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
@Rebekka Aug 4, 2010

Thanks.

Indeed, I think that attaining cosmopolitan habits, being open-minded and generally doing things our way are just a few of the joys of being a freelancer!

Anja Weggel
Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:10
Member (2007)
English to German
Me too :-) Aug 4, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Rebekka Groß wrote:

I think I remember something like that - wasn't there a high percentage of people working in their PJs and even in the buff?

Yesss!!

Me too at least in the morning and late evening

But in answer to the original question... I am a non-smoker (and have been all my life) but I need chocolate or chips or other unhealthy food while working...

I like off-topic polls as well as professional polls... I am always interested in the "whole" picture and it is still everyone's own choice to participate or not, isn't it?

William Murphy
William Murphy  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
+ ...
Cell Phones and Driving... Aug 4, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

As long as people don't mind inhaling car exhaust every day, stuffing their bodies with chemicals or exposing themselves to radiation voluntarily, including their little children - whenever it comes to cigarettes, everybody miraculously turns into a medical doctor all of the sudden and is much holier than anyone else.

At least smokers are well aware of what their are doing instead of being mere victims to ignorance.

Well said Nicole! I smoke (and have for 25 years). I smoke outside because I have kids, I don't want the house to get hazy and because it gives me a break from the computer when working. My balcony overlooks a traffic circle and it seems every third car that passes has a distracted driver connected to a cell phone behind the wheel. This makes me think a lot about the human condition as it relates to 'addictions'. (Mobile phones are believed to cause brain cancer, car accidents claim more lives annually than probably any of the wars we've had in the last 60 years combined - http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/01/car-crash-epidemic.php). Yet, nobody is clamoring for bans on these things or foisting incredible taxes onto them like they do with tobacco. Of course, it is illegal to drive and talk on the phone at the same time but that doesn't seem to deter anyone.
I can smoke and translate but I have yet to figure out how to drive and translate.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
I don't smoke Aug 4, 2010

but I sometimes miss the cigarette break I used to allow myself when I lived with a partner who did smoke!

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Use your 'telefonino' for that as well Aug 4, 2010

dasein_wm wrote:
I can smoke and translate but I have yet to figure out how to drive and translate.

Really?

At last, it can be done and using a CAT as well (OmegaT)!

http://lukespear.co.uk/how-to-cat-tool-translation-on-mobile-phone/

Luke posted this just a few weeks ago. Best practice in a traffic jam first, I guess, and keep a weather eye open.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't do this to me Aug 4, 2010

All this talking about smoking. I gave up in January. My doctor makes me go and see him every three weeks to get me to look him straight in the eye and tell him I'm still not smoking (he's a bit of a campaigner and a trusting soul as you can see...). I have told him that I intend to take it up again on my 75th birthday. So, Lucía, Nicole and co, can we meet up then please?!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Nederweed Aug 4, 2010

or Dutch weed is good for creativity.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:10
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Absolutely. Aug 4, 2010

aceavila - Noni wrote:

All this talking about smoking. I gave up in January. My doctor makes me go and see him every three weeks to get me to look him straight in the eye and tell him I'm still not smoking (he's a bit of a campaigner and a trusting soul as you can see...). I have told him that I intend to take it up again on my 75th birthday. So, Lucía, Nicole and co, can we meet up then please?!

And I will be happy to bring some fine wine and cigars.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nope Aug 4, 2010

I used to smoke while working, but found that it got in the way of my typing. That, and cohabitation with a non-smoker, made me (by personal choice) move my smoking habit to the balcony out of consideration.

Also, FWIW, I stopped smoking (cold-turkey) for about 3 years, but fell off that wagon at the beginning on 2008 (darn it!) and am not really interested in giving it another try for the time being.

Gree
... See more
I used to smoke while working, but found that it got in the way of my typing. That, and cohabitation with a non-smoker, made me (by personal choice) move my smoking habit to the balcony out of consideration.

Also, FWIW, I stopped smoking (cold-turkey) for about 3 years, but fell off that wagon at the beginning on 2008 (darn it!) and am not really interested in giving it another try for the time being.

Greetings!
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apologies for having gone off topic Aug 4, 2010

Sorry Rafael - rereading my entry above, and I notice that I wasn't exactly addressing your question!

What I see as being the issue here is whether smoking can be indulged in at the same time as working, whether it interrupts and therefore means that the smoker is not as productive as a non-smoker, whether a cigarette break is actually a "good way" of taking a proper break from work etc etc

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
oops! lovely crema Aug 4, 2010

Rebekka Groß wrote:

Textklick wrote:

I call this my 'Translator's Toolkit'.

Only just noticed my last post was accidentally in German - sorry, sometimes I don't even know what language I'm speaking/reading/writing/listening to.

And I shouldn't post here after 11 pm because of the potential for typos :S

[Edited at 2010-08-04 22:16 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:10
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes Aug 5, 2010

Sometimes I smoke. 1 or 2 cigars per month, just when rereading the text.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:10
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
if smoking was totally harmless Aug 5, 2010

and caused no illness or even shortness of breath, i'd start smoking again today! But of course i run and cycle so....

As for cigars, I've always liked the smell of cigars. It's kind of a festive smell for me...it reminds me of my older male relatives who used to smoke cigars. Either they all gave it up or have long since died, but when I smell cigars, I think of family occasions like weddings. Back then, you could smoke indoors....so cigars make me think of weddings, the smell of
... See more
and caused no illness or even shortness of breath, i'd start smoking again today! But of course i run and cycle so....

As for cigars, I've always liked the smell of cigars. It's kind of a festive smell for me...it reminds me of my older male relatives who used to smoke cigars. Either they all gave it up or have long since died, but when I smell cigars, I think of family occasions like weddings. Back then, you could smoke indoors....so cigars make me think of weddings, the smell of carnations and other flowers, mixed with perfume...etc, it's kind of nostalgic. Like Proust and the smell of madelines....
Collapse

Rodrigo Mencía
Rodrigo Mencía  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do not agree Aug 5, 2010

dasein_wm wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

As long as people don't mind inhaling car exhaust every day, stuffing their bodies with chemicals or exposing themselves to radiation voluntarily, including their little children - whenever it comes to cigarettes, everybody miraculously turns into a medical doctor all of the sudden and is much holier than anyone else.

At least smokers are well aware of what their are doing instead of being mere victims to ignorance.

Well said Nicole! I smoke (and have for 25 years). I smoke outside because I have kids, I don't want the house to get hazy and because it gives me a break from the computer when working. My balcony overlooks a traffic circle and it seems every third car that passes has a distracted driver connected to a cell phone behind the wheel. This makes me think a lot about the human condition as it relates to 'addictions'. (Mobile phones are believed to cause brain cancer, car accidents claim more lives annually than probably any of the wars we've had in the last 60 years combined - http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/01/car-crash-epidemic.php). Yet, nobody is clamoring for bans on these things or foisting incredible taxes onto them like they do with tobacco. Of course, it is illegal to drive and talk on the phone at the same time but that doesn't seem to deter anyone.

Comparing a car, which is necessary for transportation, and a mobile phone, which is necessary for communication, with smoking (not necessary at all, apart from dangerous) is the sad demonstration that smoking is an addiction and that smokers need to believe things like these to keep smoking, lying to themselves.

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Very true Aug 5, 2010

Rodrigo Mencía wrote:

Comparing a car, which is necessary for transportation, and a mobile phone, which is necessary for communication, with smoking (not necessary at all, apart from dangerous) is the sad demonstration that smoking is an addiction and that smokers need to believe things like these to keep smoking, lying to themselves.

Exactly the kind of delusion I had for 15 years as a smoker. A painfully real delusion and very humbling once you accept it.

There are in fact a lot of road safety campaigns and, in the UK at least, there are very high fuel taxes and also road tax (not that this makes up for the accidents of course).

As for mobile phone radiation, as far as I am aware there is not yet any real evidence that it is harmful.

[Edited at 2010-08-05 13:45 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you smoke while working?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »