Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]
Poll: What time do you normally finish your working day? (your local time)
Автор темы: ProZ.com Staff
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Пуэрто-Рико
Local time: 22:35
испанский => английский
+ ...
And yet another nocturnal translator Aug 6, 2010

I piddle around during the day, but what with housework and bill-paying and errands and shopping and such, not to mention husband and telephone occasionally needing attention, it's usually somewhere between 5 and 7 pm before I knuckle down to serious translation work. I sometimes break up the evening work with a TV show or two, then work pretty much nonstop starting around 11 pm. By then it's cool, hubby's in bed, phone stops ringing, and the juices really start to flow.

I usually w
... See more
I piddle around during the day, but what with housework and bill-paying and errands and shopping and such, not to mention husband and telephone occasionally needing attention, it's usually somewhere between 5 and 7 pm before I knuckle down to serious translation work. I sometimes break up the evening work with a TV show or two, then work pretty much nonstop starting around 11 pm. By then it's cool, hubby's in bed, phone stops ringing, and the juices really start to flow.

I usually work till around 2 am, but if I'm feeling inspired, I may continue till 4 am, or (rarely) even later. Then I sleep till 10. Once or twice a week I need an afternoon nap to catch up.

I've tried the early-morning thing, but it doesn't work for me. I find myself distracted by a feeling of looming doom as time runs out on me, while the day gets hotter and noisier and I start getting emails and phone calls, and have to think about fixing meals and doing laundry. At night I feel free--it gets progressively cooler and quieter, and I know I can go on as long as I need to.

Of course, I couldn't live like this if I had small children. My translation career began after my "baby" went off to college.
Collapse

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Швейцария
Local time: 04:35
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Памяти
after 7 pm+ Aug 6, 2010

Actually, it is far after 7 pm, normally 10.30 pm, but I start only at 09.30 am.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Канада
Local time: 22:35
Член ProZ.com c 2009
французский => английский
+ ...
late Aug 7, 2010

usually i work during the days, and after dinner until late at night. I have no kids so that makes it easier, I admit...I don't have to get up super early so most of my work is done after noon.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 19:35
Член ProZ.com c 2003
испанский => английский
+ ...
Another night owl Aug 7, 2010

What a comfort to know that others are like me! My friends think I'm crazy, but now I understand that there are other translators with the same schedule.

I normally start in the afternoon, then break for dinner, the news, and maybe a TV show, then really get cranked up around 9:00 p.m. and work until 3:00 a.m. This works especially well for my European clients.

If I'm really swamped, then I will work all day as well. But there are so many interruptions, I make little pr
... See more
What a comfort to know that others are like me! My friends think I'm crazy, but now I understand that there are other translators with the same schedule.

I normally start in the afternoon, then break for dinner, the news, and maybe a TV show, then really get cranked up around 9:00 p.m. and work until 3:00 a.m. This works especially well for my European clients.

If I'm really swamped, then I will work all day as well. But there are so many interruptions, I make little progress. I do much better at night.
Collapse

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What time do you normally finish your working day? (your local time)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »